• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Muscle twitching all over body please help

J

Jtreyo1989

Hi so now I’m freaking out because I have muscle twitching all over my body allllll day long!!!! It’s in my arms and legs really bad you can see them twitching like crazy all day long they don’t hurt they just start twitching you can see my muscles twitching alllll over the place ..
I did this before about ten years ago and went to the doctors a lot cuz I thought I had als but didn’t and now it’s back it’s been doing it now for several months and when I good my symptoms of course it’s als I’m freaking out now scared to death I’m so so so scared now I don’t have the other symptoms though of als just the twitching but it’s crazy you can see them I’m scared please does anyone else get muscle twitching all over the place??

H

Headintheclouds

Muscle twitching can be caused by extreme anxiety and holding your body tense (flight or fight mode). I get it all the time, it's harmless. If it was ALS, you would have other symptoms. I find taking a magnesium supplement at bedtime to be helpful.

Faith198

Faith198

When I was really low on magnesium I had a lot of muscle twitching. Also caffeine can cause it

W

WanderingA

I used to get this when my anxiety was bad. My body was so tense that all your muscles twitch as they've been tight for to long. Don't panic!! U need to try find something that can make you relax for a little while.. With the body twitches sometimes I used to get a slight fever like symptoms but my temp was normal. The body is an amazing thing its basically telling you to calm down.

M

MR57

Hi so now I’m freaking out because I have muscle twitching all over my body allllll day long!!!! It’s in my arms and legs really bad you can see them twitching like crazy all day long they don’t hurt they just start twitching you can see my muscles twitching alllll over the place ..
I did this before about ten years ago and went to the doctors a lot cuz I thought I had als but didn’t and now it’s back it’s been doing it now for several months and when I good my symptoms of course it’s als I’m freaking out now scared to death I’m so so so scared now I don’t have the other symptoms though of als just the twitching but it’s crazy you can see them I’m scared please does anyone else get muscle twitching all over the place??
My body also starts twitching when my anxiety got serious. My feet, legs, back and also face are twitching sometimes during the day, especially when I lay down or when I'm seated. I also freaked out about ALS but it is apparently a common physical symptoms of anxiety. The nerves and muscles are not working as usual because of stress. Do you remember how did you to calm theses muscles twitching years ago ?

R

RiffRaff

Muscle fasciculations. I have them all the time and they are stress related.

Storm in a Teacup

Storm in a Teacup

I suffer from severe anxiety and get muscle spasms and tics. Sometimes they're especially bad if I'm faced with a stressor that I just can't handle. It could be this in your case. But there's also a condition on the NHS website called Restless Legs Syndrome that can cause this. It can also affect the arms. I would go back to your GP/doctor and see if they can run some tests to rule out this syndrome. If you suffer from anxiety or something similar though, it's possible it could be the physical symtoms of your anxiety. I hope that helps somewhat, good luck.

Storm in a Teacup

Storm in a Teacup

I was given benzos and they helped with mine, but they won't let me have more because due to my low weight/blood pressure, it would put me at risk. But maybe there are drugs or something out there that you doctor might know about.

Carol1952

Carol1952

I dont know if this will help any but I have tremors shaking not all day long though I take inderol i dont know if that may help u any.i do twitch to it is so annoying.Especially when u legs are unrelaxed I also have restless leg,maybe that si what u have.i know it can go through your entire body.I take dont how to spell it sound like cojentin.It helps with my legs some.

M

markprosso538

I've had them in my legs, but it's been a long time. Other then meds, I'm not sure what causes it or some kind of withdrawal.

ineedabettername

ineedabettername

I used to get this whenever I had major anxiety & panic attacks when I was younger.. usually around times of stress or when I was smoking weed. Sometime’s I’d get numb patches & tense up too. If that’s the only symptom, give it some time to see if it settles down. If not, it wouldn’t hurt to go get it checked out.