• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

My Counsellor and I think I might be Bipolar. I’m too scared to get a diagnosis.

Boudicca

Boudicca

Hi guys!
My counsellor and I think that I may be Bipolar 2
I am scared to get a formal diagnosis because I’m dealing with a host of other mental health issues. I don’t know how I would handle the burden of another diagnosis. I do display symptoms of Bipolar 2 ... I know I have mania, maybe hypomania. I’m not sure what to do. Could anyone give me any advice? Thank you in advance.

Zero One

Zero One

I think you will be okay :hug: . I think it is good to get a formal diagnosis and proper care...they may find it related to something else although I doubt it...we usually have a way of knowing what is wrong with us. I have Bipolar I, Schizoaffective Disorder, and PTSD.

Boudicca

Boudicca

Thank you. I think I wil try and get a diagnosis!!
Im sorry to hear that you are suffering too. I have PTSD from a few things that have happened to me in my life!!! Hugs from me to you. :hug: It’s true we do know what is wrong with us. I do have a suspicion that I have Bipolar 2.

Zero One

Zero One

I had a suspicion that I was bipolar years ago but was afraid to go to a psychiatrist. I always wonder if I would have gotten treated then if it would have developed into schizoaffective and PTSD.

Zero One

Zero One

I want to write more but I have to go. Sorry to hear of your trauma :hug:

D

Dice

Hi guys!
My counsellor and I think that I may be Bipolar 2
I do display symptoms of Bipolar 2 ... I know I have mania, maybe hypomania. I’m not sure what to do. Could anyone give me any advice? Thank you in advance.
Hi. Well, first of all Mania and/or hypomania come with Bipolar 1, and hypomania comes with Bipolar 2 (I'm just focusing on the up side for now, btw). So, you sound a little confused about what Bipolar is at this time going by what you've said here. Are you clear on the difference between mania and hypomania?

Boudicca

Boudicca

Hi. Well, first of all Mania and/or hypomania come with Bipolar 1, and hypomania comes with Bipolar 2 (I'm just focusing on the up side for now, btw). So, you sound a little confused about what Bipolar is at this time going by what you've said here. Are you clear on the difference between mania and hypomania?
I read that hypomania can be seen more in Bipolar 2 sufferers although I could have read it wrong. I need to do more research. I’m extremely exhausted right now but I’ll go back and research some more when I can concentrate. I do know the difference but only read about the difference a while ago. I’ll have to refresh my memory. I’ll need to know what I’m talking about. If I’m going to know about Bipolar one and two. My mother had Bipolar. I’m thinking there might be a genetic link.

Boudicca

Boudicca

I guess what I was trying to say in my original post is that I have a type of mania, and maybe that mania is hypomania. Sorry for any confusion. I’m all over the place right now.

D

Dice

That's okay, don't beat yourself up. Mania is the extreme end of up, hypomania ('hypo', meaning under) is below that in severity. They can be great or destructive, it doesn't necessarily mean you are mega happy; that's probably one of the great misconceptions about it (see one of my posts about me being massively irritable with it for proof of that!).

A loose description of the two would look something like this:

Bipolar 1: Mania present at least once, hypomania can occur, depressions typical but not always present or needed for a diagnosis.

Bipolar 2: No mania present. Hypomania present. Regular bouts of depression.

If someone with Bipolar 2 ends up having a manic episode they should then be rediagnosed as bipolar 1.

There's lots more to it and lots more variation on the theme but if someone was asked for a loose outline of the two it would look something like this. The professionals however, don't tend to separate the two anymore, they just lump them in as Bipolar Affective Disorder and treat accordingly with the individual specificities of each patient.

(And of course, the old name for Bipolar was "Manic Depression" I've heard people confuse this for something else as well.) :)

Boudicca

Boudicca

That's okay, don't beat yourself up. Mania is the extreme end of up, hypomania ('hypo', meaning under) is below that in severity. They can be great or destructive, it doesn't necessarily mean you are mega happy; that's probably one of the great misconceptions about it (see one of my posts about me being massively irritable with it for proof of that!).

A loose description of the two would look something like this:

Bipolar 1: Mania present at least once, hypomania can occur, depressions typical but not always present or needed for a diagnosis.

Bipolar 2: No mania present. Hypomania present. Regular bouts of depression.

If someone with Bipolar 2 ends up having a manic episode they should then be rediagnosed as bipolar 1.

There's lots more to it and lots more variation on the theme but if someone was asked for a loose outline of the two it would look something like this. The professionals however, don't tend to separate the two anymore, they just lump them in as Bipolar Affective Disorder and treat accordingly with the individual specificities of each patient.

(And of course, the old name for Bipolar was "Manic Depression" I've heard people confuse this for something else as well.) :)
I see! Thanks for this information. Yes the old term for Bipolar was manic depression.
It could be that I have a combination of Bipolar one and two, but I’m not going to diagnose myself. I just know that I’m displaying symptoms of Bipolar. I already had BPD and depression and anxiety. I’m just scared of having to deal with the social stigma of another diagnosis. I’m scared I wouldn’t be able to handle it. However I can’t leave it undiagnosed, that would do me a disservice. Thanks once again for the helpful info. It’s appreciated!:thx::nod2:

JessisMe

JessisMe

Maybe if you do have Bipolar and get it addressed it will help the others... :hug:

Boudicca

Boudicca

Maybe if you do have Bipolar and get it addressed it will help the others... :hug:
Yes myself and others. I need to find out why I feel like this! I can’t carry this around with me forever.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Yes myself and others. I need to find out why I feel like this! I can’t carry this around with me forever.
I mean maybe if you end up having bipolar and get treatment for it then it will also help improve the symptoms of your other diagnoses too. 😊