My anxiety is going to rear its ugly head...

somedaymaybe

somedaymaybe

I've conquered anxiety for the most part; it no longer controls me like it once did. However, I think naturally I am just someone who is prone to feeling anxious regardless of it once being a disorder of mine. It typically shows its face when I need to step outside of my comfort zone, or I am put in an embarrassing/difficult/stressful situation. Any situation that I have zero control over. Or any situation that I can't predict or that I have no experience/knowledge of before it happens.

Later this month I am having to have surgery. Really, it's probably one of the easiest surgeries there is, and yet it is absolutely frightening to me. I have to get all four wisdom teeth removed, so I will need to be put under anesthetic. I have never had surgery before, never spent more than a few hours in a hospital before, and never been under anesthetic. I am also needle phobic and I can't stop thinking about needles, and needles entering my skin and veins. Going to sleep while they operate is also anxiety inducing, as it means I will not be in control and I worry I won't wake up. I'm also petrified of the pain after the surgery; of course I will be on pain medication, but it wears off and it's not a miracle worker either. I have a very low pain tolerance and I'm scared I'm not going to be able to handle it.

I know for a fact, because I know who and how I am as a person and how my anxiety is, that I am going to freak out on the day of the surgery. I'm going to be a crying, stressful mess. Probably in panic mode the entire time. I just can't stop thinking of all the things they have to do, and all the pain I'm going to feel, and all the uncertainty.

Does anyone have any advice? How do you manage your anxiety in situations like this? How do you try not to drive yourself insane with panic and fear? I need help!

T

Tomorrows a new day

Hi, anxiety and fear go hand in hand, it's an overreaction to something that triggers anxiety. Some people are sensitive to this and have an overactive amygdala that causes the fight or flight response. You can try breathing techniques and try not to keep thinking about the situation, but that's easier said than done, another thing is to try an exercise like swimming to relax you and put you in a more positive mood. For more severe symptoms you can try some meds

N

natalie

And I'll agree on that note regards meds. For my terrible anxiety in any given situation, I now and I never was on anxiety med before now, I take Pregablin, which is a very good anxiety med for me, oops, anti anxiety med, now I tak 50ml once or twice a day, and it really does help to counteract the anxieties, which, I might face.

I would contact your general practioner doctor, and if they are unable to, they can refer you on to a pshchartrist, who can assess you further, order any tests, and write up suitable medication.

Y

Yellowdiamond

I've conquered anxiety for the most part; it no longer controls me like it once did. However, I think naturally I am just someone who is prone to feeling anxious regardless of it once being a disorder of mine. It typically shows its face when I need to step outside of my comfort zone, or I am put in an embarrassing/difficult/stressful situation. Any situation that I have zero control over. Or any situation that I can't predict or that I have no experience/knowledge of before it happens.

Later this month I am having to have surgery. Really, it's probably one of the easiest surgeries there is, and yet it is absolutely frightening to me. I have to get all four wisdom teeth removed, so I will need to be put under anesthetic. I have never had surgery before, never spent more than a few hours in a hospital before, and never been under anesthetic. I am also needle phobic and I can't stop thinking about needles, and needles entering my skin and veins. Going to sleep while they operate is also anxiety inducing, as it means I will not be in control and I worry I won't wake up. I'm also petrified of the pain after the surgery; of course I will be on pain medication, but it wears off and it's not a miracle worker either. I have a very low pain tolerance and I'm scared I'm not going to be able to handle it.

I know for a fact, because I know who and how I am as a person and how my anxiety is, that I am going to freak out on the day of the surgery. I'm going to be a crying, stressful mess. Probably in panic mode the entire time. I just can't stop thinking of all the things they have to do, and all the pain I'm going to feel, and all the uncertainty.

Does anyone have any advice? How do you manage your anxiety in situations like this? How do you try not to drive yourself insane with panic and fear? I need help!
I also have phobia of needles and taking blodtests..not much to do about it other than take them, It goes fast. I Also removed my visdom teeth. It went well. I Wish you good luck.

T

Tomorrows a new day

I forgot to mention CBD oil, it gives me a great nights sleep

somedaymaybe

somedaymaybe

Hi, anxiety and fear go hand in hand, it's an overreaction to something that triggers anxiety. Some people are sensitive to this and have an overactive amygdala that causes the fight or flight response. You can try breathing techniques and try not to keep thinking about the situation, but that's easier said than done, another thing is to try an exercise like swimming to relax you and put you in a more positive mood. For more severe symptoms you can try some meds
And I'll agree on that note regards meds. For my terrible anxiety in any given situation, I now and I never was on anxiety med before now, I take Pregablin, which is a very good anxiety med for me, oops, anti anxiety med, now I tak 50ml once or twice a day, and it really does help to counteract the anxieties, which, I might face.

I would contact your general practioner doctor, and if they are unable to, they can refer you on to a pshchartrist, who can assess you further, order any tests, and write up suitable medication.
Thank you for your replies. As mentioned in my original post, I have suffered with anxiety in the past, but feel it will always be part of me. I was on medication and in therapy for 6+ years. I no longer need therapy or medication. I am just asking for help in regards to how to deal with feeling anxious and scared of a new situation. I'm not going to suddenly take up medication and therapy again just so I can have surgery. However, I will try the breathing techniques, as this is something I once had to learn. It might help, it might not, but I'll see how it goes. Thanks.