• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

My job

S

Shay94

Been a while since I made a post myself bout my mental health as I've been commenting on other people's stories/situations etc. But I can't hold this in anymore, my anxiety is thru the roof atm with my bosses plus trying to go back to normalcy after COVID-19, I'll try not to rant too long but apologize if I do...

I work in the animal industry at a cattery (boarding facility for cats, for those that's never heard of one). I've been getting the Jobkeeper allowance thing from Centrelink. Don't get me wrong, I love my job and working with animals but my bosses are ridiculous to work for. They've been open for 30+ years with huge clientele but in the 4 years I've been working there, I've known 12 employees who've left due to my bosses, they do not communicate with each other so we're often getting told to do one thing by one boss & the other one will tell us to do it completely different (husband/wife btw). I've had co-workers come up n tell me before they left that this place is toxic, no one here has lasted too long, they don't trust their staff to do their job or shit like that.

My anxiety is thru the roof as I'm only one working there, made a mistake with a booking few weeks ago which I got a warning for (still copping shit for it), they don't speak to me now unless they absolutely have to & if they think I'm not paying attention/listening, I hear them mumble shit under their breath. Been feeling like this last couple of years but today was the worst for me: I felt shaky, nauseous, didn't wanna get out of bed, sleep less/always tired, heart beating too fast/going out of my chest, came close to crying (is memory loss part of huge anxiety?). I dread going there now as I know each shift will just be the same... was wondering if there's any tips/suggestions to help? I've tried the deep breathing exercises etc, focusing on happy thoughts but it doesn't work when I'm so highly stressed... if you guys have other ideas, I'd greatly appreciate it x

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

It does sound like its a very toxic environment, are the clients okay with you? the humans bringing their cats in? :hug:

everyone makes mistakes :hug:

Are there any other catteries within reach of you? Sounds like your options are keep your head down and do the work trying not to come to the boss's attention or try get work with another cattery if the situation is intolerable :hug:

S

Shay94

It does sound like its a very toxic environment, are the clients okay with you? the humans bringing their cats in? :hug:

everyone makes mistakes :hug:

Are there any other catteries within reach of you? Sounds like your options are keep your head down and do the work trying not to come to the boss's attention or try get work with another cattery if the situation is intolerable :hug:
It's extremely toxic, they put on happy smilesetc for the first year for new staff, then quickly change to how they are now. I've been dealing with it for 4 years and I hate watching newcomers being treated like shit as well. I've booked an appt to get more antidepressants as I just can't handle going to work without them, I'm on verge if crying every time now.

The customers are fine with me, ive not heard a complaint bout me from them at all. I somehow manage to hide it when I walk into the office but after they leave, I'm back to struggling hard at keeping focused & just wanting to be home. I've been trying for last couple of years to find new job but animal industry is small so not many are hiring atm & even then, most boarding facilities are south of Perth River (there are a couple northbound but they've already got staff n don't need more). Plus due to Covid-19, employers are cautious of letting people in atm