• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

My Fathers Mental Health

A

adamevans

I'm not sure if this is the right place but I am trying to gather information/opinions regarding symptoms my father currently displays.

Background

During his mid-40's my father suffered what we believe as a "breakdown" that presented itself as depression, anti-social behavior, anxiety and memory loss but was never treated or diagnosed. Now in his early sixties he has pervasive short-term memory loss, disorientation, anxiety/irritable behavior if his routine is broken or his surrounding are changed. Also, he has been checked for Alzheimers and his brain appears to be normal. His energy level is high, and he is not as withdrawn but requires significant dependence on my mother. He also exhibits inability to perform normal functions like paying bills, grocery shopping etc...My mother and father work together at a resort and he is able to perform his daily tasks without any issue or supervision but cannot cope if required to think outside of his normal routine.

I'm not sure where to start trying to narrow down what the illness could be....any help is appreciated.

D

Dollit

Hi and welcome.

I appreciate your concern over your father's well being but the place for diagnosis of any kind has to be a doctors surgery. No one on here is qualified to say what they think it may or may not be. If they were qualified it would be unprofessional for them to say so.

We can offer you support and listen - we can tell you how we cope with our symptoms but it's really important that your father sees a GP but only if he wants to do that.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
K Mother's mental health 2 year journey Introduce Yourself 10
M A versatile half-crazy-semisane jobless personality with constantly alternating mental illnesses having encompassed almost all psychiatry Introduce Yourself 5
Ms Individual Hello friends. I have a few mental health battles. Introduce Yourself 5
M Long term chronic mixed mental health Introduce Yourself 12
P I'm having a complete mental breakdown Introduce Yourself 26
M I'm new here.I don't have any mental illness. Introduce Yourself 8
C Partner has mental health issues. Introduce Yourself 17
767s0 Here after a major mental breakdown.... Introduce Yourself 9
T I'm an author and I have mental disorders ... Introduce Yourself 8
J Hello just joined mental health forum. Introduce Yourself 12
S Traveling with Mental Illness: Day to Day Inside Look Introduce Yourself 8
S Hereditary mental illness Introduce Yourself 3
E Trying to get the NHS Mental Health Services emergency funding Introduce Yourself 1
L Impact of gender on mental health Introduce Yourself 58
L Why is The World unable to Comprehend Us who suffer w/ Mental Illness? Introduce Yourself 6
K Hello one and all! Looking forward to being part of this community as a long term sufferer of depression and retired mental health nurse. Introduce Yourself 11
P Does this sound like any mental illness? Introduce Yourself 5
J I Believe in Mental Health Introduce Yourself 5
T Just starting to take my mental illness seriously Introduce Yourself 4
J Hey, I need help my mental health ATM is affecting my life Introduce Yourself 11
M My Mental Health Introduce Yourself 5
2 uhhhhh ive got quite the cocktail of mental illnesses hello everybody Introduce Yourself 5
A Help! My mental health is the lowest it's been. Introduce Yourself 7
G Mental Health Law: The M'Naghten rules and the CRPD Introduce Yourself 2
F Hello! Im new here i have many mental problems like anxiety and fatigued all time. Any other? Introduce Yourself 5
V Hi there I'm Vernon with lots of mental health problems Introduce Yourself 6
D thank you Mental Health Forum for accepting my membership Introduce Yourself 16
L Hi guys , it is not nice having mental health problems Introduce Yourself 1
Murasakibee Hello, seeking help for mental illness Introduce Yourself 15
S Spirituality for mental health Introduce Yourself 4
C Hello. Im here to learn how to help, understand, and not give up on my fiancee. She has mental illnesses. Introduce Yourself 4
D I think i'm in serious denial about my mental health Introduce Yourself 2
Jam1990 Just your average guy with heavy mental baggage Introduce Yourself 4
dreampop82 New here at the mental health forum Introduce Yourself 3
Niche Bee New here, this is a big step for my mental wellbeing ❤️ Introduce Yourself 5
T Hello, new here and my first time talking about my mental health to anyone. Introduce Yourself 4
M Son with mental health issues. Not yet diagnosed. Introduce Yourself 11
S India and Mental Disease - Current Scenario Introduce Yourself 2
B Hi! I blog about my mental health Introduce Yourself 2
J Hi everyone new this suffer with a long history of mental health looking a bit of support from people that understand esp with my bpd atm Introduce Yourself 1
TrapRage616 Living with this mental illness is a nightmarish hell Introduce Yourself 4
A Adam: 34 and living with mental health problems since childhood. Introduce Yourself 7
T My mental health journey Introduce Yourself 4
D mental health message!! Introduce Yourself 6
4 No knowledge of mental health. What is my problem? Introduce Yourself 3
J Mental health and women in the criminal justice system Introduce Yourself 2
B Here as part of my own mental health crisis plan Introduce Yourself 3
C First time discussing my mental health. Introduce Yourself 6
A How Mental Health issues like stress effect our life? Introduce Yourself 2
R My Mental health issues Introduce Yourself 1