• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

My experience, how do I get over it

S

Sheisstrong

Hi everyone this is my first time on this. I am having quite a difficult time, my younger sister (24) tried to take her life 2 months ago, I was the only one at home at the time and the only one that was going to be able to find her to stop her, I'm not going to into much detail but I lost my mum 7 years ago which was nothing compared to how bad this day was, honestly don't ever want to go through anything like it.

Thankfully my sister is now doing so so well she is really fighting for life and she has taken the plunge to go to Australia and I am so so proud of her. She and I have spent approximately 5 years singing together and tried to make a career out of it and we are closer than close so although I am so happy for her to go to Australia I just can't stop crying about her going and this wee dream we had together ending.

I know things could be so different and she could be dead but I'm just going to miss her so much. I also suffer from high anxieties about people going away as when I was 22 I went to Australia which was meant to last 2 years but my mum died while I was there so I had to come home. I'm also finding it hard to get over her suicide attempt and I'm constantly on edge.

I know it sounds like I'm on a complete rant but I'm just so sick of always feeling sad, worried, anxious and wanting to cry all the time. If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it. 💓

Eleison

Eleison

Do you have anyone to talk to at all?

S

Sheisstrong

Do you have anyone to talk to at all?
I do I have a large family but I have sisters who are also trying to just move on and don't want to really think about it much more than they have to which I suppose is sensible but I just can't seem to switch off from it. My husband is very good but I feel so times I'm badgering on if you know what I mean. I think I'm just so scared of bad things happening.

Eleison

Eleison

Have you considered counselling at all? It can really help.

C

CFCs

Hey, I'm really sorry to hear about your mum passing and your sister's struggles too.
I understand the fear of losing someone, especially after losing someone else (if that makes sense).
I have a similar fear - I'd also recommend getting some kind of counselling too as this kind of anxiety can really build up in you and cause problems down the line (speaking from personal experience.)

S

Sheisstrong

Have you considered counselling at all? It can really help.
Believe it or not I've actually had counselling after my mum passing away, it definitely helped and then when I started struggling again with my own insecurities I went to someone else which cost me a lot of money and it helped so much but this event has just knocked me back so badly, sometimes when I'm at my home house last night for example I went to the toilet during the night and I was in the dark, I was afraid to turn on the light incase someone was in the room is ha***** even though this wasn't my sisters method, that sounds so dramatic but I am just always scared. But yea i think I might just go back to counselling again and see if that helps.

S

Sheisstrong

Hey, I'm really sorry to hear about your mum passing and your sister's struggles too.
I understand the fear of losing someone, especially after losing someone else (if that makes sense).
I have a similar fear - I'd also recommend getting some kind of counselling too as this kind of anxiety can really build up in you and cause problems down the line (speaking from personal experience.)
Aw I'm so sorry to hear that 😣 it's not nice at all. When the phone rings I think it's bad news, when a car comes through the street, when I go into a dark room during the night I am scared incase someone is han**** even though this wasn't my sisters method of suicide attempt. I don't know what's going on maybe PTSD from the events of that day. I shall try and get professional help and hopefully feel a lot better.

Eleison

Eleison

I think it sounds like a good idea. You've got another stressor, and it does sound you've at least got some PTSD symptoms. You deserve support through this.

S

Sheisstrong

Yea i think your right. Thanks so much it's lovely to speak to someone who is removed 💓