• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Music is medicine, music is sanity

schiz01

schiz01

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C_SBGTJgBGo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C_SBGTJgBGo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

M

maudikie

To schizo 1.

I agree that music can be beautifully relaxing, but it depends(for em) whaat sort. I like the melodious type - I dislike pop and rap etc. they jus wind you up. If you listen to an orchestra it makes you realise that groups can work so well tgether, and make life harmonious. The balad too are restful.

Happy listening.:flowers:

schiz01

schiz01

I recently met a guy who runs workshops for people with mental illness.He is a very talented musician himself and inspired me to post this as it may be of benefit to others.
He basically gathers a small group of people together and teaches them to play their particular instrument in tune with the other members as a form of therapy.
One particular girl who suffered from schizophrenia and was very shy and who hadn't spoke for many years benefited greatly from it.She later appeared on TV preformed in front of a live ordinance and spoke to the interviewer about her recovery.
:)

Star-28

Star-28

very interesting. i enjoyed the video. im about to go rent that movie too!! i love playing music. I have an African drum called a Dgembe and an Australian instrument called a Didgeridoo. I enjoy playing them both.

N

natalie

I do understand and realise this is such an old thread, there is an aspect, which I wholeheartedly agree, music is very much medicine, in its own right, and to anyone suffering anxiety very severe, depression, moderate, and anyone in the szchiophrenia catagories, just try listening to music, and also musicals, they really do wonders, much better than having to be on med, I'd say, (don't get me started on that note)and I like to be c reative with my music listening throughout the day, nowadays, and onto the evening times of days.

Kerome

Kerome

I know how it is very helpful for many people, but when I’m experiencing voices I find music to be irritating more than anything. When I’m in a normal medicated space with no voices then I really enjoy music, a whole range of different things from pop to classical.

I came across this the other day which I liked very much...

N

natalie

I would like to see, that for those people entering into the world of mental health for the very first time, now I have said this before offering, that pshychartrist ought to prescribe music as the new medicince for this day and age, forget about actual prescribed medications for new mental health sufferers, it's music which is the key answer for balancing, mental health attributes, as I've vouched before for those with anxiety, hearing voices, schizophrenia conditions, such like myself, and depression, music really works wonders, and I like to be creative with my music listening cd tracks, and throw away certainly old medications in the pshychatry world and offer music instead.

Those whom presently are on med, well, we're stuck, and music as the extra creative, I'm thinking in terms of new people just venturing into the pshychatry world, as outpatients I mean.

When I had phrases, of, and it would seem, that police brits sort, would be talking about me, when they are probably not, and much worse in person on my part, that via this problem i woudl experince in at home, within some moments, of suffering off course they are similar, hearing voices, and paranoia, I would put on my walkman, listen to really upbeat up tempo music, and within later, of a couple of hours, I am much much better, so I would say, to phychatrists, forget about wondering whether to prescribe and even older meds, when ordering ct or mri scans to be done, ORDER to prescribe to patients doses of music listening instead.

That's my opinon on the matter, so to my mind, music is very much even this day and age, for me personally, music is medicine, and as they would no doubt, well I will be in a short while, play on...

Kerome

Kerome

What kind of music really helps you Natalie? Can you list a track or two?

N

natalie

I couldn't list a track, I have far too many to mention, however, I can let you know the overall names of the cds, which really help;

Sister Act Musical - Stage version, London cast recording

Hairspray Film soundtrack

Dreamgirls Musical cd

Newses Musical cd - this is a very dark musical, however, I like, it, even though dad's not really keen on this one.

And artists such as Diana Krall, Bette Midler, Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga, Michael Buble, and Jane McDonald

I hope this gives you an idea.

Funnyday

Funnyday

Here's a track I did back in 1995 or 1996. What do you think of it?

I only did the vocals on it. The rest was done by someone that hacked my computer to steal lyrics etc.

I enjoy listening to music. I find that it helps me relax.

fazza

fazza

I love the title of this thread. You have hit the nail on the head.
I am having to use my phone for posts and I can’t find the like button