My Journey with Depression, Anxiety and Life

E

ExToZ

Greetings All,

I've never shared, outside of a small network of close people, some of the struggles I've dealt with in recent years. My hope is that by sharing some of the things I've been dealing with, by opening up in a more "public" way, I can help make myself feel better about some of it. Perhaps hearing people's comments of support, or even of empathy from people who have struggled in similar ways, I can find more peace for myself.

I don't feel completely ready to open up about "everything" all at once. And in the interest of brevity, I'll try to keep each note on the short side.

I have--off and on, some times better than others--struggled mighty handily through bouts of depression and anxiety over the last (six?) years or so. Pinpointing exactly where, when, and why it started is somewhat difficult. As I've gotten older I've recognized patterns of origin that were effecting me even when I was young, but in my later years have come to learn what is "normal" and what is not. I will get into more of those types of things in a future note.

For now, I wanted to just "break the silence", in a sense, about the fact that this is something I have been struggling with personally, and it has been difficult for me at times. It comes in waves, as I said earlier. Sometimes I will go long stretches feeling quite good and normal. But those times just reiterate to me how much I want to get a handle on the more emotionally trying times. I've seen three different therapists over the last five years, and for a short amount of time I was prescribed medication for generalized anxiety disorder. While this actually helped me emotionally on both fronts initially, it seemed to level out after a while, to where perhaps I needed a higher dosage to achieve the same results, and some of the side effects were not worth the medication anymore. Therapy was (and still is) quite beneficial to me and I am happy to be able to stay away from medication, if I can.

Anyway, I will probably find a more appropriate thread to share some of my more specific stories, but for now, I just wanted to introduce myself to the forum and say hello to everyone. Thank you all for your time, and I look forward to interacting with you and hearing your stories as well.

M

MrHamilton

Very similar to my own personal experiences. I just want you to know that there are other people out here that are going through the same things. Thank you for opening up and sharing.

Boring

Boring

you've taken a good step, opening up and joining a mental health community to share your thoughts and struggles. welcome to the forums.