• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

My "friends" said depression is made up, I'm so angry and upset!

?

>.<

My "friends" said depression is made up, I'm so angry and upset!

Ok so I was at school and my friends started talking about depression because they were mad that Im given more leeway at school, and this is what they said

"Depression isn't even real, it's psychological bullsh*t, theres no scientific test to prove it. It's an excuse for miserable s*ds to be moody with everyone else, and for addicts to get perscriptions. People use it as an excuse to get off work, and get benefits. Anyone claiming to have depression is an idiot, stupid retards can't take care of their own problems, thats no one elses fault. Why do you get special circumstances others don't get, why do you think your so special? It's pathetic, if I can't see it it doesn't exist. Grow up and stop wasting everyones time."

I feel like crying. I've just started coming back to school properly after a suicide attempt went wrong, and this is what I get. The teachers did nothing :/ this went on for ages.

I'm now so upset, I walked out of school and I can't go back, i feel awful again :(

J

jamesdean

Depression is very real who would want to make it up.

SimonB

SimonB

Sounds like bullying to me!!!

Ignorance is no defence......don't take it from them.:flowers:

Q

quality factor

Doesn't sound as if they are real 'friends' if they can't help support you and have some understanding. That's the problem, they are ignorant to what you have and are going through.
Hang on in there!

qf.

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

I agree, it's mostly down to ignorance. They may also feel afraid of your depression, afraid of the unknown. That is no excuse to bully you about it though. Is there a teacher at school you think might be more sympathetic? Or could your parents or someone from the mental health team speak to the school about this? Your education is important and you already have enough to deal with that is affecting it.

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
like Simon said it does sound like bullying. Can you talk about it with a trusted teacher at school. School days will be very short now don't let them ruin your chances of getting your GCSEs.
It does sadly show the ignorance about mental health problems that there is,a plaster cast is easy to understand but you have to be much more sensitive and intelligent to understand emotional distress.
Hope things are ok and get yourself back to school.
KP:hug:

?

>.<

Thanks everyone :) I spoke to the teachers, but they're not very helpful or sympathetic either unfortunately. I've even had one of the teachers accuse me of faking it in front of the whole class, saying "your using these appointments as an excuse to skip school, your a pathetic attention seeker" :\

I agree with the ignorance thing, no one seems to understand unless they've been through it myself. I spoke to my other friends about it, and they're really annoyed, esp. cos one of them has MH problems too. I just wish people weren't so judgemental :unsure: I mean, who WANTS depression? :(

R

riverofdragons

there are some fantastic schools around that take kids who have problems with ignorant kids/teachers/schools. not like special schools or anything...

Christs hospital school gives fantastic opportunities and lots of scholorships

D

DELATEXT

I'm with you on this, to hell with morons who cannot realise the torment and sheer hell of depression ??
I hope you will get through this and get some real friends, you're not alone and you are suffering from a genuine illness !!

(y)
del

2hoot39

Depression is real also happens to the best of us so lets just hope that your "friends" never find themselves with a MH problem!

Last edited:
S

skyblue

Unfortunately,... you'll find throughout your life quite afew people who think the same. I'm 34 and I know of afew. My so called best friend and my mums fiance has even said this to me afew times, it's pure ignorance and yes it is very upsetting.

Wishing you well x:flowers:

G

groovy72

I wouldn't wish depression on anyone.I'm really sorry you haven't got friends who are more supportive.I wish I knew what to say,except a virtual hug from me to you.

C

cloth101

Calmly (although you must be fuming) say to them that just because you can't 'test' for something does not make it fake. For example, grief. Pretty darn sure there isn't a blood test for that, but tell anyone who has lost ANYTHING/ONE close to them that they are faking or making it up and watch how fast they break your jaw.

Don't take BS from anyone and make sure you stand up for yourself. Google facts, figures and information to use as your ammunition against ignorant fools. This person isn't the first and sure as hell won't be the last.

Good luck xx

Last edited:
Lillyone

Lillyone

The one who should be holding her head in shame is the teacher.
What an a truly dreadful and ignorant thing to say.
Bet she would not be saying that if it was her - who was suffering.
I would say, do not rise to the bait, you know how ill you are, and how it makes you feel.
Let them jibe away, do not be sucked into their little games.
It is hurtful, and part of depression means we cannot always shake comments like that off, we dwell on them.

What I would do, is keep a diary of all these comments, and then hand it over to the head of the school at the end of each month or term; simply saying 'Are you aware this is what I have to put up with on a regular basis'!
At least that way, you are not being/feeling powerless, and writing it down is a good way to let those feelings go.

Good Luck.

speckles

speckles

I am afraid that attitude is out there they are just repeating what they have heard. Actually, there are loads of things we can't prove in life but it doesn't make them true. Can't prove love or happiness in a scientific test. We all describe the grass as green but how do I know for sure that we all see the same thing as green. Although it is hard don't take on views of others they can't know how you feel, aim instead to learn about it in order to teach them it is amazing how people's views can change. Many people who have known me and seen my troubles have radically changed there views. It is usually those people who just haven't experienced much suffering yet like to pontificate about it