My cat is dying

E

english rose

My 15 years & 11 months old cat who I've had since a kitten has got severe kidney failure, she has got only a matter of days left - if that. The situation is being worsened by the fact that it is Easter (vets opening times limited), I'm skint due to my benefits having been stopped & therefore I'm relying on the PDSA as opposed to a private vets, & I can't drive so am reliant on public transport.:cry2:

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
it's a long queue at the PDSA, taken my friends cat there, a lot of people who can't afford vets fees using it, if you have social anxiety very hard

katya

katya

Aw I'm so sorry you're going through this. I've got a cat who's about that age and her personality has changed a bit recently - she's more cuddly - and she's gone deaf, so I think she's nearing the end now. I'll be gutted when she dies.

Hope you can find the right support at the PDSA. Big hugs.

catkin

catkin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'm really sorry your cat is suffering. I would still ring vets today despite it being weekend, and these things always happen at weekends. My last cat had kidney failure too, it was dreadful to watch. I took her to emergency vet at a weekend, I'm with PDSA vet care scheme too), he gave her pain relief, anti sickness and fluids to make her more comfortable for the rest of the weekend, then sadly put her to sleep on the next working day. I would tell vet you are struggling for money, they may let you pay the emergency fee in stages. It's a long time til Tuesday to be in pain-for both of you xx

E

english rose

I was made aware that the PDSA's local branch is open Saturday mornings, so I took her there, she was put to sleep, I can't stop crying.

D

Disenchanted

I was made aware that the PDSA's local branch is open Saturday mornings, so I took her there, she was put to sleep, I can't stop crying.
So sorry. I've been there twice, and currently have 4 cats so will be there again in the (very distant, hopefully) future. It's an awful feeling to lose someone who is basically a member of the family. Being depressed makes it even worse.

I know this probably doesn't help now, but perhaps in the future you can get a stray/rescue cat. You can never replace the one you've lost, but you clearly have a lot of love and care to give a cat - he/she would be lucky to have you as an owner/Mum. Maybe something to think about in a few months or so. For now, try and think of all the good memories and be proud you took such good care of her. May she rest in peace.

katya

katya

Awww I'm so, so sorry. Remember, she had an amazing life with you, and you did the right thing. Big, big, big hugs. :hug1:

E

english rose

Today I need to clear up after Kim (empty the litter from her tray, wash & put away her food bowl, that sort of thing), of course this is extra difficult for someone like me who has very low energy levels anyway to start with; she was 'sick' on the carpet & I need to clean that, always bearing in mind that this flat is rented & I am grateful to the landlord for allowing me to have pets (it is not really sick, she was going through the motions of being sick, but only spit type stuff was coming up/out as she'd not been eating).

catkin

catkin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I am sorry you have lost your cat, your friend. It is horribly painful, but you definitely did the the right thing, she won't have to suffer any more, you loved her enough to let her go. Be kind to yourself xx

Mayfair

Mayfair

Admin
Sorry to read of your loss rose :(

As someone said earlier, and it might make you cry now, but you should think of all the joy you brought each other over the years. They'll become tears of happiness in time.

If you can face it, you could post a picture if you want, so we can all see your lovely cat.

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

I'm soo sorry about your cat. I very recently lost a friend (a dog). I know this will cause you pain but also try to remember the good times you had with your cat. It's better to have known her and spent many years with her, rather then not have her in your life at all.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Depression Forum 5
S Depression Forum 15
RueBea85 Depression Forum 1
J Depression Forum 1
J Depression Forum 1