• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

My Daughter has just been diagnosed

S

suki1066

hello all, my daughter is just going through assesments, she is 21 and from a mums point of view always been diffrent. We want to support her, and she is scared her 3 yr old will be taken off her, hence her keeping alot back from the doctors and therepists, untill i opend my mouth and told the doc, excactly what she is like, and she needed proper help. she had been given olanazpine for 5 days and this has wiped her out, she has been on citalopram (as am i now!!!) for 8 months. Can you give me some indecation what im going to up against not only with dd but the hospital as well
many thanks

DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

hello all, my daughter is just going through assesments, she is 21 and from a mums point of view always been diffrent. We want to support her, and she is scared her 3 yr old will be taken off her, hence her keeping alot back from the doctors and therepists, untill i opend my mouth and told the doc, excactly what she is like, and she needed proper help. she had been given olanazpine for 5 days and this has wiped her out, she has been on citalopram (as am i now!!!) for 8 months. Can you give me some indecation what im going to up against not only with dd but the hospital as well
many thanks
Hi firstly welcome to the forum:welcome:

Children are very rarely taken off their parents this only happens as a last resort. Children are certainly not removed from their parents just because a parent has a mental health condition if that were the case more than half of the UK's children would now be living in care!

If your daughter does have Bipolar and she has been on Citalopram without a mood stabilizer this would have made her moods even worse and quite possibly triggered off manic episodes. I'm sure the doctors she is under have explained this all to you?

If you are unsure of anything speak directly to the doctor who is treating your daughter as that is what they are there for. Are the social services currently involved in your daughters case?

L

lite_

Hey there,

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter, I'm not sure about the circumstances she is in. But be prepared to be a third wheel and your amusement will gradually increase about that all important 'confidentiality' clause if she is sectioned. Try not to be hostile toward the the MH staff they will not tell you anything and if they do, its only a courtesy and you should be thankful for that. It depends if she went in voluntary or sectioned, the voluntary ones have the run of the show and are allowed many privileges.

Sometimes they can threaten you legally and are allowed to remove your parental rights. Talking to the doctors behind her back, might make her distrust you a little. It depends on her relationship with the doctors and her response to the assessment. Im sorry to hear about the olanazpine, it does have side effects, i wont scare you with that. Lithium is from my experience is ideal. Unfourtantely only with experience can you find the correct dosage and the correct medication, semi-sodium valporate (a mood stabiliser and anti epileptic) has a really hilarious and interesting side effect, it made me loose lots of weight, which I might say I was rather pleased about. Although it did feel like I was extremely hungry all-the-time and I couldn't eat a morsel of food.

Not had any experience with citalopram before. The aim of the game is for both of you to relax, bring her some things like warm socks, slippers and nice Pyjamas. Maintain regular contact, and if i were you i would stay away from the medical side of things, just visit her regularly. Every single day is best once a week is not enough.

Try to get her mind of the assessment and keep bringing those surprises cute little soaps of all shapes and sizes and different colored ones too, shampoo and handwash. Keeping clean will leave her feeling great. :D

A common trait of Bipolar people, they lack essential fatty acids, Fish Oil, Omega 3, Pura EPA 90%

Take Care

Last edited: