My adult daughter.. Severe depression and anxiety..

D

Drea1025

My 23 yr old daughter lives with me and has depression and anxiety and although not officially diagnosed, we feel (and so does she) that she may be bipolar. She is on an anti-depressant as well as an anti-anxiety med and most recently was put on a mood stabilizer. The problem is she's terrible with being consistent with taking her meds. Yesterday I was with her in her room for about an hour and 1/2 while she was completely freaking out on me about how terrible her life is and comparing herself to others and brought up things from the past and made me to feel at fault for most things. I find out that she hasn't taken her meds for 3 days. Her tirade happens about every 3 weeks or so and pretty much always coincides with her not taking her meds regularly. So I get to sit there while she yells, screams, cries and she hurls hurtful words at me, and no matter what I say or don't say nothing is ever right. I don't know whether to stay in the room with her or leave a the point where she starts verbally attacking me. I don't know what the right thing is. The issues that she screams about are basically always about the same things and she repeats herself constantly. I'm drained and am so tired of this cycle with her. She always apologizes after she's calmed down and tells me she doesn't mean to hurt me etc. I know she means it. But I'm tired of being a human punching bag (in the verbal sense). I also have depression and anxiety, but not to the degree that she does. I am also on medication. It's been harder for me to stay strong for her lately. I feel like I'm barely hanging on sometimes and when she has days like this where she's in verbal attack mode, I feel myself thinking what is the point of any of this. I try to talk to those close to me, but they don't really understand. I thank you for just reading this. I felt a need to get it out to people who "get it".

R

Roseessa

You need to tell her to have a medication.
Or tell her doctor or if she is at therapy or something let them know so they can get it in to her head that she needs her pills.
You should leave as soon as she starts getting abusive.
You have your own problems/mental health issues to deal with and this definitely wont help.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

well she is lucky to have you there as my mother usually gets up walks out or changes the subject so now i am blanking out as i have no safety valve.

but yes you are right its not good for your daughter to keep doing this and have you considered both going at the same time to see a counsellor? because if you get overwhelmed then what?

what i have to remind myself is that my parent(s) had parents who made mistakes got it wrong and so it goes back in history. for everyone. its a messed up world and we can only do our best and that dont look like that to the ones we love another fact.

D

Drea1025

well she is lucky to have you there as my mother usually gets up walks out or changes the subject so now i am blanking out as i have no safety valve.

but yes you are right its not good for your daughter to keep doing this and have you considered both going at the same time to see a counsellor? because if you get overwhelmed then what?

what i have to remind myself is that my parent(s) had parents who made mistakes got it wrong and so it goes back in history. for everyone. its a messed up world and we can only do our best and that dont look like that to the ones we love another fact.
I have recently been thinking about trying to go to counseling together. I just need to find a therapist that both takes my insurance and actually calls me back so I could set something up. It's unbelievable how difficult it is to have anyone call back. Very frustrating. Thanks very much for responding...

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
I'm sorry this is happening to you, walk away as soon as she becomes abusive.
You have to take care of you.
Here to listen
Take care