• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

My face is a mess!

LunaBloodmist

LunaBloodmist

Does anyone else have a tendency to self harm at themselves? . I have so many scars and scabs on my face...I look like a meth-head. I have hormonal acne and hair growth due to PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) and it's pretty disheartening as an adult. My diet isn't the best, either. I have a compulsion to self harm in my face. Sometimes I don't even know I'm doing it. I'm sure it's anxiety related. I have a rough time getting into a face care routine. Anyone have a similar experience? If so, what helps you?

Last edited by a moderator:
I

Ian Haines

There is a condition known as trichotillomania, where it's the head hair, eyebrows and eyelashes that get fiddled with and pulled on - you sound to have the facial/spots/blemishes version of that. I must confess that I've no idea how that would be treated, though. I hope you beat this habit/compulsion.

Wishbone

Wishbone

This one would probably be Dermatillomania. Do you do it because it feels like a compulsive act or because you want to hurt yourself?

LunaBloodmist

LunaBloodmist

This one would probably be Dermatillomania. Do you do it because it feels like a compulsive act or because you want to hurt yourself?
It's not because I want to damage myself. I definitely don't like looking this way. But it is very much a compulsion. I am constantly told to stop touching my face. Sometimes I don't know I'm doing it. I haven't really met anyone with the same issue or found solutions. If I use a fidget toy when driving, it's not so bad. Idk 😕

Wishbone

Wishbone

Definitely sounds more like the thing I said then. It's related to OCD and there is plenty of OCD linkage with Bipolar too, so not a surprise. I'd avoid using the term 'self-harm' as that will make people - us, and the professionals - think other things, which it's clearly not about.

Some info and tips on helping to stop it here: Skin picking disorder

LunaBloodmist

LunaBloodmist

Definitely sounds more like the thing I said then. It's related to OCD and there is plenty of OCD linkage with Bipolar too, so not a surprise. I'd avoid using the term 'self-harm' as that will make people - us, and the professionals - think other things, which it's clearly not about.

Some info and tips on helping to stop it here: Skin picking disorder
I didn't use the term self harm, it was moderated 🤷‍♀️ anyway thanks for the info