• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

My CPN is useless and a waste of my time

S

switch

I really just want to vent on here how useless my CPN is. All she ever does is talk about herself. She tells me about her husband, her social life, her shopping trips, her friends, her retirement anything but talk about me. No deep conversation has ever taken place between us. I feel like she knows nothing about me and is not interested in knowing me at all. She asks if I'm still taking my medication which is the only relevant question she asks me.

Some people say that madness is becoming detached from reality and that is really a detachment from human reality and human relationships and that rings true to me. I don't have any real relationships where I'm understood and listened to. Surely that should be part of her job - to provide a healing therapeutic relationship? But she only wants to jabber on herself and make smalltalk.

I was thinking she's probably harmless and just wasting my time but really it is harmful that she isn't helping me in anyway. She's no good at her job in essence.

ScaredCat

ScaredCat

Have you considered changing to someone else. In my experience they vary greatly

S

switch

Yes I've considered. I don't know if I'm up to telling her to face what I think of her and I only see her once a month anyway.

ScaredCat

ScaredCat

You could always just send a letter requesting a change of Cpn. Thats what i did

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Or phone up the main reception of your local CMHT and ask to speak to someone about changing your CPN.

I've had some really shit care co-ordinators/CPN's/workers - whatever they call themselves.
It does make you wonder why they ever bothered to get a job. Some would be more suited as hairdressers with their ability to talk endlessly without actually saying anything. :rolleyes:

I would try to ask for someone else. It might not feel comfortable making the request, but you are within your right to do so.

bulbie

bulbie

My last one came out, wrote a care plan, then told me to get a bike and cycle to the jobcentre before discharging me. Definitely change.

T

Thoth

My last one came out, wrote a care plan, then told me to get a bike and cycle to the jobcentre before discharging me. Definitely change.
That sounds very helpful. I personally would throw a curveball at her and see if she could handle a deeper conversation. I mean what is life?

Physicist Erwin Schrödinger defined life as "living things avoid decay into disorder and equilibrium." So lets think about it every living thing is made up of cells. A cell is a essentially a protein based robot to small to feel or experience anything. It has the attributes to the definition of life from Schrödinger. It has a wall that separates itself from the surroundings to create order; it regulates itself, and maintains a constant state It eats stuff to stay a live; it grows and develops; it reacts to its environment; it is subject to evolution, and it duplicates itself. However of all the parts that make up the cell, none of it is alive.

A cell can build several thousand types of protein, some simple to some very complex micro-machines. But no part of the cell is alive, everything is just simply dead matter. So then is life the aggregate of all these reaction processes taking place?

But then what about viruses? they are basically strings of RNA (DNA) is a small hull, and need cells to do something. we're not sure if they're counted as living or dead, and still there is 220 million plus cubic meters of viruses on Earth. There are even viruses that invade dead cells and reanimate them so they can be a host for them.

So what is alive? It would be interesting to see her reaction to that. But seriously you should consider changing your CPN if that's all she does, or report/complain to someone higher up the ladder if you can not change.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Once my p-doc arranged someone to help me with any problems. She was not a CPN - somebody else.
She was NHS , but just to make sure I was coping.

Anyway she came to my flat - which was a total mess. I told her I was on the verge of bankruptcy - going to lose my job - flat etc. But she seemed to think I was doing fine and did absolutely nothing.

Honestly at the time I was okay with it - but looking back it seems farcical.

Anyway to the OP - yeah that sounds awful.

Y

yoyogirl

I would definitely speak to your p-doc about getting a new cpn just explain your reasons and see what he/she says.

coldwater00

coldwater00

I really just want to vent on here how useless my CPN is. All she ever does is talk about herself. She tells me about her husband, her social life, her shopping trips, her friends, her retirement anything but talk about me. No deep conversation has ever taken place between us. I feel like she knows nothing about me and is not interested in knowing me at all. She asks if I'm still taking my medication which is the only relevant question she asks me.

Some people say that madness is becoming detached from reality and that is really a detachment from human reality and human relationships and that rings true to me. I don't have any real relationships where I'm understood and listened to. Surely that should be part of her job - to provide a healing therapeutic relationship? But she only wants to jabber on herself and make smalltalk.

I was thinking she's probably harmless and just wasting my time but really it is harmful that she isn't helping me in anyway. She's no good at her job in essence.
My old CPN was exactly like this, I think she saw me as more of a friend than a service user. Even when I sat there and (in hindsight) talked utter rubbish she didn't seem concerned. Perhaps that was more to do with their internal care plan (the one they don't tell you about) - basically it's directions on how you are to be "managed" when being seen in appointments. Mine was that they are to give me space, medication is off the cards, and to "allow time for fluctuation" - basically it was a good excuse to do nothing and just talk about shopping. Sometimes I was really upset and wanted support but it wasn't forthcoming, they try to force you to not be dependant.