• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

My brother harmed himself yesterday.

A

ActivelyHappy

My brother has been depressed for quite a while and always asking another member of my family as to what they will feel like if he dies. We always shrugged it off, hoping he would stop thinking that way after a while but it still continued.
Then yesterday he locked himself in the bathroom and harmed himself. We had to break the door to get him out, and he was just sitting there crying.
From what I heard, his girlfriend has been refusing to meet with him for some reason and he has been saying things to her that if he is not gonna meet her, he will kill himself but to be honest, I don't really believe that is the case. There have been a lot of fights going on in my family because of the financial stress created due to Covid-19.
Can anybody please help me help him? I don't know what am I gonna do if I lose him.
I can't help but blame myself for this because we always fought and I didn't respect him and I feel like so does everyone else.

bpd2020

bpd2020

Hello and welcome to the forum. I am so sorry to read of your brothers pain. I think he needs to know he is loved and wanted. He needs to have his feelings acknowledged and taken seriously.

A

ActivelyHappy

Thanks for replying.

Can you please tell me how can I approach him in this situation? He never shares anything with me and I cannot figure out why he did what he did? The first thing our parents did when they got him out was they said to me "You should be more polite to your brother". I don't know what I can do, he always helps me whenever or whatever he is going through, he has found a way to help me. but he never shares anything with me so, I cannot do anything to help him in return.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I am so sorry to read of your brothers pain. I think he needs to know he is loved and wanted. He needs to have his feelings acknowledged and taken seriously.

bpd2020

bpd2020

I do not know your brother but this is my guess. He asked if anybody would care if he died and it was not taken seriously. This would have made him think his life was not worth living. Is it possible for your brother to talk to a doctor? I think he is suffering with mental illness and may need treatment.

A

ActivelyHappy

Ok, I will try to get him to talk to a therapist.
I do not know your brother but this is my guess. He asked if anybody would care if he died and it was not taken seriously. This would have made him think his life was not worth living. Is it possible for your brother to talk to a doctor? I think he is suffering with mental illness and may need treatment.

TheSadnessWillLastForever

TheSadnessWillLastForever

Professional help is what he needs most, but he also needs support from friends and especially family. If he doesn't want to talk to you that's his choice but let him know he can talk to you about anything he wants to so he knows he has that option. Maybe even do some of your own research into self harm and depression so if he does decide to talk to you, you won't be clueless. Most importantly don't belittle his feeling and take him seriously, if you and your family ignore the warning signs again you could lose him for good, not trying to scare you, it's the truth.