my fear for my child, help please

Valarie

Valarie

Im have bipolar with psycosis, i also have a five year old daughter and i get so worried and scared that i have passed it on to her. I will worry and worry about this until she makes it to 30 with no mental illness. That is a long time of worry, any advice?

maxitab

maxitab

Valerie, all any of us can do as parents is the best that we can.
I have a personality disorder and fostered children throughout some chaotic times and some really off the wall ones! My foster son is 31 now and though he has a bit of social phobia, he's fine, and I think there were times when I put him through hell. Now he just shrugs his shoulders about it. They are amazingly resilient.
You never asked for this and I am sure you do your utmost, like any parent, to protect and care for your child. The fact that you are concerned about it shows you have awareness......
Relax and love your babe, I am sure things will be okay in the long run.
:hug:

R

rain and roses

i'm not a parent but i think that the best a parent can do is their best for their children. protect them, love them and just be there for them.

Valarie

Valarie

I commend you for fostering children, i couldnt do it. But mental illness is passed on through families. I was 18 when i had her and didnt have a mental illness then. I know i want more kids in the future, and you cant take antipsychotics while pregnant. And you cant breastfeed either, which is a very big deal to me. I am afraid of the unknown.

F

ffleaderman24

I commend you for fostering children, i couldnt do it. But mental illness is passed on through families. I was 18 when i had her and didnt have a mental illness then. I know i want more kids in the future, and you cant take antipsychotics while pregnant. And you cant breastfeed either, which is a very big deal to me. I am afraid of the unknown.
The only thing certain about the future is uncertainty.

D

directcornerkick

Well mental illness does run in families, it is genetic.
Though the genes of both genders come into play.
Your children will have a risk of getting /being mentally ill,
though they a chance of being fine. Sufficient testing
is not available to exactly determine this, there are expensive
tests that show probabilities. Someone with no known family history
of mental illness can have a triggering event and the inhered
genes for a certain illness , this combination of a triggering event
plus the genetics can cause the illness to be present,
trying to use an example to show how hard such a thing is to predict.
Do the best you can and I believe treatment options will be improved
in the future. 30 years could see dramatic shifts and breakthroughs
in the treatment and understanding of mental illness, this sees
very likely to me. Try not to worry( I know this is easy for someone to say).