• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

my daughter

R

rubyred

Founding Member
hi i have a 18 year old daughter who i feel has had some kind of mental disability ( dont know how else to describe it ) since she was 8 years old she has never been diagnosed not through lack of trying though. at 8 years old she wanted to die and would go into fits of rage attacking anyone who got in her way. she never fit in at school and as she got older just wouldnt go. when she was 13 years old i managed to get her refered to a pshycologist she whent once and refused to go anymore.
she is now 18 years old pregnant has no friends can not keep herself or her room clean has no interest in anything spends her days around the house in her pyjarmas has self harmed has no organisation and can be very violent

M

maudikie

Rubyred

Now that your daughter in18 it will be more difficult for you to get help for her,
I think I should contact the Mental health Team in your area, or your G.P. But now she is 18 they may not be prepared to communicate with you about her, Has she already got contact with any of the above? Can you persuade her to go to the doctor on her own volition?
As she is pregnant you could use the baby as a reason for her to get help, in the interest of the baby. Do you know who the father is If so can he get help for her?

R

rubyred

Founding Member
she has been with the father for 2 years on and of he tries to support her but he suffers from depresion as well and she has been violent towards him and he has has had to phone the police to help. i had to take her to a&e thursday because she had self harmed they had her assesed and now she has someone from mental health unit phone her every night and she has to go to the mental health center tuesday as a day patient problem is i dont think she will go she totaly wont accept she has a problem she thinks its everyone else

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Hi ruby. Very sorry to hear of your troubles - it is obviously important that your daughter gets the help she needs. If she doesn't go on Tuesday my advice would be to contact the Mental Health Team yourself and tell them how bad the situation is. Let us know you things go in any case.

Nick.

R

rubyred

Founding Member
well she didnt want to go so someone from the unit came to pick her up and just over an hour later she was back dont know what they talked about but she has another appointment, at least its a start i have to see how things go from day to day

M

maudikie

Rubyred

I am so sorry that your daughter is obviously still pretty ill, but as the health people fetched he I would imagine that they took her to hospita. It sounds to me as though she should be on section for re-assessment. I know it is a great worry for you. But try to realise that the Mental Health Professionals are doing their best under very difficult circumstances. There is little you can doabout it, other than keep in contact, either by visiting or by writing to her. I hope she would appreciate that, but she may not as she is obviously quite ill at present, and until she has been properly assessed and put on the medication w hich suits her condition she will remain in quite an ill condtion. It is for you to have patientce, and never give up hope.

All the best and keep in touch.

R

rubyred

Founding Member
i dont think i explained properly she has not been sectioned they came and took her for her appointment then brought her back home she has to go again next week and every week for 6 weeks at the end of the 6 weeks they think they will be able to decide what help she needs longer term. must say my daughter has sat with me and her younger sister and eaten a proper meal for the first time in ages also she has been actually laughing with us not seen that in a while eigther:clap: so whatever happened today its done something fingers crossed it stays that way

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
rubyred I am delighted for you - that is real progress :). But don't get disheartened if the progress gets interrupted - recovery (or discovery) is often a case a case of two steps forward, one step back (obviously I hope in your daughter's case it will be all steps forward!). The important thing is that she is getting help and is in touch with the right people.

Stay in touch and let us know how she and you are getting on.

Nick.