• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

my mind dosnt work like it should imho

D

Dave.smith

im 37 years old, male, i work 11 hours a day, manual job, i drink a bit in the evenings, i feel tired a fair amount of the time, never really happy, i live with my mother and brother.

BUT, the issue i have is, when someone asks me a question, alot of the time i get some form of mental block, for example with my dad the otehr day

dad ; did you see dave at the weekend.
me yes,
dad has the garage closed next door to him?
Me yes
dad when was that

now i answered sat night, i just thought he was asking when dave told me but he meant when the garage was closed. he meant when did the garage close!

the main part of the problem im getting at, i find it hard when people are explaining things to me, i find it hard to follow what they are on about, i easily get lost in conversations. Also i cant picture things in my mind, if my boss says, weld this on there and that here etc, i have to get him to draw it, or do it in small stages.

if i try to do simple maths in my head, 1+2+3+4, i do 1+2=3 and to hold the result while i look at what is to add next, i forget the result.

The only way i can describe it is, if a computer sending text to a printer down an old ribbon cable, and one of the wires is broken, and the output is nearly right, that is how i feel im thinking.

Am i just tired or should i go and see someone?

Kerome

Kerome

Well, I've had these sorts of experiences when on various psychiatric drugs. They definitely affect the attention, the ability to do mental calculations, the ability to concentrate, your emotional responsiveness, all kinds of mental factors. They do go up and down as well.

I think you would be best off first exploring whether you're missing anything in terms of nutrients, like magnesium, vitamin D, and so on. A number of these are essential supports for brain function. Also omega-3 oils are another. You could also try ginkgo biloba. A good nutritionist could help.

If you are still worried, you could visit your GP, and he would be able to administer a few tests for things like early onset Alzheimer's. It's unlikely to be any of these, honestly.

I don't think this sounds that serious ;) wishing you the best of luck!

D

Dave.smith

thanks.. ive ordered some ginkgo biloba from ebay and see how it goes. Ill get some cod liver oil too then.

I forgot to say also, i find it difficult to speak some times, stutter a bit, if someone interrupts then i forget what i was talking about.

thankyou!

Cazcat

Cazcat

Staff Member on Leave
I would definately speak to your GP, you descibe feeling low and not happy. Depression can slow the thinking processes asit is caused by an imbalance of brain chemicals and yor Dr should be able to advise if this is a posible diagnosis or if there are other things that could be causing it.

You also mention you like a drink in the evening alcohol is a depressant, so will make you feel worse in the long run, excessive alcohol intake can also cause damage to your memory and thinking processes too. This might be another thing ti discuss with your GP.

D

Dave.smith

right, i have drank since i was 18 really, now i drinka bottle of white wine a night, more on the weekends.

I have tyo goto the doctor again anyway having problems with my knee, so ill ask then

the other thing id say also, for some reason, the idea of exercise is hard, i feel weaker recently also, ill goto doctor.

thanks

T

Taffy

Go to the GP Dave and get some basic tests done, bloods etc. ;)

I think 11 hour days on what sounds quite physical work ......is exhausting anyway. And when you are exhausted, simple tasks, even just thinking.... can be like wading through fog at times.

You only get ten minutes with a GP at an appointment so best to ask if you can have a longer appointment when you ring to make it.

You might be best telling the receptionist that it is two matters you need to see the doc about ( i.e.knee and exhaustion and that you will need a double appointment. of 20 mins for a proper check over)

Welding equipment and being exhausted isn't a good combination though:eek:... your health is really precious... so be kind to yourself and get checked over.;) If you are on any medication have a look at the slip that comes with it and see if there are any side effects that might be causing how you feel. Just a thought.

All best wishes x