my brain telling me I did something wrong

S

sophiek1995

Hi. First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong section, I'm new to this forum and wasn't sure whether to put it here or in the OCD section.

A bit of background information, I have been suffering with OCD which leads me to get intrusive thoughts about stuff I haven't done, or make things seem worse in my head than actually happened

I work in a clothing shop, in the fitting room department. On Friday, it was very busy there and when I was letting a woman through, my fingers brushed the top part of her legs for a few seconds. Since then, I felt so guilty as if I'd done something really wrong and disgusting. when she came out, I apologised and said 'sorry i think i accidentally hit you on the way in' and she said this was completely fine, and thank you for apologising. so I know in my head she didn't feel like I had done anything wrong. But I cant stop thinking about it, imagining I did something awful/disgusting

one thing I am considering doing is asking my manager to view the CCTV (we dont have CCTV in the actual fitting rooms, just by the entrance where this happened) I have thought of an excuse to tell my manager, and I feel that seeing the event again will help put my mind to rest. i have checked and the law says I have a right to view cctv of myself.

Please, does anyone have any other advice? I am so wracked with guilt and feel disgusted at myself, I know deep down this was a simple innocent accident that happens to many people in busy places right? but i guess this is part of OCD, being unable to control these thoughts and overthinking things.

thank you so much

D

dewey

We all have these anxiety mechanisms, or social awareness mechanisms, so we can function well in society right? Getting the anxiety is what stops us doing these sorts of things so we can function socially. So everyone should have some level of anxiety.
In this situation you could say your anxiety mechanism is broken in some sense, it has become out of control, kind of like the mechanism is being over-stimulated hence why you are obsessing over this even though the lady said it was cool.
You got to recognise this is what is happening. The inhibitions basically exist for a reason, but your inhibitions are in overdrive. Hope that helps

S

sophiek1995

We all have these anxiety mechanisms, or social awareness mechanisms, so we can function well in society right? Getting the anxiety is what stops us doing these sorts of things so we can function socially. So everyone should have some level of anxiety.
In this situation you could say your anxiety mechanism is broken in some sense, it has become out of control, kind of like the mechanism is being over-stimulated hence why you are obsessing over this even though the lady said it was cool.
You got to recognise this is what is happening. The inhibitions basically exist for a reason, but your inhibitions are in overdrive. Hope that helps
yes I understand :) I'm trying to take my mind off it but I just can't, I'm hoping that being able to view the CCTV will at least put my mind to rest.

V

Voices999

Hi. First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong section, I'm new to this forum and wasn't sure whether to put it here or in the OCD section.

A bit of background information, I have been suffering with OCD which leads me to get intrusive thoughts about stuff I haven't done, or make things seem worse in my head than actually happened

I work in a clothing shop, in the fitting room department. On Friday, it was very busy there and when I was letting a woman through, my fingers brushed the top part of her legs for a few seconds. Since then, I felt so guilty as if I'd done something really wrong and disgusting. when she came out, I apologised and said 'sorry i think i accidentally hit you on the way in' and she said this was completely fine, and thank you for apologising. so I know in my head she didn't feel like I had done anything wrong. But I cant stop thinking about it, imagining I did something awful/disgusting

one thing I am considering doing is asking my manager to view the CCTV (we dont have CCTV in the actual fitting rooms, just by the entrance where this happened) I have thought of an excuse to tell my manager, and I feel that seeing the event again will help put my mind to rest. i have checked and the law says I have a right to view cctv of myself.

Please, does anyone have any other advice? I am so wracked with guilt and feel disgusted at myself, I know deep down this was a simple innocent accident that happens to many people in busy places right? but i guess this is part of OCD, being unable to control these thoughts and overthinking things.

thank you so much
Just let it go man. Reviewing the camera will only make you look bad and possibly get fired. Mental health problems aren’t taken lightley in the work place

elliepaige20

elliepaige20

Hi there,

I definitely understand what you mean here; I've often replayed situations in my head that were pretty much harmless at the time but seemed like a big deal in my head. If it makes you feel any better, the woman has probably forgotten all about it by now and probably has a hundred other things to focus her attention on. And if she's gracefully accepted your apology, then you're okay! :) I think by looking over the CCTV footage, you'll probably over-analyse it which could easily make things worse. We all make mistakes at the end of the day; we do/say the wrong things sometimes or just have simple accidents. Please don't think of yourself as a bad person in this scenario; after all, it's not like anyone was hurt/uncomfortable! If someone accidentally did that to me I probably wouldn't think anything of it and I'd just go about the rest of my day. I hope this has reassured you in some way, best of luck to you xx :)