• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

My brothers keeper

A

anne marie

I hope someone can help me I guess we all need some help here. I have a brother who is 43 years old 3 years ago Christmas Day he told our family and his that he was going to divorce his wife and mother of his two children. He has been falling ever since. Because he was afraid of all of us and he kept firing all of his lawyers he was taken in his divorce and he ended up destitute. He sold all he owned for much less than it was worth and was living in is truck. Due to many circumstances I now support my brother, I have made sure he has a roof over his head and food on his table, he does not live with me but I have bought him a home. My problem at this time is that he does not believe that he has a problem, he won't see a doctor. Today for the first time I refused to give him money for cigaretts, it is 11pm here and I can not sleep because I feel so guilty. I am not sure if I am enabling his behavoir, he is not social and lives alone he has very little contact with his children and today I saw that he trashed his microwave, tv and cell phone he says he does'nt have a problem. Am I the one with the problem?

Sophie

Sophie

Hi anne marie and :welcome:
I am so sorry to hear of your brother. It must be very hard on you. Don't feel guilty, you have done all you can for your brother. It seems like your brother is in denial, until he accepts he has a problem, they is nothing anybody can do. I really hope that he seeks some type of help.

keepsafe

keepsafe

Hello Anne Marie

Hope you can find some support here - not sure that until your brother admits he has a problem that you or anyone else can do anything about it - unless he is so bad that he is a danger to himself and others.

Welcome
KS

D

Dollit

Have you ever asked your brother why he decided to get divorced or why he chooses to live the way he does? And welcome by the way!

A

anne marie

Thank-you for your support no I have never asked him about his divorce he is very diffficult to talk to so I have been almost ignoring the problem. I pretend it's not there until yesterday. I guess I am making a mistake.

M

Marquis

it is hard asking for help because you feel you can deal with the problem youself and don't need anybodys help no matter how bad it is, I hope everything goes well for you and your family