• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

musical hallucinations

M

mully

i have a chronic problem with musical hallucinations and they have been constant for nearly 3 years,sometimes i get the odd break from it but most of the time im constantly in pain with it, does anyone else suffer with this problem

cheers

james

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Welcome to the forum James, can you describe a little bit more?

Darkred

Darkred

I have had these quite a few times. The first one I got was when I was 10 and oddly enough it was a pokemon tune from the old gameboy games. Since then they come back every now and then more so when stressed. It's kind of weird to be lying there in complete silence then hear a pokemon tune on repeat. It's never bothered me because as I got older it started to happen less and in all fairness I like the tune! I can also bring this on myself which is quite weird.

:welcome: To the forum.

D

DavidC

Hi Mully

I have had this problem before, always seemed to happen when I was under stress of some sort. I would also get the 'Shadow Man' at night while in bed standing over me during these times.

I try occupy my senses when it happens, read, watch tv, chop fire wood, listen to radio, walk with head phones in listing to what i want to hear.

Also since starting an antipsychotic med as mood stabilizer I haven't experienced it. When i say since starting an antipsychotic I mean adding it to my combo of meds.

Hope this passes for you soon, I know how distressing it is.

Hang in there

E

Eigau

Hi there, welcome! I also have musical experiences. I enjoy them especially when the voice chime in with singing. Only when they start swapping out words and changing the lyrics is it very slightly annoying but. I can change the song to something else. For me, I've learnt that the voices can get bored of the same song and that is why they change the lyrics. So keeping the music fresh and varied seems to be soothing for both me and the voices. Are you able to interact with the music you hear? EG Can you add sounds or words to the stream? Do you initiate the tunes or are they spontaneous?

Thanks for asking this question.

N

natalie

Hi all,

I must admit and also agree with another post member, that being on antiphsycotics stablises, any constant msuical so called hallucinations, that I might have had in the past, before I became very unwell, in fact ah, with a strong family music and musical based talent background, I always loved and still do love having music even so to speak spiritually within me, I feel, that also, I have to agree, and boy does it take somedoing, that before I can think about listening to easy listening music, I have to happily listeni to upbeat uptempo musicals, in order to send off the voices or my stresses away and out of me. Then, and only then, and eventually, or after when I have next been able to get a workout done, eventually after that if at all, can I then easily switch over so to speak, to easy listening music. I suppose that I am different, to those on here, that with as I explained a music based talented ship withi my family tree, I very much love even if it is to drive me nuts slightly though not over driving me nuts, to ahve music and I also like to have the singining voice chiming in with the arrangement in my head also. Due to the fact, I'm very unwell through another set of problems about me, and in order to keep my own stresses to a minimum, this is probably the most reasonable explanation why, I'll love to wear headphones, and listen to music even if it might be "constant" through my personal cd player, and I still haven't changed, when volunteering, de-stressing in at home, and preparing and actually air travelling, and throuighout on holiday away, and it then continues on and on after I'm back home as well, basically and very mcuh so, I feel, that music keeps me and gets me very much calmed down and keeps me calmer and relaxed.

Sorry, it's just an opinion I have always had about me, in order to keep the hearing talkative or loud blurry inthe distant voices spirtually within me, down, I'll very much love to listen to music.

I hope though for you, can't remember your username now, that you do improve upon what must be for you as you say, constant non stop musical hallucinations, I hope you do get to seekk help, or some form of relief of a longer spell, from it all.

Natalie.

E

Eigau

I neglected to say that "constant" musical experiences can be very draining and tiring. Just for the most part I do enjoy them. If you could have some measure of control over the music played would that give some relief? Or would you prefer it gone for good? The reason I ask, is that music can be a positive experience as it has been in my case. If there was a measure of control over frequency and duration would that not be a good result?

Take care. Te

Last edited:
S

supergreysmoke

Any hallucinations I have, tend to visual, and music is really important to me. Tend not to get earworms. I do have what might be synaesthetic experiences when music can put on a full large screen TV inside my head.