• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

My depression has prevented fatherhood

L

Lostsoul49

The other big area that weighs on my mind other than my loneliness and self esteem issues is this.
All my life I have dreamed of being a dad. I would give up everything in a heartbeat to experience what so many others have.
I only had one partner in my life and she never really wanted to have children. I’ve been single now for 14 years and at 49, it’s unlikely that my wish will be fulfilled.
It upsets me so much that there are many times I have cried inside over this. You often hear of women feeling this way but rarely do you hear about men.
Because of my crippling lack of self esteem I haven’t the confidence to go out there and meet new people. Not that I want a partner just to have a child With! Even a ready made family with step children would give an outlet for the love I’d want to give.
I don’t want to foster or adopt as they just don’t seem right for me but at the same time I feel so upset that I’ve not had the chance to enjoy what parenthood would bring. It’s even harder because I’m a teacher and around children a lot.
Of course, everyone I know has children of their own and I just feel that others think I’m odd or weird. Even I think there’s something wrong with me because of this.
Its just so painful to feel this longing that has lasted for so many years. I know I’d make a brilliant kind and caring dad but it feels like it will never happen.
I really do value any thoughts or ideas for advice on how I can manage these feelings. Thank you for reading.x

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
The other big area that weighs on my mind other than my loneliness and self esteem issues is this.
All my life I have dreamed of being a dad. I would give up everything in a heartbeat to experience what so many others have.
I only had one partner in my life and she never really wanted to have children. I’ve been single now for 14 years and at 49, it’s unlikely that my wish will be fulfilled.
It upsets me so much that there are many times I have cried inside over this. You often hear of women feeling this way but rarely do you hear about men.
Because of my crippling lack of self esteem I haven’t the confidence to go out there and meet new people. Not that I want a partner just to have a child With! Even a ready made family with step children would give an outlet for the love I’d want to give.
I don’t want to foster or adopt as they just don’t seem right for me but at the same time I feel so upset that I’ve not had the chance to enjoy what parenthood would bring. It’s even harder because I’m a teacher and around children a lot.
Of course, everyone I know has children of their own and I just feel that others think I’m odd or weird. Even I think there’s something wrong with me because of this.
Its just so painful to feel this longing that has lasted for so many years. I know I’d make a brilliant kind and caring dad but it feels like it will never happen.
I really do value any thoughts or ideas for advice on how I can manage these feelings. Thank you for reading.x
I completely understand how you feel, i really do.

At 49 there is still time. Many women are looking for a man just like you. I know men who have become fathers at 49 and 51.

Women are not so lucky as their ability to have children runs out.

Have you tried a good dating site? A proper one, where you can say openly you are looking for a wife?

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

Hi Lostsoul, it's not too late. Hope you will be a father one day.💗

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Admin
I'm so sorry Lostsoul, I hope you might become a father. Maybe when covid19 is over, you could think of joining a local group in something that interests you. You might make friends and meet someone.
Or like Tawny said try a good dating site.

L

Lostsoul49

Thanks for your replies. It is something that’s with me every day and I do hope that one day it might happen.
Who knows what the future might bring. I know I have to somehow find the courage to get out there and try living my life. Whilst I know there’s more to life than being a father, it feels like I’m missing out on so much.