• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

My Doctor has given Up on me.

B

BiLLy74

I've been taking Duloxetine for many years but early this year, I felt the medication wasn't having the same effect on my depression and my doctor changed my medication to Venlafaxine, which didn't help me much either, it just made me tireder, Recently my doctor changed my medication again to Escitalopram, which gave me painful side effects, stomach cramps, groin pain, headaches and nausea, Speaking to my doctor again, She said to stop the Escitalopram immediately, but as no anti depressants seem to work, don't take any at all, which was quite a shock but nothing else I could do, I stopped the medication over a week ago, I now feel like a zombie and hopeless, I don't know else to do !!!!

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I've been taking Duloxetine for many years but early this year, I felt the medication wasn't having the same effect on my depression and my doctor changed my medication to Venlafaxine, which didn't help me much either, it just made me tireder, Recently my doctor changed my medication again to Escitalopram, which gave me painful side effects, stomach cramps, groin pain, headaches and nausea, Speaking to my doctor again, She said to stop the Escitalopram immediately, but as no anti depressants seem to work, don't take any at all, which was quite a shock but nothing else I could do, I stopped the medication over a week ago, I now feel like a zombie and hopeless, I don't know else to do !!!!
It is a difficult situation, but you have told the doctor that two antidepressants were not working, so she has listened to you. And you have told her about bad side effects too, so maybe she did not want to put you through another one.

Escitalopram i think is one of the antidepressants that has the least side effects, or this is what i was told, as i had problems with them too on other ones.

Venlafaxine is one of the strongest i have heard of so if that did not help, i can see why she thought you would be better without any.

Are you sure they did not work? Looking back, were you better when taking them than when not? Because they are not perfect, they just make life easier to get through.

If you think you were better on them, you could have an honest conversation about this with her and ask to re start one.

If not, you could go the natural route which is oily fish, healthy diet, exercise, a healthy life where you avoid stress and stressful people and have a good sleep routine.

I can imagine how upset you must feel and how hopeless it all looks. We have to be careful what we say to the doctors though, if they are busier ones and less empathetic, less likely to dig and see what we need. Some have more patience than others and give us more time and support, some see everything in very black and white terms.

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

Hi Billy, I am sorry that you are feeling that your doctor has given up on you. Feeling given up on is harsh. Are you in therapy?

B

BiLLy74

I’m not on therapy at the moment but CBT counselling next month, also I have a PIP assessment soon too.

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

Counseling and therapy can sometimes be more effective depending. I hope this works well for you.

I think it's good to try since you are having many side effects. If it doesn't work alone then maybe you can ask about an as needed medication or ask to try something else. However, talk therapy and counseling might help more. 💗

H

hairybanana

Hey Billy, sounds a but rough and not really an ideal solution hey? I don’t know how it works over there but my GP, while helpful, isn’t a psychiatrist. So her knowledge in prescribing AD’s is limited. Is it possible for you to see either a different GP or a psychiatrist to talk about medication?

B

BiLLy74

It is a difficult situation, but you have told the doctor that two antidepressants were not working, so she has listened to you. And you have told her about bad side effects too, so maybe she did not want to put you through another one.

Escitalopram i think is one of the antidepressants that has the least side effects, or this is what i was told, as i had problems with them too on other ones.

Venlafaxine is one of the strongest i have heard of so if that did not help, i can see why she thought you would be better without any.

Are you sure they did not work? Looking back, were you better when taking them than when not? Because they are not perfect, they just make life easier to get through.

If you think you were better on them, you could have an honest conversation about this with her and ask to re start one.

If not, you could go the natural route which is oily fish, healthy diet, exercise, a healthy life where you avoid stress and stressful people and have a good sleep routine.

I can imagine how upset you must feel and how hopeless it all looks. We have to be careful what we say to the doctors though, if they are busier ones and less empathetic, less likely to dig and see what we need. Some have more patience than others and give us more time and support, some see everything in very black and white terms.
Hi, the Venlafaxine only helped really with my Anxiety, by making me sleepy, as I suffer from both Anxiety and Depression I rarely have any good days, the Duloxetine worked for me best in a way, but after 12 years I think my body got used to the medication and was not so effective, my Doctors Surgery is closing in October, and have been informed by CCG they are looking for a new practice for me and my family, So who knows where and what this will lead too.

S

SadRainbow

Former member
I've been on Venlafaxine more than six weeks now and I don't think it's doing much if anything (though I was on quite a low dose until recently). It's really disheartening when nothing seems to be working. I'm sorry you're in this position. Have you ever seen a psychiatrist? I would try to push for that if you can. Try to be assertive with the doctor and ask what the next step is. If antidepressants are not working it doesn't mean there's nothing else to be done, but unfortunately I think you have to really push to get what you need. It shouldn't be such hard work to get what we need.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Hi, the Venlafaxine only helped really with my Anxiety, by making me sleepy, as I suffer from both Anxiety and Depression I rarely have any good days, the Duloxetine worked for me best in a way, but after 12 years I think my body got used to the medication and was not so effective, my Doctors Surgery is closing in October, and have been informed by CCG they are looking for a new practice for me and my family, So who knows where and what this will lead too.

Will you be able to manage until then? If you don't think so, you can always get the tablets and decide later whether or not to take them.

12 years is a long time, but my friend was told by her GP a couple of months ago, that they don't stop working. Many disagree with that, but this is an experienced GP. My friend has been taking Citalopram for probably 10 years. I have been taking my antidepressant for 6 years and it is still working well. I have bipolar disorder so i would know very quickly and clearly if it stopped working as i would be in bed all of the time.

Have you looked at St John's Wort? It is in health food shops and in some countries like Germany, they are prescribed as an antidepressant. They are not cheap and you need a high dose, you would have to check that and also if you are taking any other medication.

Fish oils also can work as an antidepressant a psychiatrist told me, but again you need a high dose and good quality type. Again you would have to look at the details.

There are other options. I think right now if you can get some oily fish and healthy food, even tinned fish and mackerel, and get out for a walk every morning for half an hour for that essential daylight, you might be ok.

It is possible that there is another reason why your antidepressant didn't feel like it was working, such as any stress in life at the moment, being too busy or not busy enough, or not lookng after yourself well enough. Even iron deficiencies or other vitamin deficiences or even thyroid problems.

T

treasurebox

Try music therapy. Listening to relaxing, calming, uplifting, encouraging, and motivational music helps me. Also listen to positive and empowering podcasts.

Pedr

Pedr

Find another PDoc. I've had 4 give up on me, some quite quickly and some (the better ones) after a few years.

Have you tried all the classes of antidepressant? All the known combos and augments? There are A LOT of meds to try.

HTH, Pete