• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

My attempt to Simplify Bipolar

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

Disclaimer, post contains opinions and theory.

People like Dr Peter Breggin who knows about what happened before the pharmacological revolution and Robert Whitaker are interesting individuals in the world of Psychiatry. I hope one day I can reach their status too because this topic is close to my heart and we need people who care enough to research these things. Especially for the children.

I come from an information technology background and I try to apply those concepts to Psychiatry and I have had some success in simplifying some of the mess. There are modelling languages in computing science such as the Unified Modelling Language and the object oriented thought process. There is another one called the entity relationship model. I used these languages to develop generalizations and apply them to Psychiatry to simplify the over-complication in it.

One such generalization that I think took me over a year of contemplation I call the Pain class abstraction. If you are into art you will know that abstract things whether it's in art or in other spheres of life make you think and provoke thought. They can be used to solve problems.

My pain abstraction states that every Disorder derives from one general disorder (pain). Why? because simply they are all a form of pain. Quite logical right? In this way I simplified all disorders. Now pain has attributes and behaviours and because all Psychiatric labels are a form of pain I was able to generalize, simplify and relate to them all. Check the picture below:

pain class.png

You can relate any Disorder in the DSM and it will fall under the above generalized Disorder. Let's use the above pain abstraction as a template and fill it with Bipolar Disorder. Let's consider my own case as of current.

Pain: Bipolar Disorder
Initiator: Myself

Initiation Method: Trauma

Responder: The people involved in responding are Psychiatrists, myself, family etc

Response Method: Very broad: mood hygiene, sleep hygiene, Sodium Valproate, diet, vitamin d, trigger prevention, stress management etc

Subject: Who was impacted by this form of pain? Myself

Manifestation Subject: Where does this pain manifest? It cannot be detected anywhere in the body so it goes under the category of Non-physical ailments. Therefore it manifests non-physically. I experience it, others don't. It also gives thought to the fact that because it can't be detected, it has made me realize that external entities contribute to my Bipolar such as societal stress.

Time period: How does this form of pain relate to the dimension of time? Is it intermittent? Is it a permanent illness? etc. Bipolar is known as the phantom disease because it's symptoms can be regular or unpredictable and even disappear for years at a time. By generalizing the time aspect of Psychiatric labels we can do more than what is being done now in Psychiatry such as classifying illnesses as permanent, acute etc. We can go deeper, explore and get better outcomes.

Communicate: The bottom attribute "communicate" is a behaviour of pain. So how does bipolar communicate? This basically comes down to the symptoms (mania, depression etc)

You can apply the abstraction to all disorders.

I hope that makes sense. Feedback appreciated.

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

I think I need to get back into body building and be away from computers

K

Kenza

I loved your thoughts, I'm bipolar and I'm so interested in the logic behind it besides chemicals.

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

The Pain Class Abstraction basically simplifies all Disorders into a general disorder. I was able to do this because many disorders share the same symptoms so I thought to myself why not make things more simple and connect what is common. By doing this I removed a lot of redundancy.

Anyway, I am working on something to apply the logic of my pain class abstraction and here is my first picture below. I think my theory was correct because I am indeed applying the simplified logic in a useful way.

simplifydisorders.png

As an assumed use case, the user would select “Response Method” and then select a symptom in the communicate drop down menu. When they click submit they would be provided with a list of all possible treatments even non-drug ones that are established in the scientific community.

Now many disorders share the same symptoms but because of my generalizing there is no need for listing multiple disorders with the same symptoms. As you can see instead I abstracted out the symptoms into a single “Communicate” attribute to remove the redundancy.

I hope this is of interest to anyone.

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

I am also working on something else. This project will be a data delivery service that processes Psychiatric labels through a filter and returns useful information on them depending on what data the user selects. It covers subjects such as misdiagnosis, the harmful effects of drugs, established non-drug health principles and data simplifications. Below are some early pictures:

In this example the user is checking the potential curability of Mania:

Attachments