My fatigue is getting out of hand

M

Mexis

I've had this devastating fatigue for so long. It seriously limits my ability to carry out normal activities such as school and work. It takes me 4-5 hours to even get out of bed. I'm supposed to meet my new doctor (I don't know who it will be) 2 months from now, but this day has made me doubt my ability to hold out until then. I live with my parents and I'm scheduled to travel to Stockholm to do an exam in the beginning of June and, a week after that, fly over to Spain with my parents for a 2-week vacation. This makes me doubt whether it's appropriate for me to take action now, because I feel I'm letting them down if we have to cancel these activities that I've agreed to, but I should probably not take this into consideration now. I'm tired and fed up living with this fatigue. It's also frustrating when there doesn't appear to be a medical condition that can be associated with my fatigue. All reasonable blood tests to test for fatigue, including hypothyroidism and metabolism, haven't shown anything wrong. I'm sure it's not CFS nor POTS either. It seems to be somatic. Healthcare doesn't appear to take my condition seriously and my parents disbelieve me. This makes me feel lonely in my situation. I have other symptoms as well but I just want a normal life so I can live in good conscience and be happy and able to trust my body.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

Gee Mexis this sounds miserable. Now I am no doctor so anything I say don’t just take it as fact.

With that said some decades ago I had ( with hindsight as there were no such labels then) chronic fatigue. I almost could fall asleep on my feet and I mean literally. Now at the time I worked in an environment that I had ended up becoming sensitised to crazy but absolutely true.

The environment had yeast spores in as I worked in a bread making environment along with also sugar and bleach ( which was used each day to clean the floor) I had to leave the job as my health was fairly crap by that point. But the boss was an ar** so I walked out but I am sure that was because I was so depleted .

What I had was Candida – gee its taken me ages to find anything sensible regarding this on the net.

Thrush in men (male candidiasis): Symptoms and treatment

What is candida? | Holland & Barrett

Poppy2014

Poppy2014

Hi Mexis,
This was me a few years ago, after a few years of arguing the issue I was finally referred to a respiratory consultant who dealt with sleep disorders, after months of tests and a few tantrums along the way I was diagnosed with idiopathic hypersomnia and given modafinil. I have a life now, a lot of modafinal, some CPAP which helps even though I don't have sleep apnoea, (have you been tested for that? ) and a diagnosis that I don't liker but at least I know the answer.
No one can tell me why I fall asleep and no one can tell me if I'm going to had a good day or a bad day, whether I need 2,4,6,or more modafinil to stay awake, but whatever happens I know I have the meds to support it.
You need to see a sleep consultant but from respiratory not neurology.
Good luck xx

mischief

mischief

Admin
Hi @Mexis

How is it going? I hope the exam went well.

Have you made progress on finding solutions which help?

@Poppy2014 suggestion of getting tested for sleep apnoea is a good one. A very high percentage of people with sleep apnoea experience depression and/or anxiety.

The NHS in the UK have a page on their website which outlines 10 medical reasons for feeling tired. I wonder if anything there would help identify what's going on.

M

Mexis

Hi @Mexis

How is it going? I hope the exam went well.

Have you made progress on finding solutions which help?

@Poppy2014 suggestion of getting tested for sleep apnoea is a good one. A very high percentage of people with sleep apnoea experience depression and/or anxiety.

The NHS in the UK have a page on their website which outlines 10 medical reasons for feeling tired. I wonder if anything there would help identify what's going on.
I'm still struggling. I'm always very fatigued but the fatigue can vary slightly from day to day. Some days I get out of bed in minutes while other days it takes me hours. Some days I speak more and other days I barely speak. At least I'm getting through the days. Right now I'm on holiday with my parents and I at least follow them around as they like, but I barely say anything because of my fatigue. I could give a lot of perspectives on my fatigue regarding how it affects my days, but I just want it all to end so I can live a normal life. I know this is not normal.

The exam went fairly well. I guess I could've done better under optimal circumstances (that is, no debilitating fatigue). It's been two weeks since the exam and I still don't know the result. I think I have fairly good chances that I passed it, but I am not convinced that I did so.

N

natalie

Hi Mexis,

I am just wondering whether and I can understand that you have dehibiliating fatigue, I am just wondering whether if you might have help from energise drinks, i can recommend a good type which I have just bought, and I am trialing, from my local main supermarket, that has a hint of glucose in, so that might help, and also, supplements that have iron in, might help you out too.

I do hope that you have done well for your exam, despite your problems with fatigue.

Nice to meet you,

Natalie.

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

I'm still struggling. I'm always very fatigued but the fatigue can vary slightly from day to day. Some days I get out of bed in minutes while other days it takes me hours. Some days I speak more and other days I barely speak. At least I'm getting through the days. Right now I'm on holiday with my parents and I at least follow them around as they like, but I barely say anything because of my fatigue. I could give a lot of perspectives on my fatigue regarding how it affects my days, but I just want it all to end so I can live a normal life. I know this is not normal.

The exam went fairly well. I guess I could've done better under optimal circumstances (that is, no debilitating fatigue). It's been two weeks since the exam and I still don't know the result. I think I have fairly good chances that I passed it, but I am not convinced that I did so.
i hope you passed the exam :hug: