• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

My 19 y/o daughter who has no friends and it breaks my heart

Mom_To_Two_Too

Mom_To_Two_Too

She has CPTSD, OCD and ED tendencies with high anxiety. We moved around a lot as she grew up and because of an unstable family life she had a hard time forming friendships along the way. She now has a boyfriend who lives with us but she has zero friends, not even a single girl friend. It breaks my heart because she's amazing.

She writes my on whatsapp and instagram all day long because she has no one else to write to. Her older sister, 29 (also lives at home) has a group of friends who she is always doing things with and writing to. Her sister complains every day about how badly her life sucks and I know it's hard on the younger one to hear that because her life actually does suck.

She goes to night school 3 times a week to try to get her high school diploma and she is in class with 1 other girl (older than her) and a bunch of guys. There are maybe 10 students total in her grade.

She is sweet and funny and nice and sensitive and kids (and adults--she was groomed online when she was 12-13) have always taken advantage of that. Because of her trauma and anxiety she doesn't stand up for herself. Because she has gotten burned I'm afraid she is scared of trying to make friends, but I know she wants them.

Can anyone else relate to what she is going through and maybe tell me it will get better for her?

F

Frankum35

She has CPTSD, OCD and ED tendencies with high anxiety. We moved around a lot as she grew up and because of an unstable family life she had a hard time forming friendships along the way. She now has a boyfriend who lives with us but she has zero friends, not even a single girl friend. It breaks my heart because she's amazing.

She writes my on whatsapp and instagram all day long because she has no one else to write to. Her older sister, 29 (also lives at home) has a group of friends who she is always doing things with and writing to. Her sister complains every day about how badly her life sucks and I know it's hard on the younger one to hear that because her life actually does suck.

She goes to night school 3 times a week to try to get her high school diploma and she is in class with 1 other girl (older than her) and a bunch of guys. There are maybe 10 students total in her grade.

She is sweet and funny and nice and sensitive and kids (and adults--she was groomed online when she was 12-13) have always taken advantage of that. Because of her trauma and anxiety she doesn't stand up for herself. Because she has gotten burned I'm afraid she is scared of trying to make friends, but I know she wants them.

Can anyone else relate to what she is going through and maybe tell me it will get better for her?
I have 3 friends from childhood that I no longer see. The rest the people are circumstantial. Friends to go out and trust is zero. I am 32 now and I feel the need to belong. I am sorry about your daughter.

C

confused31

Your daughter is still young and she has plenty of time to make friends. She is still a teenager it can be an awkward age and there is so much preasure on kids today. I think shes lucky you are looking out for her and care about her and she has her sister and boyfriend too. Msybe when she is finished her current class she might go to college and make friends there or she might try a new hobby and make friends that way or through work in the future

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Mom_To_Two_Too Mom with CPTSD wondering what to do if daughter with CPTSD (et al.) cannot finish school Relationships and Mental Health 5
I Help me to help my daughter Relationships and Mental Health 19
D 11 yo daughter always misinterpret things to be an attack on her Relationships and Mental Health 30
B My partner has BPD Relationships and Mental Health 2
S My boyfriend has depression and its affecting me. Relationships and Mental Health 2
R Partner has anxiety Relationships and Mental Health 6
I Boyfriend wants to take break after learning he has depression Relationships and Mental Health 3
J Hearbroken, my ex has been with someone for 10 months Relationships and Mental Health 3
wednesday addams Who Has Been There For You? Relationships and Mental Health 39
Y My friend has extremely low self-esteem Relationships and Mental Health 2
T My girlfriend has psychosis Relationships and Mental Health 13
G Trying to understand if my ex has BPD Relationships and Mental Health 5
F I think my fiance has BPD and he's walked out, again Relationships and Mental Health 3
W My friend of 17 years has borderline personality disorder Relationships and Mental Health 4
F Who has kids? Relationships and Mental Health 12
C My partner has bpd and has disappeared Relationships and Mental Health 4
C My sister has BPD Relationships and Mental Health 2
D My father has gone too far Relationships and Mental Health 1
ToastToTaste My Fiance has DID, and one of his alters hates me. Relationships and Mental Health 4
Hello513 So I am moving in with someone, and It has brought up feelings I have not had in a long time. Relationships and Mental Health 5
E Found out my ex has had a baby with his new girlfriend Relationships and Mental Health 1
B (You just have to learn how to cope everyone has problems)..... I get told while I stand on a house of coping mechanism. Relationships and Mental Health 8
M I think my wife has BPD Relationships and Mental Health 15
H Girlfriend has gone silent Relationships and Mental Health 2
M My heterosexual fiancé is bisexual and has been cheating on me Relationships and Mental Health 65
K Girfriend has BPD and I dont know how to help. Help? Relationships and Mental Health 2
I Help! My ex has BPD (and cancer) and I'm close to a breakdown. Relationships and Mental Health 1
F Advice on how to deal with a new man who has admitted to me he has depression Relationships and Mental Health 21
F Wife qont admit she has an issue and is been unfair Relationships and Mental Health 3
N My husband has diagnosed Borderline Personality Disorder and PTSD...need support Relationships and Mental Health 6
C Boyfriend has Bi-polar - I need some help understanding it. Relationships and Mental Health 13
P Need Friends in similar situations to chat with please. Relationships and Mental Health 9
C girl and friends Relationships and Mental Health 1
S How do I get back to being friends with an avoidant person that I accidentally pushed too hard? Relationships and Mental Health 18
Lilly776 this thread is for new people wanting new friends to talk to Relationships and Mental Health 8
sunnyJams15 Having No Friends My Age Makes Life Transitions Tough! Relationships and Mental Health 3
I My friend stopped talking to me were we even friends to begin with? Relationships and Mental Health 4
C need advice for the girl and friends Relationships and Mental Health 1
S My Depression is pushing my friends away. Relationships and Mental Health 2
7777 Friends don't respect my boundaries Relationships and Mental Health 6
M Friends Relationships and Mental Health 12
Prettyroses99 Holding hands and physical contact with friends Relationships and Mental Health 1
P I'm scared of making friends because I feel like I'll just disappoint them Relationships and Mental Health 24
beeyourselfkid Making friends without being taken advantage of Relationships and Mental Health 2
5 Are most of your friends the same gender as you? Relationships and Mental Health 13