• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Watch this short film to find out how to use the new forum!

My anxiety is really bad this morning

R

rich

I got yesterday evening and felt so great that day. Had trouble sleeping last night. Didn't sleep the whole night. I felt like "ok fine but I got sleep yesterday so I wont feel that bad"....but this morning I drank some tension tea left over from last night. And now I have this terrible pain in my chest. The pain was mild while laying down......is this anxiety???? wow

N

NorasDad

Yes, dude, this is anxiety.
Have you had it bad enough to cause tension in your chest before?

R

rich

My chest is killing me today. Im so scared. I don't get it though because I got some sleep yesterday. At night I couldn't sleep at all because of the fear of the night. But today I have this thick headache and chest feels tight...…I never been through something like this. All of this over one bad night of sleep. Well I do believe I went threw something like this before years ago with insomnia. Wow just two weeks ago I was sleeping like a baby. I just came from the doctors and he wants me to take the xnex pills for now. Im scared of these pills.

I have a physical job that has been telling me to stay home. They want me to rest. But I think its best to go in. Im going in tonight to see if it helps me.

I cant believe its got this bad

thanks for the comment

2Sheepies

My chest is killing me today. Im so scared. I don't get it though because I got some sleep yesterday. At night I couldn't sleep at all because of the fear of the night. But today I have this thick headache and chest feels tight...…I never been through something like this. All of this over one bad night of sleep. Well I do believe I went threw something like this before years ago with insomnia. Wow just two weeks ago I was sleeping like a baby. I just came from the doctors and he wants me to take the xnex pills for now. Im scared of these pills.

I have a physical job that has been telling me to stay home. They want me to rest. But I think its best to go in. Im going in tonight to see if it helps me.

I cant believe its got this bad

thanks for the comment
Don’t be scared of taking a little Xanax when your chest hurts like that. It’s very uncomfortable and when I get it I take 1/4 of a .5 mg of Klonopin which is in the same family as Xanax. It just takes the edge off and helps you to cope. I am not a pill taker at all, but when my chest hurts it’s hard to relax it on my own.

N

NorasDad

OP, if you went to the emergency room, they would take your vitals, take your story, MAYBE take an EKG (which wouldn't hurt anybody but seems unnecessary) and then give you some Xanax or Ativan.

My strong suggestion is to concur with my colleague from Florida but suggest that you "bring enough gun" to this hunt.

By that I mean take enough Xanax to be sure that you are taking anxiety out of the equation and then see how your chest feels.

I will bet that you will feel that tightness go away like magic.

Let us know.

[ BTW, you could take a whole bottle of Xanax and they wouldn't even pump your stomach. I know because I have. Drugs like Xanax are rarely prescribed in amounts large enough to hurt the patient even if they were to take the whole bottle. So don't worry. It can't hurt you.]

N

NorasDad

To be clear, I do not advocate taking whole bottles of Xanax or anything else.

R

rich

Thanks so much for reaching out to me. I actually got home from work, which is pretty physical. And I feel better as far as the pains go (thank god). They say working out helps and I think it does. Now I have to deal with the no sleep issue im having. The anxiety came from me not able to sleep...I know this for sure. Its here now.

question do you guys? do you get sleep? Im having just dreams while still awake. Its like I forgot how to sleep lol. Its a test to sleep. I fear it now. I think about it all the time. Yesterday I got a lil sleep. But now I feel like it was just luck lol. Its so hard to be positive

Thanks so much for responding.

R

rich

Another thing. Do any of you have this stomach stress or tightness (hard to explain)?? Like you don't want to eat?

M

megirl

With me, well not so much now. In the past if I didn't get enough sleep even one night throws me. Its like a knot in my stomach and that tightness. I would trt to eat but it would feel like its too much.
Do you take anything to help you sleep.
Sometimes some down time before bed helps me. Like no TV turn the internet off maybe listen to some music can calm the mind.
I am the last person to admit this but a milky milo before bed can help

R

rich

no so far I don't take anything for sleep. Also something new just happened. I think the anxiety was lessened because I finally got back to work and did a lot of physical work. So all those pains seem gone. When I got home I was so tired. I got in bed and the experience was filled with racing thoughts. But I felt comfortable enough to stay in bed for at least 5 hours it seems. I felt like my body got some type of rest.

