• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Music and beer is the only thing that works

Dexter85

Dexter85

recently I’m finding my moods are ok and then BANG I am in free fall. I find the only thing that helps is a few beers and loud music in my ears... I don’t have many close friends so drinking alone is the only option but I don’t drink too much .. just to numb the senses and I find music with headphones help to ease the overdrive brain ... does anyone else have anything similar ?

I’m always worse on weekends when work is quieter and I’m alone more ..

KMV

KMV

Hey there,

I just joined today. This forum seems like a great support. In my humble opinion, music is fine but and alcohol isnmoderate consumption is fine but please pay attention to if you are drinking more than usual.

Being alone can be hard....you have to sit with your feelings and uncomfortable emotions....

Coffee is awesome.

Dexter85

Dexter85

Hey there,

I just joined today. This forum seems like a great support. In my humble opinion, music is fine but and alcohol isnmoderate consumption is fine but please pay attention to if you are drinking more than usual.

Being alone can be hard....you have to sit with your feelings and uncomfortable emotions....

Coffee is awesome.
Thanks for the reply... I don’t usually drink but I do find my self drinking more and more recently ... doesn’t help the diet that’s for sure !!

Music is fine but I have odd taste in music 🎧 😂

KMV

KMV

For me...getting out walking has been great...fall is approaching here in Canada.

Alcohol doesn't help the diet and it's also a depressant.

Hope this weekend goes okay for ya.

U

user9898

Really loud music helps me also. Alcohol helps right when you drink it but afterwards when the alcohol is metabolized it is so painful I try to avoid it and just drink a very small amount.

Exercise definitely helps but when I feel the most depressed and anxious, it's the least thing I want. I don't want to do anything in that state and I can't find a way to get out of it so I just wait and eventually I think of something, call someone or do something. This state of not even wanting to get out of the low mood and anxiety is very strange and I am having a hard time figuring out what to do.

KMV

KMV

It can be very, very difficult sitting with uncomfortable emotions.

Have you ever thought of talking to a trained professional or medication?

Glad the music is helping.

U

user9898

It can be very, very difficult sitting with uncomfortable emotions.

Have you ever thought of talking to a trained professional or medication?

Glad the music is helping.
Sorry for hijacking the thread! I am currently off anti-depr meds since 2 mnths, mostly I am better with more emotions available but there can be lows when I run into the usual setbacks life has to offer. I am trying to adjust to having all these emotions and it requires for me to change, to seek more social contact than before. I have been in therapy years ago and I am not interested in it right now. Just writing about it on this forum is very helpful for me! Thank you for caring, it definitely works!

I

indigo6

Yes Dexter I have done this. You will know there are different stages or strengths to depression and when it was darkestblack I countered it with your current coping method but not really the drink. Music is incredible what it can do and the louder the better (can damage ears though so be careful)
If its working right now for you?? then so be it.

N

natalie

I have to agree that for my mental health condiitons, I do not have depression problems, music is the key contributor, and volumne wise, yes, louder the music the better, throuigh headphones, from a personal cd player, ah even thouigh I am on medication,

however, I haven't touched a drop of alochol like a bargepole, not since, becoming ill, and on the right med, since July 2007, and we're presently now in 2019./

Further, exercise is also the key component, and is great for reducing those depression, endorphins, and stress endorphins.

I can't comment on the alone front, as I have parental and brother support, in at home.

I don't have unfortunately and inadvertantly many friends, then, I'm not at fault for that, I had a big move happen back in 95, and that drove, 2 out of my many friends away, and also the others could have moved out of the area.

Best regards.

G

Georgette0824

Hi, I'm new to the forums today. I'm curious, did you know what caused the freefall? I get worried if I can't tell why I'm descending.
Glad you have an effective, coping strategy. Knowing what you're going through, I believe, you should use whatever gets you through.
I find weekends the worst, when I'm down. They're tough when you're on your own and over 30 as people tend to spend time with their families or family friends, they don't know what to do with an oddment.

Mayfair

Mayfair

I find the only thing that helps is a few beers and loud music in my ears... I don’t have many close friends so drinking alone is the only option but I don’t drink too much .. just to numb the senses and I find music with headphones help to ease the overdrive brain ... does anyone else have anything similar ?

Yes.

Thanks for the reply... I don’t usually drink but I do find my self drinking more and more recently ... doesn’t help the diet that’s for sure !!

Music is fine but I have odd taste in music 🎧 😂

What is your odd taste in music? (if I may ask)

I know there is music that isn't widely popular, but that wouldn't make it odd (no one I know enjoys the music that I do)

I'm curious :) :sherlock: