• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

My Bipolar...My ADHD...

BONE

BONE

I have bipolar 1 disorder along with ADHD/ADD. Question: Are there medications that treat ADHD/ADD EFFECTIVELY without any addictive properties?

I take Adderall 30 MG daily and it works great for about 2 hours or so before it leaves my system. The unfortuanate reality is that my body/mind gets uneasy and I feel a strong urge - a very urgent need - to take the drug after it has already left my system. Its like my body/mind demand that I take more of the drug in order to satisfy my fix. Thats the reason for my question: I need another ADHD/ADD med that works as well but with no addictive elements. Are there such meds??

My Google search did not answered my question. TY!

HLon99

HLon99

I also have ADHD and Bipolar co-morbid. I am currently being treated with Abilify and Lamictal for Bipolar and Vyvanse (called Elvanse here in the UK) for ADHD. If you are struggling with problems using Adderal, I strongly recommend that you switch to Vyvanse. Vyvanse is practically the same chemical, but in a long-release formulation (10-12hrs) , meaning the crashes are nowhere near as severe. Vyvanse can cause addiction, but less so than Adderall. When used in therapeutic doses it should be fine. However, there are some alternatives like Stratterra which aren't addictive, but for me personally it did not work.

Only thing you have to watch out for is the bipolar medicine dulling the effect of ADHD medication. I have found that that is the case with Abilify. After reading some studies, I have discovered that Seroquel works much better with ADHD medication which is what I am hoping to switch to.

BONE

BONE

Sadly, I have tried Vyvanse and the side effects, severe stomach cramps, caused my doctor to stop the prescription. I remember having high hopes for that drug prior to taking it since I had heard that it worked so well for so many. Oh well...

Thanks HLon99!

BONE

BONE

I wrote to my psychiatrist (e-mail), whom I will see this Thursday morning, in regards to this issue. I asked him if maybe we should replace Adderall with Strattera.

Is Strattera a better non-addictive alternative to Adderall? What do you think?

HLon99

HLon99

I wrote to my psychiatrist (e-mail), whom I will see this Thursday morning, in regards to this issue. I asked him if maybe we should replace Adderall with Strattera.

Is Strattera a better non-addictive alternative to Adderall? What do you think?
For me strattera wasn’t a better anything. I didn’t help my ADHD and it gave me a bunch of side effects. However, it does work for some people.

S

SFGuy

I have bipolar 1 disorder along with ADHD/ADD. Question: Are there medications that treat ADHD/ADD EFFECTIVELY without any addictive properties?
I take Dextroamphetamine (10 mg total per day, higher doses make me jumpy), which is nearly the same as Adderall, along with an old blood pressure drug called Guanfacine. Guanfacine isn't as powerful as amphetamines, but it takes the edge off ADHD rejection sensitivity.

I also tried Clonidine, a similar drug. It made me happy and calm, but I could barely get off the couch. I would try it again at a lower dose if I needed it.

Vyvanse fizzled by late afternoon when I tried it and it can be addictive, I think. It turns into Dextroamphetamine in your system.