But this time when I got up (not sure if I was truly sleep). I had these cold chills and shacking. Wow im like what on earth is this now. It felt like I was freezing. Is that a form of anxiety??? Freezing & shacking??

Thanks so much again

M

megirl

I am pleased that that pain has gone. Thats a relief!
Glad you had a good rest though its not quite sleep and racing thoughts aren't the best.
When I havnt slept my body temperature goes haywire and I can be freezing cold all day and not warm up.
And the shakes yeh anxiety you say you had a rest but a rest with racing thoughts well, your brain hasnt been resting at all.
So you may have got up and all that anxiety that's been there the whole time has shown its nasty head.
When I was experiencing high levels of anxiety being flat out at work it was great the busier the better as soon as I stopped wham the anxiety hit. Sleepiness nights and racing thoughts grrr...
The best thing is to get on top of your sleep well for me it was my sleep or/well lack of it

Hopeful313

Hopeful313

Try to listen to ebook or a story while laying down in bed with low volume. It works as a distraction so you don’t focus on your fear.
You are having health anxiety(worrying about something is wrong with your health).

To get a relief just go to the doctor to get checked and also get an EKG to put your mind at rest.

M

megirl

It may be a really good idea to visit your GP. Have a chat to them about your symptoms in regards to your anxiety and sleep issues. Always a good idea to have a check-up every so often. Its always a good idea if you experience pain that you have never had before to get some medical attention. Especially chest pain if its something you havnt had before then you need to ring for an ambulance no mucking about

2Sheepies

Yes, at times I will shake. It’s all part of the anxiety. Go see your Dr, get a therapist that specializes in anxiety and panic and this will start your journey to healing. All will be well in it’s time.

R

rich

thanks everyone for the advice. Yes the anxiety is very much still in me. As im writing this im feeling those feelings lol. Im thinking that the first thing I should be doing is to try to get rid of the anxiety. I know that this is what's destroying my lazy boy sleeping. God just a few days ago I was being blamed for sleeping to much.....seems like now I forgot how to sleep. Forgot how to love my bed. Forgot as if god came in took away my sleep power lol.

Again I had a insomnia a few years back. And it was terrifying. Back then I had no job, and was in a bad place. So I understood kinda why that happened to. I wish I remembered how it started back then. These Jolts I had two weeks ago immediately made me remember those fears from back then. Jolts made my mind feel like "oh man where did that come from"...…

but to be truthful Ive had terrible sleep patterns. Loved staying up late and sleeping sometime in the morning. It never bothered me though. I remember while laying in bed I ate like a pig. The day this happened I ate while in the bed while looking at a movie. I over ate as well. Jolted up out of my sleep and here we are.

I heard its bad to just lay in the bed. Is that true?

thanks everyone so much for speakin with me....

2Sheepies

thanks everyone for the advice. Yes the anxiety is very much still in me. As im writing this im feeling those feelings lol. Im thinking that the first thing I should be doing is to try to get rid of the anxiety. I know that this is what's destroying my lazy boy sleeping. God just a few days ago I was being blamed for sleeping to much.....seems like now I forgot how to sleep. Forgot how to love my bed. Forgot as if god came in took away my sleep power lol.

Again I had a insomnia a few years back. And it was terrifying. Back then I had no job, and was in a bad place. So I understood kinda why that happened to. I wish I remembered how it started back then. These Jolts I had two weeks ago immediately made me remember those fears from back then. Jolts made my mind feel like "oh man where did that come from"...…

but to be truthful Ive had terrible sleep patterns. Loved staying up late and sleeping sometime in the morning. It never bothered me though. I remember while laying in bed I ate like a pig. The day this happened I ate while in the bed while looking at a movie. I over ate as well. Jolted up out of my sleep and here we are.

