My cat is poorly

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

His scan is booked for Monday. He is reacting to the ulcer drugs he just keeps scratching and licking will speak to his vet in the morning.
He must be itchy it is a side effect.

Shadow-one

Shadow-one

Forum Safety Team
Hi Mayflower

Hope you got some reassurance from the vet and your cat is settling down a bit more.... Poor little thing..:hug:

soulsearcher

soulsearcher

Hows the little one doing?

I pray he has a speedy recovery

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

He's not himself, he's hiding away. Will be glad when Monday arrives.
Really worried about him.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Is it the endoscopy on Monday Mayflower. I hope there going to sedate him. And I hope you get a good result . Will they let you know the same day. XX

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Is it the endoscopy on Monday Mayflower. I hope there going to sedate him. And I hope you get a good result . Will they let you know the same day. XX
Hi,
Yes it is the endoscopy Monday he's having a general anaesthetic as gives better results.
If they take biopsies it might be a week.
However I've already decided if any suspicious areas/lumps seen I might have them removed ASAP to give him the best chance of survival.
He's such a lovely boy.
Thanks

Shadow-one

Shadow-one

Forum Safety Team
Hi Mayflower

Sounds like you are doing everything possible to help your cat... And hopefully because you acted so soon once he began to feel unwell, you have given him the best possible chance of getting better.

Keep us posted on Monday about how everything goes.... And try not to worry if you can...

:hug:

Shingle

Shingle

Good luck on Monday. I know how agonising that wait is, and the wait for results, i know what bad results feel like and the whole horrible process but it is likely he is just not well and will get better. They all hide when they aren't feeling well. I would opt for surgery too if something can be taken out but hopefully it is nothing that bad.

These things are not in our hands, not in our power to influence so we just have to go with the flow and make decisions as they crop up. In the meantime, i am sure he is on good food and that is so important.

Lots of love and cuddles and rest for you both and have a lovely weekend. I hope it is sunny where you are. Mine is not 100% but we are at the vet's again soon. Mine is not even 4 months yet but they always seem to be poorly with something don't they. One of my cats had blood poisoning once and spent the weekend sort of fitting slightly. She recovered and lived a further 10 years from there, got to 17 years old.

I think they do it on purpose to get extra food and attention!

Shingle

Shingle

I was just googling my kitten's pale gums and nasal discharge, which is very mild, and came across this which mentioned gastric ulcers. Vomit containing blood. So it is possibly that as your vet already said, maybe nothing to worry about. I thought it was quite positive as it must be common.

Look for symptoms of an underlying condition causing the anemia. It is also likely that the cat has an underlying health issue which is causing the anemia. You are more likely to spot signs of this causative disease, than the anemia. Some of the most common diseases which can cause anemia are:
  • Kidney Disease: Increased thirst, wetting more often, vomiting, poor appetite.
  • Cancer, especially of the bowel: Vomiting, diarrhea, blood in the feces, weight loss, poor appetite, increased thirst, low energy levels
  • Gastric Ulcers: Recent history of NSAID medication (such as metacam), vomiting, vomit sometimes containing blood
  • External parasites: Presence of lice or fleas in the fur, itchiness. If the cat is otherwise well, killing the parasites removes the cause of the anemia. Provided the bone marrow is functioning and pushing out replacement red blood cells, within 2-3 weeks the cat should be feeling much stronger. Unless the cat was dangerously anemic, in which case he would be weak, listless, and poorly, a vet is unlikely to give a blood transfusion if the initial problem is identified and addressed.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

An update
He had his endoscopy and ultrasound scan they found inflammation and thickening consistent with IBD. One lymph gland was also inflamed.
They took biopsies awaiting on the results.
Cancer doesn't seem likely
He is starting on hypoallergenic food soon hopefully that will help
He's so glad to be home purring and loving everyone
He's eaten well
Thanks everyone

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
My_Second_Chance People 4
J People 3