My Itsy Bitsy Spider phobia

C

cuteladybug

Ever since I was little I have been terrified of spiders. They are just so creepy looking with their 8 legs and creepy eyes. I hate how fast they move.
I'm not sure where the fear started, though I have vague memories of seeing a scene from a movie, which I later learned was the ending to the original The Fly, and it scared the hell out of me. I think I must have been about 3.

Now I can't stand seeing one, pictures or video scare me. Even like a toy spider or a cartoon spider is creepy. It's so bad that even the children's song the Itsy Bitsy Spider scares me. I just keep picturing a spider crawling on me when I hear that song.. How do I get over this phobia?

C

cuteladybug

The solution is terrifying. I very much understand that. It requires to face fully to your phobia. However the great thing is that no matter how small step you do one day there's an other day when you will have done all the necessary steps.
Zoo has such program occasionally. This would be porbably the quickest overcome arachnophobia. However you could do little by little yourself that at the beginning not that very scare for example why not start with overcome the fear of listening that children's song you mentioned?

Take care

ps: for example to overcome my social anxiety there's only one way for me. To do it and not hiding from being socially open.
How should I start though? How can I get used to a song when I get the creeps just from hearing it?

W

woomcha

I feel you. I'm so sorry you're struggling with this. I wish I had the answer, but I'm still in the same spot you are. However, I can try to tell you what has helped me to not be /as/ scared as I once was.

- It's going to be really hard, but you're going to need to sit down with some comfort items, and listen to that song over and over again. Not so much that it makes you ill or panic, but small increments. Desensitize yourself to it.

- Remember just how much bigger we are than them, and these little jerks are just as scared of us as we are them, if not more.

- Once you can stomach the song, it's time to start looking at a picture or two. This one is the hardest. I was physically ill when I made myself do this, but the exposure made it easier to handle the smaller guys you find inside. A good one to start with is those ones you may see outside all the time. I believe they're called common house spiders. They're pretty small, and harmless. Working up to this step may take weeks, months, years, maybe even therapy. (i am in therapy for my mental health issues, but she has helped me greatly with this phobia. Don't be afraid to ask for help)

- Remember, it's a bug. It doesn't really have a will to hurt you. Breathe and know it'll be okay. One day you'll get over it.

I really hoped this helped, and I hope you're feeling better soon <3

C

cuteladybug

I feel you. I'm so sorry you're struggling with this. I wish I had the answer, but I'm still in the same spot you are. However, I can try to tell you what has helped me to not be /as/ scared as I once was.

- It's going to be really hard, but you're going to need to sit down with some comfort items, and listen to that song over and over again. Not so much that it makes you ill or panic, but small increments. Desensitize yourself to it.

- Remember just how much bigger we are than them, and these little jerks are just as scared of us as we are them, if not more.

- Once you can stomach the song, it's time to start looking at a picture or two. This one is the hardest. I was physically ill when I made myself do this, but the exposure made it easier to handle the smaller guys you find inside. A good one to start with is those ones you may see outside all the time. I believe they're called common house spiders. They're pretty small, and harmless. Working up to this step may take weeks, months, years, maybe even therapy. (i am in therapy for my mental health issues, but she has helped me greatly with this phobia. Don't be afraid to ask for help)

- Remember, it's a bug. It doesn't really have a will to hurt you. Breathe and know it'll be okay. One day you'll get over it.

I really hoped this helped, and I hope you're feeling better soon <3
I have started trying to listen to an insturmental of the Itsy Bitsy Spider. I don't mind that to much.