• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

My career and why I may need to pack it in.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I am a software engineer. Sadly I feel I have never reached my true potential.

Unfortunately due to the demands of the job I do not see how I can continue this career.

The meds make mornings very difficult due to drowsiness.

I come home and am greeted by the voices.

I feel I am discriminated against in terms of finding new jobs due to the severity of the diagnosis and the career gap on my CV.

I have a plan for my future, but perhaps sadly I will have to quit computing.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Sorry to hear Burt, good luck for your future.

B

bpd2020

I think you are really brave to have gone back to work. I really admire that. It is hard to hold down a job with the side effects of medication. I am sorry you have to quite computing but I hope you can find something else you enjoy.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I think you are really brave to have gone back to work. I really admire that. It is hard to hold down a job with the side effects of medication. I am sorry you have to quite computing but I hope you can find something else you enjoy.
Thank you. I feel I made a good comeback - i proved I could do it. I wish to do something more meaningful now, perhaps a job in social care.

Also I wish to keep doing my creative projects such as hiking, cycling video and photography and podcast.

B

bpd2020

It is lovely you have different interests and can enjoy them. You wanting to do a meaningful job is so caring. I think you would make a wonderful social worker as you are very understanding.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

It is lovely you have different interests and can enjoy them. You wanting to do a meaningful job is so caring. I think you would make a wonderful social worker as you are very understanding.
I am leaning towards a peer support worker to help young people with mental health issues.

xFerretx

xFerretx

Yes this is really impressive and you should be really proud of yourself. My university has offered me to come back in September but I’m not sure I’m ready, so if you have any advice I’d appreciate it.

It’s very noble of you of thinking of changing careers into social care.

Exercise like cycling really helps I think and can clear your head. It may seem contradictory, but exhausting yourself can be relaxing! I think making your brain only able to focus on the exercise at hand and how tired you are works really well.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Yes this is really impressive and you should be really proud of yourself. My university has offered me to come back in September but I’m not sure I’m ready, so if you have any advice I’d appreciate it.

It’s very noble of you of thinking of changing careers into social care.

Exercise like cycling really helps I think and can clear your head. It may seem contradictory, but exhausting yourself can be relaxing! I think making your brain only able to focus on the exercise at hand and how tired you are works really well.
When I started my job back in 2018 - I was not ready. I don't think you will ever be 'job ready' or 'university ready' after a mental health crisis.

But, you will surprise yourself if you are determined enough to succeed. You will always be stronger than you think.

Topcat

Topcat

Sorry it hasn't worked out how you would have liked Burt, I think it sounds like you're moving in a positive direction though. I hope the changes you make make you happier than you expect! :hug:

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Sorry it hasn't worked out how you would have liked Burt, I think it sounds like you're moving in a positive direction though. I hope the changes you make make you happier than you expect! :hug:
Thanks TC.
I have just applied for a Peer Support Worker job in London. Will see what happens.

L

linus

What do you do as a software engineer? I used to be one, 20 years ago, I am just playing with “code” seldomly now.

L

Lab rat

I guess you’ve decided against a job change but not a career change, I don’t feel that there’s anything I could do other than engineering (I’m certainly not qualified for anything else)

I find what you said about holding down a job while dealing with the side effects of medication to be only too true. I lost count of the jobs I’ve had that I’ve lost because of mh medication

what else could I possibly do? Well, I’ve got a Hgv 1 licence. But let me loose with an artic and I’d probably kill someone cos of the drowsiness! And when my license runs out in November, I’m not renewing it anyway.

I could perhaps return to working the doors, standing out in the cold all night on my feet? That was full of sarcasm, the fibro put an end to that years ago.

my quest continues... I wish you all the luck in the world with yours!