• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

my bipolar girlfriend

C

chris1988

My gf has just been diagnosed with bipolar, looking back and having an understanding of the illness I can see she has had it the 6 months we have been together but I've known her for 7 years and can see that she has always had the illness, she isn't coping, she's told me she isn't coping and doesn't no how to but she wont allow me to help, she tells me she needs me in her life, wants me in her life and she knows she can get through this knowing I'm not going anywhere but I have this gut instinct she won't allow me to help her as she thinks I can't cope and if things get tough I will do a runner as that's what people do to her, leave her when things get tough, she was diagnosed 2 weeks ago and she has spoke to me twice, ignored me at all other times, things will be difficult I get that I really do but she is amazingly perfect just the way she is, you don't get bipolar overnight so I clearly fallen in love with her and she already had the illness, can anyone out here maybe help me understand abit more, these forums have really helped and I no now it's not me, I really do love her and would do anything for her but is that what she wants and is it actually enough

Parissa

Parissa

If she is depressed at the moment, that makes you not want to be near anyone. It is very hard to let people help you because depression makes you very centred on yourself. It is like other people don't even exist. You are in your own little world, stuck in a bubble which cannot be penetrated. You should give her space but let her know you are there if she needs you.

Love Parissa

U

utter madness

The only thing I can suggest is give her some space for her to get her head round the diagnosis it wi all be a big shock and a lot to tk in in I'm sure she.ll be bk in ur life and then she will need a lot of support just give her time

C

chris1988

If she is depressed at the moment, that makes you not want to be near anyone. It is very hard to let people help you because depression makes you very centred on yourself. It is like other people don't even exist. You are in your own little world, stuck in a bubble which cannot be penetrated. You should give her space but let her know you are there if she needs you.

Love Parissa
It gets to me as I no she is going out drinking with friends so I sometimes feel I'm the only person she doesn't want to see although I no I'm the only person who nos how to truly make her smile, I've seen her smile with her friends and when she's with me and I no which 1 is false

Parissa

Parissa

Maybe she doesn't want to be in a relationship with you anymore? Do you think this might be the case?

C

chris1988

I don't believe this to be the case, I genuinely believe she does want to be with me, she has had a rough past, bad experiences with exes and has told me she never felt she could feel about a guy the way she does me again, I guess overall it may just be me, I need to get my head around it all abit more, I no if it's not what she wants she would tell me as the 1 thing we are is always honest and she nos as long as she is honest with me about anything and things didn't work out I would still be here to support her for as long as she wants me to

C

chris1988

it was me being an overthinker, over worrying and i have let that go, she knows i love her just the way she is and wouldnt change her for the world, she took me to meet her mum dad and brother this week and also opened up and told me why sometimes she avoids me and its when she is feeling down im the oonly person she doesnt wanna hurt because she is most scared of me hating her and leaving her but i will make sure she knows every day that i love her and even more so on her bad days, thanks for the responses

M

Michtrent

The best thing you can do for her is to reassure her that your not going anywhere, hold her, love her with all your heart and really listen to her

K

Katss

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Am downright cynic but when people cry about the antics or that they love the bi-polar spouse it worries me? Why do you afford them such angst? they are first and foremost a person with or with out a MH condition why is the bi polar at the forefront of your typing?

If she had cancer or diabetes which could affect mentally also would you say so much she was meantally difficult? You need to decide if you can live and like and treat this person as an individual and a person the bi-polar is a total asides what are your problems?

Katss