• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

My anxiety/panic experience

L

laural98

Hi there,

I’m not quite sure how this works I am new to the forum but was intrigued to see if anyone else has experienced similar to me. A couple of weeks ago I experienced my first panic attack. I was taken to hospital due to the chest pains I was having, it honestly felt like I was going to collapse! After a long two week battle of trying to control the attacks myself And finding ways to distract myself I have now been started on anxiety medication. I have had a bad attack this evening my whole neck and limbs felt like they were burning/tingling. I noticed the medication seemed to have stopped my heart rate from racing as much and was able to control myself much quicker than I normally would. Has this happens to anyone else who has been taking medication? Thank you for listening :)

Q

Quietly Invisible

Hi Laural98, Even though I have suffered with anxiety my whole life, I have only had one full blown panic attack and I was not on medication at the time. It was horrible. I thought my teenaged daughter was in terrible danger. Once, I found out she was safe, it took me a while to get over the physical symptoms I experienced during the panic attack. Hang in there. I'm sure you will get better information about this from someone on this site. It helps to know you're not the only one. I wish you the best.

L

laural98

Many thanks for your reply Quietly invisible. Sorry to hear you experienced that before it is quite frightening. I have never suffered with anxiety or panic attacks before in my life and it has all
Happened quite suddenly. My family have been amazing in supporting me but I think it will help to talk to others who have the same experience. Many thanks again for your reply :)

EverybodyHurts

EverybodyHurts

Hi Laura. Sorry to hear about your panic attack. It can be quite scary when you experience it for the first time! I've had them most of my adult life, but only went on medication for about 5 years. Can I ask which medication you are on? I was on citalopram and experienced the tingling also when I had attacks - I'd never had that before being on them. But they did seem milder and lasted for a shorter amount of time.

L

laural98

Hi Everybody hurts, thanks for your reply. I have been started on 20mg citalopram and I have got to be honest it seemed to minimise the anxiousness/ overthinking quite quickly but I have been feeling quite spaced out and not myself e.g. poor appetite and very fatigued. Did you experience anything like this?

EverybodyHurts

EverybodyHurts

Yes, that sounds familiar. Like with any medication, it takes a while for the body to adjust when taking something new. I remember the fatigue, and feeling slight light-headed for a couple of weeks. I can't recall if I lost my appetite or not, but I did have an unsettled stomach for a while. I don't know when you started taking them, but the symptoms should pass in a week or so. If they don't, call your GP, as you may just need to be on the lower 10mg dose.

L

laural98

Good to know I am not the only one. I have only been taking them for 4 days so there’s scope for the symptoms to settle down yet. I have a review in two weeks with the GP see how I’m getting on. Im currently off work and would have been going back tomorrow after 3 weeks if I hadn’t talked to my GP Thursday. The thought of being back in work is scary considering how quickly my attack came on this evening. Do you have any advice for managing anxiety in the workplace?

EverybodyHurts

EverybodyHurts

Well for me, I found having a drink of water nearby helped. If I felt anxiety starting, sipping the water seemed to help. As did getting out for fresh air on breaks. Also, do you have anyone at work that you can confide in? It sometimes help to have a colleague/manager who you can give a heads up to when you're struggling. Someone to chat to if you're feeling a bit anxious, or even just willing to cover for you whilst you nip to the bathroom for 5 mins for a time out!

S

StillDepressed

Unfortunately I do have some experience in anxiety. Medication can take a few weeks to have the full effect and it can also take a week for side-effects and it is really positive that you have already seen a difference and as everybody said the side-effects do calm down. The Dr has purposefully done a review before you are due to go back so if your not ready you won't just be thrown back in and there are other medication options like treating the symptoms.

Dealing with Anxiety at work - Pay attention to and Control your breathing so it can't creep up on you. Give yourself extra little breaks (I find no one ever minds you going to the kitchen if you offer them a drink, gives you a few minutes whilst the kettle is boiling). Also focus on 1 task at a time, don't overwhelm yourself by piling a pressurised to-do list on yourself

L

laural98

That’s A good idea. Everyone at work knows what’s going on at the moment and have been so supportive so I know they would have no issue with covering me for 5 mins or so. I work on a busy unit in a hospital so don’t always have the time for that!

L

laural98

This is my problem I’m already thinking about how I’m doing to deal with my attacks in work when I have just got over my attack I’ve had this evening. I need to focus more on the here and now and it’s proving difficult when I’m in a constant state of panic.

EverybodyHurts

EverybodyHurts

That’s A good idea. Everyone at work knows what’s going on at the moment and have been so supportive so I know they would have no issue with covering me for 5 mins or so. I work on a busy unit in a hospital so don’t always have the time for that!
Oh my goodness - no wonder your anxiety is high, working in that environment. Especially in these times. Such a worthy but stressful job. On the other hand, you're probably in the best place in terms of there being support and understanding, so that's good.
The advice above about breathing was good - it sounds like a cliche, but taking slow deep breaths really does help.
I don't know where you are, but if in the UK, look up No Panic online. They offer some great advice for coping with anxiety and panic attacks.