• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

my dad - rant alert!!!!

Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

ok, so ill start off with the fact that i always wanted to be a daddys girl, as a kid i remember loving my dad so much, and longing, aching for his attention.
i never got it.
as a child my dad worked nights, he was a grumpy and angry man. i remember Being shouted at a lot, getting smacked with a belt, being told to shut up, that i was a liar etc.... and still i craved his attention.
he's mellowed in his old age, hes got step kids and is nice to them, hes a good grandad to my kids, although he does favour my brothers kids.
and still i crave his attention, long to be that daddys girl.

nonotme

nonotme

o still i crave his attention, long to be that daddys girl.

I'm going to be harsh here sorry. but sometimes we can't get what we want. for what ever reason.

I would say to you for the safety of yourself, let this go, let him be the man he is now. warts and all.

if you don't you will chase this for the rest of your life and still get no answers, love him, like him for who and what he is and has become.

we are all human.

sorry.

Me.

Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

thanks you - I've been mulling this over a lot this morning and kinda came to the same conclusion. i need closure on this, to move forward. i think i can accept who is and isnt and deal with it. it's the kick in the teeth when i wave the white flag, say im struggling and get no response. that too i guess i need to accept?

nonotme

nonotme

say im struggling and get no response. that too i guess i need to accept?
at times some people just don't relate to their children, I have been the same over time. not all of us can be good parents.

your father is the man he is, that's all. and I'm sure he knows what he has missed out on.....

and i'm sure your a cracking mom...

Last edited: