• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

My daughter

S

Stacy33

Got a daughter who has asd and learnig diffucties she 18 always had some issues with behoiuver not seeing risks , needs routinesstruggles with socail skills she stratmeted at school also eperlisey , hypo mobility , scolossi of spine

Past year she has low moods , then high moods , anxieties are more then ever she worrys about smalles stuff awell as impliustive thoughts which she does carrys out three times police been involved once arrseded she put her self into so many dangerous situations nor she seem to understand concegunces , she snaps at us for any thing she always moody
In outrage house at moment it's like walking on eggshells

My family history
My dad parents we cusions and married (from the gypsy commuity )
My father spent most his youth in bostal for behioual issues and spent most of his adult like in prison from serious crimes
My mum had persnaily disorder spent time in hosptails also three years in prison both my father and mum deemed unfit to raie me and my sister ( adopted by my mum ,mum ) we did not see our parents due to the above resons
My great great grand had manic depression (bipolor ) spent most her life in
My daughter dad other son has adhd

Gp mention bipolor with my daughter we be seeing some one in 4 weeks is the information i given puts my daughter under the label and with my family history inderstandly we worried

R

Rose19602

Hi Stacy,
:welcome: to the forum and thank you for informing us about your family history and the difficulties you are having with your daughter.

It sounds like an enormous amount to cope with and to pick through in order to get to the right diagnosis.

ASD, epilepsy and learning difficulties is enough to deal with, without further diagnoses to do with mental health. I am not surprised that you are worried.

There are a lot of social factors to consider within your family too....and hopefully psychiatry will be sensible and not automatically jump towards a diagnosis like bipolar.

There has recently been a lot on the news about children diagnosed with ADHD being likely candidates for bipolar disorder. It may be worth looking up the news articles if you are interested. There were new directives for GP's issued by NICE recently relating to adults who were diagnosed with ADHD as children. This may be why your GP has referred her?

We are here for you to support you through this....that's the good news!

Please keep posting to us and we will do what we can to guide you through it all.
It's very difficult to deal with your children being diagnosed with mental health issues.
Many of us have been there!

take care
x

S

Stacy33

Hi Stacy,
:welcome: to the forum and thank you for informing us about your family history and the difficulties you are having with your daughter.

It sounds like an enormous amount to cope with and to pick through in order to get to the right diagnosis.

ASD, epilepsy and learning difficulties is enough to deal with, without further diagnoses to do with mental health. I am not surprised that you are worried.

There are a lot of social factors to consider within your family too....and hopefully psychiatry will be sensible and not automatically jump towards a diagnosis like

bipolar.

There has recently been a lot on the news about children diagnosed with ADHD being likely candidates for bipolar disorder. It may be worth looking up the news articles if you are interested. There were new directives for GP's issued by NICE recently hi relating to adults who were diagnosed with ADHD as children. This may be why your GP has referred her?

We are here for you to support you through this....that
Please keep posting to us and we will do what we can to guide you through it all.
It's very difficult to deal with your children being diagnosed

take care
x
Hi thank you for getting back

When you mentioned about socail issues with in my family do you meed the metsl Heath side and all family with behoiaual issues I know my dad and his three brothers all had behoiaual issues some ended in bostal and prison

My mum she had border line persnality to be honest she fits asd to , she also had time in hosptail for metal issues and three years in prison

There were decided unfit to raise me and sister so I don't know much about them

But my daughter is showing a lot of traits

If familys inbread which my dads family have has there there the old fashion travelers would this might of course my daughter issues even thou she has no contact DNA ..

Just hope we get her sorted soon

Adhd I was told she had that but it's part of her asd very confused mum

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

Hi Stacy33

I just wanted to wish you well and welcome you to the forum.

I hope that you find the answers you are looking for and get the help for your daughter that she needs. It must be hard for you to see her going through this and also very difficult to cope with at times. Stay strong.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum.
I hope that your daughter gets the care she needs from the doctor.

R

Rose19602

When you mentioned about social issues with in my family do you mean the mental Heath side and all family with behavioural issues I know my dad and his three brothers all had behavioural issues some ended in borstal and prison
It's complicated looking at family histories and working out what was caused by the way family members were brought up. Behavioural issues and borderline personality disorder are normally thought to be caused by upbringing and with Borstal, prison, social services involvement and some of the other social aspects of your parents' lives this perhaps explains a lot. This is not something that will touch your child if she has been away from it all.

ASD and learning difficulties can happen to anyone and it seems to be a very unclear picture in terms of where they cross over with mental health. No one really seems to understand autism...although there are a lot of people who think they do!

It seems that some people with ASD and learning difficulties go on to have mental health difficulties. Is this caused by the condition itself (ASD) or is it because life is difficult for people with these conditions and so they develop anxiety, depression etc as a result? I don't know tbh. As a parent you can only help your child to make sense of the world and protect them as best you can.

ADHD is a difficult one too. It was a very popular diagnosis some years ago and yet recently it's been discredited. It has been said that ADHD carries a risk of mental illness (anxiety disorders and personality disorder in the main) in adulthood. It seems to get diagnosed alongside ASD quite a lot too. Again, I wonder whether the mental health conditions develop because childhood is tough for these children and they are misunderstood. Whether ADHD actually exists is a question many people have asked. My children got diagnosed with it too.

It's hard to know whether your daughter has the traits you describe in your parents or whether she has developed them due to her ASD. Try not to focus too much on inherited conditions and the inter-breeding...(sorry not a nice term)...these are all things that are outside your control. You've done your best and there's no conclusive proof that these conditions can be inherited, although there is a high incidence of symptoms within families.

I've worried about inherited traits with my own children and took comfort from something that someone very wise said to me...."It is only natural that your children will remind you of your relatives and that you will look for similarities and traits, but there is a lot you can do and that they can do to make the outcomes different and it is that that really matters as your child goes through life".

Hang on to that as you go through this, and don't feel tempted to accept everything that psychiatry tells you perhaps. Do what you feel is best for your child and your family and follow your heart. If you love her and are there for her in times of need, you can do no more.

x

Last edited by a moderator:
RainbowHeartz

RainbowHeartz

hello and welcome :welcome: