• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

My cousin has schizophrenia

S

SuperPancake

My cousin is a lovely guy, 32yo. He is a musician, a skilled flutist and pianist. He was like the brother i didnt have. I care for him deeply, although he lived far away, with no social media so it was hard to contact him. But he is my childhood memories, my best friend. Everytime i see him he is as close to me as he always was. Like a day didnt pass. I cherish him deeply. 2 years ago i was told he was diagnosed with schizophrenia. I didnt contact him, i didnt know what to tell him. I felt guilty of knowing it. But my profession once more dragged me to him. His doctor asked for a dentist to see him but nobody was interested. I did the small journey and passed 3 days with my uncles, him and my other cousin. I've never conntacted anyone with that condition. I was a bit scared buti i wanted to see him and tell him that i can help him. He was nothing of what I imagined like dangerous or anything. But he was.. ehmm.. weird. So for the people here who know of these, i would appreciate some advice and what could i do as a friend/cousin to support him emotionally.
He used to make weird rhymes. He always liked rhymes but now he won't finish a sentence until it rhymes
Each key of the piano has a name. Some keys are haunted. There are spirits in the house, some of them malevolent, a requiem must be played to stop them.
He worries about me, the spirits will attack me, he insisted of teaching me a protective tune.
At times he was like.. deactivated? you would talk to him no response, you would shake him no reaction.
He waned me to play box with him (i'-m an amateur boxer).-
He would let me examine him only if i checked certain places that are empty.
He has visual hallucinations. He draws the spirits in paper.---

Bhonest

Bhonest

Let him be him. You say he’s a pianist, maybe listen to his music. Be honest and open and hope he takes his meds. My sister was wary of me but all I needed was her truth, help and love. I wish my sister opened up and told me what she thought of me rather than play her own thing in the background.

Avolitionist

Avolitionist

This can be difficult to understand, but your cousin likely wants to interact with you and probably misses your time together. That being said it can be impossible to negotiate the input your own senses give you when dealing with this disease.

In my case those periods of long silence and inactivity were actually attempts to get my head around everything that was going on in my world. All the strange little rules and rituals were attempts to negotiate my reality so I could interact with the world around me.

Its difficult to accomplish anything when your brain associates all stimulus as relevant and important. Things and actions take on meanings that no one else can ever be made to comprehend. Hallucinations only compound this.

I second the notion of letting him be him. He has no other choice at the present moment. His rituals are important to him for reasons we likely can't understand and he probably can't explain.

Just remember that it is madness to try to make sense of madness, and sense need not be made to love him.

S

SuperPancake

@Bhonest i always listened to his music. He's a very skilled pianist. His parents were totally against music as a career and most of his education was paid by scholarships he earned. He used to teach and compose. He has even published some audiobooks with fairytales and music. I's a weird thought but it feels as he lives in one of these tales.

@Avolitionist He is very happy to interact with me. And other people as well. He doesnt care if someone tells him this is not real. He mostly believes that he sees something that we cannot. Like a super hero from a movie or a psychic. When he was "deactivated" it was a very strange situation. I called his parents they were not worried. He just "pauses' for some time they said. I tried to "wake" him by touching him, shaking him, talking to him, playing with his hair. I even got so close to his eyes just to see if they move at all. Apart from that I believe he is the equivalent of the mad scientist cliche. He composes nice pieces of music. He can sing them, he makes songs and tales. Even his publisher is interested to publish more of his work. But the big question is, will he get better? I'm a dentist, i know nothing of this field but i had the idea that patients do get better. But it's too years. I got him the filling that he needed in a friend's dental office. We were three people trying to get it. The procedure under general anaesthesia would be the best but the anaesthesiologist was against it due to his medicationns. But we fixed it. Today i decided to mail him.

Avolitionist

Avolitionist

People do recover some semblance of a normal life provided they aren't treatment resistant and accept treatment at some point.

I can say I would never have gotten out of psychosis without the support of my family. It took me over two tears to admit something wasn't right, and even then it took a crisis team intervention and involuntary inpatient time. I couldn't find my way out on my own.

