My Grandmas funeral.

A

aliwali

I've been to funerals before, but yesterday was my first burial. My grandma was born in london but moved to leeds with my grandad when she was 20, she decided to move back to london not long after I was born and therefore didn't see any of her 5 grandchildren or 2 daughters, my mum and auntie fell out with her because she moved to london, but after my nagging my mum let me go and see her for the first time 3 years ago, and she was everything I thought she'd be, strong, independant, and strong minded. I'm not sure if any of you have seen catherine tate, but the nan on that is like my grandmas double. Once we went to go see her the next few days were spent mimicking my grandmas sayings, and her amazing london accent. I saw her 4 times before she went in to hospital, and then me and my mum were commuting back and forth to london every week, I formed a bond with my grandma whilst she was in hospital and all she'd say in her london accent was 'isn't she a lovely girl'. My grandma never showed she was scared, but she spoke to a nurse and told her to make sure we were there when she died as she didn't want to be alone, unfortunately we wernt there, but a nurse held her hand whilst she passed. Until the last minutes of her life she was independant and witty and never lost her humour not for one minute. So many times we rushed down to london as we were told she was going to die and when we got there she'd say 'you expected me to be half way there din't ya' and she'd be sat up eating some chocolates (even though she's diabetic!) she passed away on a friday so we had to wait until monday to go down to london and clear her council flat, we slept in her bed, washed in her basin and cooked in her kitchen, because we only had a small car and it was half full with our stuff we had to skip most things which was very sad, it took us 2 days to sort her funeral out and clear her flat, 2 days to get rid of 84 years of life. Because she lived in the centre of london she didn't have any close friends so the funeral had 9 people there, just family so we just had a graveside ceremony, it was raining, and the ground was muddy, the people who move the coffin had a job on walking up a hill and I'm sure my grandma would of had something to say about there wobbly feet. The funeral like any funeral was very sad, but made even sadder by the lack of friendship. When we were clearing out her flat we found numerous letters to leeds council asking to be able to move back to leeds, and I know that this made my mum happy, but sad aswell. it's awful that she was alone in her little flat for 19 years and I wish that the council could of found a spare flat for her to live in. I'm glad I finally got the chance to meet my grandma and in her last few months of life she wasn't alone. she died on the 8th october and I'll never forget how it felt to be told she'd died. Life isn't fair :( Rest in Peace Marie Cunningham

blacktulip

blacktulip

Your Grandma will be so proud of you, she sounds like a real character.....her spirit will live on :hug: