My anxiety isn't the worst part, It's all the symptoms that come with it. Please Help!!

L

lexik97

Hello, I'm new on this forum!! I'm 21 years old and i've dealt with anxiety since i was about 5 years old and depression since i was 15. It stemmed from my child abuse/neglect. As a child my anxiety was generalized and as i got older it progressed into primary health anxiety. Since i've dealt with anxiety for so long i've become pretty good at developing coping techniques and i've been in therapy regularly since i was a young child. My issue is all of the chronic physical symptoms I have. They are driving me insane and make me incapable of functioning.

To sum it up, for almost 10 years now i've struggled with chronic IBS and debilitating nausea 24/7. Insomnia. Chronic tension headaches and muscle knots all over my neck and shoulders. Dizziness and vertigo. Brain zaps (these are terrifying.) Extreme fatigue, that gets so bad during my period that I can't even leave my bed. I mostly just lay around because of my depression and rarely leave my house to exercise, so now i get very short of breath trying to do basic things like clean my apartment. I've gotten many blood tests (all normal except for low vitamin D.) I checked my thyroid, also completely normal. I also did many EKG's and those were fine too. The only thing my doctors have said is that I'm slightly underweight, which i agree with. I don't have much of an appetite so i can't eat much.

Its kinda funny cause i rarely even notice i'm having anxiety and i rarely get the "typical" panic attack symptoms, just this horrible chronic sickly feeling. I don't know where to go from here. I want to get out more, i want to exercise more, I have so many goals but whenever i try to get the f*** out of bed, i can't do it for more than 15 minutes without feeling like complete crap. I'm so young and i'm wasting my life away laying in bed 24/7. I've also never taken any medication for my anxiety, mostly because i'm scared they will add even more physical side effects to what i already have.

Is this from so much chronic stress that my body is just on overdrive or maybe from my childhood trauma? Does anybody else deal with this or have any advice? Thank you!!

OCDguy

OCDguy

Have you tried a relaxing massage. Some say they can be a excellent way to de-stress....

G

gam9147

With IBS and nausea I'm guessing you might not get the nutrition you need. Vitamin D deficiency can cause (or exasperate) anxiety.

You can fix some of this by working on nutrition. I understand first hand if you aren't eating well because of your symtpoms, but you can supplement with vitamins for starters, and protein drinks or other things you may be able to keep down better. If you are able to start there you can work slowly towards some progress.

If you aren't already though you may want to consider some medication for anxiety so you can get yourself to the point where you can eat, move around etc. Those are the first steps to treating/dealing with the anxiety. Also cognitive behavioral or dialetic therapy are good directions to start.

Though realize from your title you maybe thinking about this. You said you don't even care about the anxiety, its the symptoms. Well that's kind of like saying I don't mind having a broken leg, its all the pain and immobility that it causes. Well of course -- the anxiety is causing the symptoms and you want the symptoms to go away. But that does mean you need to tackle the anxiety.

I know things seem very frustrating right now, but try to take small steps for your health, medication, vitamins and therapy will start you on the right path to getting better. You can do it!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Anxiety Forum 2
K Anxiety Forum 5
J Anxiety Forum 2
I Anxiety Forum 3
Lucarin Anxiety Forum 3