• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

My life has been derailed by a Sociopath Psychopath

P

PamelaAndserson69

Anyone out there experience this? I’m 3 months clean of this person but everyday is a struggle. It’s been a wild ride and each day I discover new lies, new manipulation, more secrets. I feel like I’m being filmed for a tv show because this entire experience with this person was so crazy and everything I’m realizing now is equally as crazy. It’s like if the movie dirty John & don’t fuck with cats had a baby. Has anyone’s reality been completely shook by a sociopath? How did you recover?

Desire less

Desire less

Sounds awful.
Emdr could fix it.
Look for answers on the internet about research how people can recover.
Perhaps someone else will provides a better answer.

P

PamelaAndserson69

I’ve seen 2 therapists, 3 psychics, talked to all my friends, I tell the story to nearly every single client of mine, daily. I’ve read books, listened to audiobooks, anything and everything self help. You could tell me to do one thing dangerous and I’d do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Desire less

Desire less

I understand what your saying been several times at the same point...you tried emdr ?

P

PamelaAndserson69

No I have not. I have researched it before.
I’m very open to anything! I’ve had light and sound therapy before which is a type of stimulation therapy as well and I didn’t have much success. But I’ll look into it!

jajingna

jajingna

I've never known for sure if someone was a sociopath. But the same as everybody else, I've had experiences with some lousy people who just make life worse for others and are best avoided. Sometimes you can't help some involvement with crappy people though. Could be someone at work, boss or co-worker, and you just gotta do what you can. But a more personal relationship, yeah, that can be rough. I allowed some people to use me before, or treat me badly without respect, and that is something I certainly don't want ever again.

Ras

Ras

there is a easy way not to get manipulated and used. Just dont trust anyone and take whatever they say for granted. Also dont put most people before yourself and dont let anyone treat you like you are below them

jajingna

jajingna

But if you do not trust anyone, isn't that a problem? Aren't you then just living with suspicion and doubt about the motives of everybody? That's not a good way to go through each day.

And we need to trust to have friendship and especially intimacy. Maybe if you have no interest in close relationships you can manage without trusting anybody, but most of us want stronger connections with others, and for that to happen trust is needed.

At the same time we also want to protect ourselves, so some caution is wise. But one can be too cautious. Not everybody is dangerous or manipulative. I think most of us want to feel closer to others, but I guess some will take advantage of a kind person or someone they see as weak.

Ras

Ras

But if you do not trust anyone, isn't that a problem? Aren't you then just living with suspicion and doubt about the motives of everybody? That's not a good way to go through each day.

And we need to trust to have friendship and especially intimacy. Maybe if you have no interest in close relationships you can manage without trusting anybody, but most of us want stronger connections with others, and for that to happen trust is needed.

At the same time we also want to protect ourselves, so some caution is wise. But one can be too cautious. Not everybody is dangerous or manipulative. I think most of us want to feel closer to others, but I guess some will take advantage of a kind person or someone they see as weak.
If you don't trust anyone, no one can betray you. You won't let your guard down which is good because there are people out there just looking to take advantage of people. I do it myself

You can have friends and intimacy without trust sure