munchausen? Hypochondria? Something else?

D

DeDe91

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post but I would like some advice, I have heart/lung problems anxiety and depression but I always want something to be wrong with me when docs say my test results are fine I get really annoyed I even smoke when I know I shouldn't I got told to stop taken naproxen coz of the side effects but it makes me want to take them even more and take more of them, every time I get a chest pain or that I pray it's a heart attack or stroke, when I here of people being injured or that I get jealous and wish it was me then I feel bad because I shouldn't be thinking things like this I don't know why I do it, any ideas? Sorry for long post

W

waitingforsummer

Hi DeDe,

I don't know if it's good to give yourself a label like that. It sounds like you want someone to notice you and to take care of you. Have you ever seen a counsellor or therapist? They could help you get to the bottom of this and address the issues that are making you feel this way xxx

S

seekingsense2

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post but I would like some advice, I have heart/lung problems anxiety and depression but I always want something to be wrong with me when docs say my test results are fine I get really annoyed I even smoke when I know I shouldn't I got told to stop taken naproxen coz of the side effects but it makes me want to take them even more and take more of them, every time I get a chest pain or that I pray it's a heart attack or stroke, when I here of people being injured or that I get jealous and wish it was me then I feel bad because I shouldn't be thinking things like this I don't know why I do it, any ideas? Sorry for long post
I'm sorry if you feel like you may have some health anxiety..or perhaps a sort of reverse of that. may be you do feel like you want the care and attention. But I can tell you that I have been disappointed recently when i am well but for different reasons...if I were to become terminally ill it would take the responsibility of death away from me...and ass strange as it sounds I would feel better for not having to live long and would get pain medication. I'm not sure if you have the same type of feelings.

D

DeDe91

Thanks I think it is something to do with attention when I was a child my mum seemed to hate the fact I had heart problems every time I was in hospital she would get angry and tell me to stop attention seeking even tho I didn't think I was she did it all the time so then I started trying really hard not to be an attention seeker but it was never good enough for her, she started doing it at home and I was never aloud to talk about being in hospital do you think that could be it?

W

waitingforsummer

It could be DeDe. Sounds like you have had a tough time. xxx

pepecat

pepecat

Maybe it's because when you were genuinely ill, your mum didn't give you the care and attention she (ideally) should have - perhaps she herself was jealous of you getting attention from the nurses? - and now you almost want to 'prove' you're ill?
If your mum stopped you talking about being in hosptial or being unwell, it's almost like she was pretending it wasn't happening, and now you feel you need to be ill to say 'Look, I really AM unwell' and get the attention you didn't get as a child.
Do you know why your mum didn't like you talking about being in hospital?

D

DeDe91

That makes a lot of sense, I have no idea why she doesn't like me talking about it she's the same now, she's different with my little brother he has asthma and she goes on like its the worst thing ever she even told me one time that asthma was worse than my heart problem.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Anxiety Forum 9
buzzbuzz Anxiety Forum 8