• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

My career and why I may need to pack it in.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

What do you do as a software engineer? I used to be one, 20 years ago, I am just playing with “code” seldomly now.
In my current role, I support the Trust Integration engine. This is a messaging network which allows clinical data transfer between departments and systems in the hospital and local community.

I work on administration, support and development. Cache programming, SQL databases, and supporting the intersystems integration engine.

It is a varied role and enjoyable as much it is tiresome.

Avolitionist

Avolitionist

Peer counselors change lives. (I think peer support is what we call peer counselors in my area.) When I was in the depths of psychosis and just starting to get help, it was all so overwhelming. They sort of just stamp you as "mad" and "useless" and sign you up for the dole.

That is the path they put me on as I was completely unable to get my head around what was happening to me and take care of my self. Then I met a peer counselor who was also schizophrenic.

He changed my whole outlook on my condition just by being there. He told me about his life and how he had been where I was. It amazed me. I was like, "Hold up. This guy is like me, but he has a job and everything. No reason I can't do the same." So I started actively participating in my own mental health. This counselor made me realize I was NOT a lost cause. I could still have a productive life.

I think you would make a great peer support worker. Your journal and podcasts help people get their minds around what can actually be accomplished with this diagnosis. You are already doing peer support. If you approach it with the determination you had finding work in your current field, there is no doubt you will eventually get hired.

Good luck!

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Thank you @Avolitonist That is a really helpful insight. I really do enjoy the company of mental health sufferers. They are cooler and more thoughtful than normal people.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I was looking at Post Grad courses in Mental Health. I do not think I will proceed down this route since:

1. The official academic line of mental health is woefully lacking compared to lived experience.
2. Rather spend the money on a second-hand car.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I got rejected for the peer support role. I am going to give computing one more try. Applied for a nice looking role today. Perhaps will monitor the peer support roles, and if there is an interesting/ local one - will throw my hat in the ring.

Zero One

Zero One

I have a personal bias on this one because I quit a really good career due to psychosis and mood disorder (which I didn't know was that at the time) and it was difficult for me to recover financially. However I had to quit, it was too much and they already hired a replacement by the next day so they couldn't take me back. I wish I would have known other methods to help me get past the psychosis. You are already under care but I just worry about many things when these types of decisions are being made. Just be sure to keep your brain active, be happy, and be well financially. Then I am happy too 😊 fwiw lol

And you accomplished a lot...congrats to you!

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

It is better at my current job at the minute. We have moved to modern air conditioned offices. I only see boss once a fortnight. My commute is an hour shorter per day. For now it is fine.

I do have plans to move up north and with that will come an inevitable new occupation.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Yes computing offers more money, but the job needs to be interesting. Working from home with travel is good, or working on a decent campus and a chilled out vibe. Anything else and I don't want it.

Avolitionist

Avolitionist

I wanted to be a Peer Counselor too. I made it to the second interview, but I didn't get the position because I lacked familiarity with the social and financial support systems to assist people in my area.

It is fortunate that you have a job in these uncertain times, and I am sorry it isn't interesting for you. Maybe there is something outside of work that could inspire some interest to compensate? Hobbies and such.

I got laid off because of the pandemic, and I miss working a lot. Just getting out of the house everyday and seeing other people would be nice. :)

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
burt it seems to me it's the same nhs whose scuppering your chances of work, the same nhs whose mental health staff say we can work, push the recovery model etc

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

burt it seems to me it's the same nhs whose scuppering your chances of work, the same nhs whose mental health staff say we can work, push the recovery model etc
TBH I think the NHS has had it's day. Private companies prey on the NHS sucking all the money out.

BTW when shall we schedule our interview, and also you will need to pay me £10 for the showtime.

P

PastelKittenX

Born in Portugal, living in the UK (Norfolk)
This is why I worry about getting a job- not being able to function with not enough sleep due to meds and hearing voices/experiencing delusions whilst working, which I'm not the best at coping with it. :(
I want a job and see a bright future as a peer support worker. :)

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

TBH I think the NHS has had it's day. Private companies prey on the NHS sucking all the money out.

BTW when shall we schedule our interview, and also you will need to pay me £10 for the showtime.
apparently it saves money for them to pay private companies for staff rather than paying staff directly, idk how that works .........

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member

many years ago i was on bbc 2 was exploited. i remember saying i'd like to be either completely fit for work or completely disabled they cut that bit out, the social worker interviewed with me said that was the most important thing i'd said, didn't suit the message they were pushing i guess

the other schitzo with me didn't like it we were shown after a clip of a long term patient having a jab at the depot clinic