M

Mistral

My brother, who had paranoid schizophrenia, lived with for three years before he died in his fifties of a physical illness. He was only formally diagnosed schizophrenia a few months before he came to live with me.

As his carer I was able to speak to his psychiatrist who told me that my brother had had schizophrenia since his mid-teens. He also said that schizophrenia is where behaviour and emotions become disconnected. I certainly saw this in my brother. His emotions were always all over the place. He was very very unpredictable. He sometimes would not care about someone being disrespectful to him and even sometimes tried to befriend them. Other times he would not want to see people who were trying to help him. He would call them spies and say they were out to kill him.

He had a very high IQ and this, I think, drove him into a world of trying to deal with his emotions by the use of pure intellect. He died before the film "A Beautiful Mind" was released, but the film could almost have been based on his life. He thought he saw codes in newspapers. He would post unstamped letters to his imaginary secret service officer in the middle of the night etc. Where this life differs from the film was that he did not get help as soon as the main character in the film did. I wished he could have gotten the help he needed before he did.

S

Stormycat

@Bhonest i always listened to his music. He's a very skilled pianist. His parents were totally against music as a career and most of his education was paid by scholarships he earned. He used to teach and compose. He has even published some audiobooks with fairytales and music. I's a weird thought but it feels as he lives in one of these tales.

@Avolitionist He is very happy to interact with me. And other people as well. He doesnt care if someone tells him this is not real. He mostly believes that he sees something that we cannot. Like a super hero from a movie or a psychic. When he was "deactivated" it was a very strange situation. I called his parents they were not worried. He just "pauses' for some time they said. I tried to "wake" him by touching him, shaking him, talking to him, playing with his hair. I even got so close to his eyes just to see if they move at all. Apart from that I believe he is the equivalent of the mad scientist cliche. He composes nice pieces of music. He can sing them, he makes songs and tales. Even his publisher is interested to publish more of his work. But the big question is, will he get better? I'm a dentist, i know nothing of this field but i had the idea that patients do get better. But it's too years. I got him the filling that he needed in a friend's dental office. We were three people trying to get it. The procedure under general anaesthesia would be the best but the anaesthesiologist was against it due to his medicationns. But we fixed it. Today i decided to mail him.
Thanks for sharing about your cousin. I’m just wondering how you made the filling without anaesthesia. because I need to see my dentist soon for cavity. I’m taking antipsychotics now. Again thank you for sharing.

S

SuperPancake

Thanks for sharing about your cousin. I’m just wondering how you made the filling without anaesthesia. because I need to see my dentist soon for cavity. I’m taking antipsychotics now. Again thank you for sharing.
I meant general anaesthesia, not dental. You can still have a filling without anaesthesia if it's not deep though. But I never ask, I always use.

jajingna

jajingna

When he was "deactivated" it was a very strange situation.
I recall my mother like this on a few occasions. Just sort of frozen. It was spooky when we were just kids. To see your mother standing motionless for hours.

S

SuperPancake

yeah it's weird.. or even creepy.
He asked me to sleep with him bcz he was afraid. I was afraid too, sleeping with him. But he was not agressive. And i think he slept well. But i kept thinking. he's a beautiful guy. will he ever find someone to love him? He played some piano for me to thank me. I think that he trusts me but he doesnt trust his parents.Or maybe he thinks they cant understand. He is quite sure something evil is in the house and they refuse to realise it. When we were sleeping he wanted to sleep with the hood of his jumper on and i had to talk him out of it (i thought he wouldnt breathe because he wanted all of him to be hidden under the blanket.

S

Stormycat

I meant general anaesthesia, not dental. You can still have a filling without anaesthesia if it's not deep though. But I never ask, I always use.
Oh is there a difference between general and dental anesthesia? Idk, just never want to share I’m taking antipsychotic medicine-:(

S

SuperPancake

Oh is there a difference between general and dental anesthesia? Idk, just never want to share I’m taking antipsychotic medicine-:(

Dental anaesthesia is when a needle inserts the anaesthetic in a particular site of your mouth. It will numb one or more teeth and gums. Some anaesthetic techniques will numt your tongue and lips/cheeks. You will be perfectly awake.
-
General anesthesia: needs anesthesgiologist. u sleep. respiratory system must be supported.