Support from understanding people is so important for healing. I wish your soul peace.

N

NorasDad

Rich, I hate to say this but I am pretty sure you're having panic attacks. Not all panic attacks totally "break through" and cause total confusion.

Instead, for me, they started with exactly the symptoms you're describing. Also now that I've had the full-blown "a lion is chasing me down the street but there's no lion there" kind of panic attacks for a while, I can actually control those, but I go through all the symptoms you're describing on the way down.

The reason I'm risking jumping to a conclusion is that I realize I should have gotten more treatment sooner. Your active lifestyle has probably been protecting you for years. It's like taking an SSRI. But eventually you get a little too tired.

Go to your doctor. Don't be afraid to exaggerate a little. Make sure the doc understands you need the panic attacks to STOP. You need to feel that you have regained control. Until I had a doctor who didn't mess around with gradualist BS and just assured me that I could trust her and she would fix it, THEN we would talk about easing back on the medication (which I did, of course) I couldn't get a handle on the situation.

Also, start immediately with the techniques on this website:

Getselfhelp.co.uk CBT self help and therapy resources

STOPP techniques and the others will really help tremendously but there's a little learning curve, so start right away.

You're very wise to reach out right away. Take this seriously and you'll get control, but I fear I'm right in saying it won't go away on its own. There's nothing about living with this fear and exhaustion that is going to make you a better person. It will just wear you out.

And BE CAREFUL AT WORK AND ON THE ROAD.

You're smart and you'll win. No worries.

M

megirl

And as already mentioned its better to get help now rather than later. I won't be the first, I fought and fought not admitting I needed help til I got desperate. But really what you are experiencing is very unpleasant. So better to get the help now. Then you can get back on track sooner

R

rich

Ok again god bless you all for reaching out to me. I was able to make it to work on Thursday & Friday. Both nights I came home pretty tired. I jumped in the bed. And on both nights I slept (I hope) only for 4 hours. And both days I couldn't go back to sleep. I think those 4 hours gave me enough strength to barely make it to work and do my job. I got a little rest/nap laydown that also help a bit to make it to work. While on the highway a guy was pointing at my front car. I thought I knew the guy at first. But I find out that my lights weren't on. My god I thought.

Guys yesterday I was desperate and took a alprazolam 0.25 pill (I guess their called xans). I want to avoid it but I had to try....it did nothing for me. Nothing at all. Im scared of taking pills. I just don't think they will work for me. But if this gets worst, I guess ill have no choice. I also am a cigarette smoker, but only at the job. But right now, im back to being a true smoker again. My job use to suck to me, but right now, id rather be there than here any time lol.

guys I know its fear. As I'm typing with you now I feel this pressure in my chest. When I get into my bed, immediately I feel the fear coming. I did some stretches earlier, and the pressure release dame near made me cry. My body felt so stressed. I guess no sleep will do this. Can relaxed naps or lay downs help a bit??? Because I think relaxing or getting a understanding of how to relax is where I need to start. Does this help, doing stretches and breathing??? It seem to have helped. But once I got into the bed "my god" it came back...

Do I need medication now? Does medication really work?? Its been two strong long weeks so far dealing with this for me. Do I give it time first to see if exercise and breathing helps? Do I need to talk with a psychiatrist now??

also what do you think about when you lay down to rest??? Im thinking all these things. Seems that when Im trying to get comfortable and take off sleeping, I get all these weird jumps in my body. Im also thinking now that I might have stomach cancer. Because ive been dealing with a bacteria overgrowth in my stomach for a year now. These doctors looks at me as if im a young dude (I look young) but im 37 years old. They look at me with that look "get out of here your stressed".....when I went to this recent doctor as he was talking to me, I started to tear up. He saw that I was in pain. He said to call him if things get worst.

lol I can write all day. But again thanks for reaching out. Its really apricated. And I will follow some of those links.

Thank you