• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

My brother-is he getting better?

• Thread starter Substantial_world766
  • Start date
S

Substantial_world766

My brother had what it seems like a psychotic break a couple of months ago after smoking marijuana 2-3 times a week for about six months before the psychotic break. The symptoms included hearing voices and persecutory delusions (positive symptoms) for about first four months followed by considerably less talking, expressionlessness, lack of motivation, sad expression, laughing for no reason sometimes (primarily negative) for the following 3.5 months up till now. He does not report hearing voices or prescetuary delusions no more. I think he still has some random thoughts coming to his mind but seems hesitant to call them voices and does not answer properly when asked about them.

Our maternal uncle was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder. Our conditions at the moment do not allow us to get professional help.

He seems to be improving considerably as now he is talking about 40% more than he was before and maybe just depressed thinking about what happened a couple of months ago. He takes care of his hygiene and takes food regularly. He still stays in the bed for most time alone but seems kind of logical as he has nothing else to do.

I am trying to plan out what should we do? Going by what’s above, does this seem like a marijuana induced phychosis which will get better on its own? I think he had a psychotic break earlier as well after smoking marijuana from which he recovered himself. We did not know back then that Marijuana could cause it but now I understand what’s happening and he has completely stopped smoking up from past 10 months after the psychotic break. Getting help for him is possible but would turn our worlds upside down as it would mean moving back to out home country and leaving our life in the US.

M

MoonShade

That's a tough situation to be in and it seems like the smoking is what is triggering the psychosis. Is it possible for him not to smoke at all? To let his mind heal? Can you at least talk to a family doctor, or is that not an option either? I am sorry you're in this situation. It sounds very stressful for you and your family.

S

Substantial_world766

He has stopped smoking after the psychotic break ten months ago. He still has negative symptoms though which seem to be getting better

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

It's good he seems to be getting better, can he not see a dr where you are now.
Ongoing assessment and support from a dr/team may be needed.
I guess if you can't get a dr where you are, you'll have to see how he goes.

L

Lab rat

Drugs triggered the psychosis in me. I wonder sometimes, if I never touched them, would my life be different?