My experience - how can I help you?

L

LivingWithX

Hi all - firstly best wishes and keep fighting to all who are carrying the daily challenge we call anxiety (and I just call X). It's a massive battle and good on you for getting up each day and taking it on, be it in whatever way you are.

I consider myself extremely fortunate that after over a decade of savagely taking on generalised/social anxiety (and convincingly losing the battle) that I am now in a place where I can manage it and I live in happiness and contentment with what I have. I don't say this to say 'yay for me', I say it because I want to spend the rest of my life helping others.

I'm currently writing a book, hence the 'Living with X' which I have as a working title. I also plan to start a blog, create a social presence so I'm able to reach out to more people then build from there. I really don't give a monkey's about any money I'll make, I just know the fulfillment I'll get from being able to (hopefully) help people to enjoy the same outcome I've been able to have.

Thing I'd love to know is any ideas people have as to ways I can do this, what questions you'd have answered, and really how I can spend my days helping people like you. As I say, this is not about me building an empire but ideally it will be a way of making a living so I can dedicate my focus to helping people like me. I am based in New Zealand and couldn't find any forums down this way, and as much as I'd love to be involved with people from my country I'd like to assist anyone, anywhere.

Hope this is taken in the way I intended, and as I say best of luck to everyone on their journey. Thanks for reading.

J

johnram

what topics would your earlier self have wanted to know is where i would start, as that makes it authentic

what topics are you thinking of already?

T

Tomorrows a new day

Hi, i'm glad you are inspired to help others, that's one of the reasons i'm on this site. I've been down for 20 years, but i never stay down, and that's what has kept me going. I enjoy swimming to help me relax and I've also educated myself about the condition. Fear can control you and consume you, but it's designed to keep you safe, learn to live with it not to hate it ; )

L

LivingWithX

what topics would your earlier self have wanted to know is where i would start, as that makes it authentic

what topics are you thinking of already?
That's a good suggestion, at the moment I haven't completely organised myself with which topics I'll focus on as chapters or major focuses. I've got 'what didn't work' and 'what did work' as I believe both are important, making a plan for the future, my understanding of fear/anxiety and how to break it down/live with it, then I'll probably approach experts in the field to add the neuroscience aspect for those who need it to add strength to the ideas. I believe I'm as valuable as any psychologist/subject expert but I appreciate some people want to read the science. I probably won't go too much into my own life story, although that may be something that makes people to attach to the book as a whole.

But any other suggestions will be very welcome.

G

gam9147

General suggestion is to try to be as positive and encouraging and uplifting as possible. especially in the beginning. I know a lot of folks like myself when I have anxiety episodes turn to depression a lot as well and what helps me most is to look forward to a future point where I know I'll feel better, or at least I think I'll feel better and then work on begin OK with myself in the present to get there and bridge that gap.

So many layout a plan for what helps in stages. I know the workbook I use starts with exercise, breathing, meditation and works up from there while giving background and hopefullness with science (anxiety disorders are 97% or whatever the number is treatable!)

L

LivingWithX

General suggestion is to try to be as positive and encouraging and uplifting as possible. especially in the beginning. I know a lot of folks like myself when I have anxiety episodes turn to depression a lot as well and what helps me most is to look forward to a future point where I know I'll feel better, or at least I think I'll feel better and then work on begin OK with myself in the present to get there and bridge that gap.

So many layout a plan for what helps in stages. I know the workbook I use starts with exercise, breathing, meditation and works up from there while giving background and hopefullness with science (anxiety disorders are 97% or whatever the number is treatable!)
Thanks for the tips, really appreciate it. Laying out a plan is definitely what I'd advocate and will write about.

Keep focusing on today as you are doing. Once the today's get better and better, the tomorrows will take care of themselves.

Heidrun

Heidrun

Hi all - firstly best wishes and keep fighting to all who are carrying the daily challenge we call anxiety (and I just call X). It's a massive battle and good on you for getting up each day and taking it on, be it in whatever way you are.

I consider myself extremely fortunate that after over a decade of savagely taking on generalised/social anxiety (and convincingly losing the battle) that I am now in a place where I can manage it and I live in happiness and contentment with what I have. I don't say this to say 'yay for me', I say it because I want to spend the rest of my life helping others.

I'm currently writing a book, hence the 'Living with X' which I have as a working title. I also plan to start a blog, create a social presence so I'm able to reach out to more people then build from there. I really don't give a monkey's about any money I'll make, I just know the fulfillment I'll get from being able to (hopefully) help people to enjoy the same outcome I've been able to have.

Thing I'd love to know is any ideas people have as to ways I can do this, what questions you'd have answered, and really how I can spend my days helping people like you. As I say, this is not about me building an empire but ideally it will be a way of making a living so I can dedicate my focus to helping people like me. I am based in New Zealand and couldn't find any forums down this way, and as much as I'd love to be involved with people from my country I'd like to assist anyone, anywhere.

Hope this is taken in the way I intended, and as I say best of luck to everyone on their journey. Thanks for reading.
Wow that's a splendid idea , maybe you can keep us updated in some way? This forum, blog etc.?
So glad you can live with it in happiness, I think a lot of people would benefit from something like a book from someone who's experienced. I've read some of your posts and was quite inspired.

It might be a good idea to also include something from the opposite side, what should people around someone with anxiety do and how can they be supportive.
I think anxiety is a big and broad subject, so you might want to divide it in fundamentals (living on itself as daily struggles), and maybe further struggles, subjects like work, socializing and maybe tip it off with reaching full potential. Just putting it out here, you got me going now :p

L

LivingWithX

That's incredibly good advice, I hadn't thought about the 'living with' part of it.

Will definitely keep this site updated. I have a skype call with one of my country's leading mental health identities, who has written books, and I'm beyond excited about it.