• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

MP uses the description 'schizophrenic'

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Just been catching up with some news etc, while I did some work and wouldn't you know a supposéd educated person, a barrister and MP no less, decided to use the word 'schizophrenic' as explanatory for a lack of political continuity. I wonder if he'd be so flippant using other minorities to emphasis his point in use of non-descriptive generalisations or would he find it offensive, perhaps even finding it politically expedient?

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
If anyone is interested the programme is available on the BBC's new iPlayer (link below) for the next week, the relevant part is at around 15:50-16:20. Particulalry interesting is the context and the body language, particulalry the individual's use of hands...

BBC iPlayer

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Complaint to BBC...

I wish to complain about one of your guests’ comments on 'The Record Review' broadcast in part on News 24 this morning. It is not bad enough that a supposéd educated man, barrister and elected member, chose to use the qualification of 'Schizophrenic' in his description of his own views (15:50-16:20 in the video playback of the show via BBC iPlayer) with a subtext to the narrative that it was somehow reflective of inconsistent thought, but that this use of generalisation of a disabling mental illness as a quip also went unchallenged by the presenter. I can only presume as this section of the community is marginalised and predominately voiceless it is deemed acceptable for the term to be used beyond its neuropsychiatric boundaries; given the umbrella nature of the condition(s) and the broad diagnostic criteria used via the DSM IV, the fact that the guest chose to imply the simplistic stereotype of fractured personality only reinforces stigmatisation of the mentally ill. I must venture if common stereotypes were used for other minorities would that be acceptable? Such language plays upon out-group stereotyping, in this case with the guest projecting unwanted and inconsistent thought upon people diagnosed with schizophrenia. If one analyses the discourse and body language at the exact point it is clearly derogatory use of what is a medical term, even if he is using it to describe his own cognition. The use of the word is accompanied by a pushing away as if filtering to the left and the right which has a historic significance that should not be lost on the individual in question.

Regards,

xxxxx xxxx

midnight

midnight

Founding Member
Complaint to BBC...

I wish to complain about one of your guests’ comments on 'The Record Review' broadcast in part on News 24 this morning.

well done you for making the effort to do something - let us know if they take it seriously

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Well they wouldn't allow it with other groups...

A

Apotheosis

I have been noticing this quite allot on TV & on the radio recently; in the media, that people use the term "schizophrenic" to describe something in a derogatory way which has messed up or is very unorganised & muddled etc.

Other things which I find are very ingrained is that people refer to a mentally ill person as a "schizophrenic" - not a person suffering with schizophrenia. Imagine if we referred to people as; oh she's a cancerous breast. I know it's arguing semantics to a degree, but it is the label & not the person being referred to here. & the label, how ignorant most people are!, even most friends, family & acquaintances still consider that schizophrenia must have something to do with split personality. It infuriates me - a split between "reality" & the "delusional" or the well part of the mind & psychosis - I try to explain is more in line where this myth comes from, & is an aspect or observation of the "illness" as opposed to an explanation. They don't get it though.

Oh & we are a very violent lot us schitzos, when we're not hacking people to death with machetes, were murdering all our family or raping teenagers. Give me strength.:cry:

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Mate you're bringing up something that is quite common in academic literature...

The I have to the I am dynamic

I have cancer : I am Schizophrenic

I have multiple sclerosis : I am Diabetic etc

Its a very interesting linguistic occurence...

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Complaint to BBC...

I wish to complain about one of your guests’ comments on 'The Record Review' broadcast in part on News 24 this morning.
well done you for making the effort to do something - let us know if they take it seriously
No body has answered yet, surprise surprise...

A

Apotheosis

Mate you're bringing up something that is quite common in academic literature...

The I have to the I am dynamic

I have cancer : I am Schizophrenic

I have multiple sclerosis : I am Diabetic etc

Its a very interesting linguistic occurence...
Yes I agree, but what I am trying to get at is that the use of descriptions like "a schizophrenic" or "the man was a schizophrenic" implies not one of a condition or illness, but in way of a value judgement or explanation in itself - "the schizophrenic murdered 10 people". If you get my meaning, yes I suppose it is linguistics. The word just seems so loaded to so many people.

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Yes I agree, but what I am trying to get at is that the use of descriptions like "a schizophrenic" or "the man was a schizophrenic" implies not one of a condition or illness, but in way of a value judgement or explanation in itself - "the schizophrenic murdered 10 people". If you get my meaning, yes I suppose it is linguistics. The word just seems so loaded to so many people.
I'm not arguing at all mate, it is definitely used in a way that dehumanises the individual. The label is dominant over the personality, and the subtext I suppose is that in the case of schizophrenia it is the illness that has dominance...

A

Apotheosis

I'm not arguing at all mate, it is definitely used in a way that dehumanises the individual. The label is dominant over the personality, and the subtext I suppose is that in the case of schizophrenia it is the illness that has dominance...
Yes, I agree. I hope that you do get a reply for your efforts to complain about this.

I have been discussing things on another forum which has been quite draining, they do not believe that their "psychosis" or what they are experiencing has anything to do with mental illness. It has bought up certain things I believed in the past could have been happening with me, I no longer think these things were happening. Sorry to be so cryptic. They have posted a thread on this forum as well, it's how I came across the site. I've had a good couple of days however & Sunday was very relaxing, going to go bed with a good book:sleep:. Sorry to appear argumentative.

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Not at all mate, if its to do with 'technology' I recall the threads here. I had similar features to my illness but ultimately I'm not that scared of the powers that be, in fact I have many reasons to thank them. I was re-housed as a result of my illness after I was homeless for years. To be honest the delusion never bothered me that much as if they did have the technology I'd be at the front of the queue to sign up for it :LOL:, cyborg technology is fascinating and will no doubt become a feature of human evolution over the coming centuries. If they come up with a HUD instead of my laptop I'll certainly want one :D

C

chicken

no - I don't believe it is a mental illness at all. What I have discovered you would not believe. Partially because you do not have perhaps the insight to pull the whole thing together. This phenomena is so well covered and embedded in lots of subjects or research areas - and begins with neuropsychology (man and machine) and parapsychology (remote viewing and psi). Both actually cross over - parapsychology is not its current name.

I dug for and found it - they people following me do not like it - because I have found it - therefore..... How do you explain a call which says (out of the blue)..... Do not go to the press? and the rest. How did they know I was going to be sectioned? Well twiddling the technology would give them the power to do that. Actually I was informed that this group who were after me had power and money. I have witnesses to it all......... those are the "blunders" .... I was also told that I need to watch my back - all on tape.....

I cannot change what happened to me - infact because of the "blunders" made by the people harassing me - the situation stands out really well. I have witnesses evidence, twenty years of car damage - wot did I do it myself:LOL: UUgh!! don't think so. So you think that I thought a baseball bat was a curtain track ( I was hallucinating?) I know you never said that. But being spat at, chased, threatened, dead animals etc etc..... Very satanic behaviour don't you think.....

"Cyborg" Technology? well - this is called Transhumanism and a very interesting read it is. I think that looking at the history of cybernetics and arificial intelligence might interest you. In other words - esoteric technology - "in real time". Advanced and fast - the speed of light - back to Quantum Mechanics again. Faster than the speed of thought basically - this is why voices appear so real and part of you.

Who started it - a load of people who were connected to the military and medical - psychiatrists included.

We have many patents which outline how it is done and matches exactly what we know is happening.....

This is simplistic - Military and medical (bio) combined efforts. Why do you think the DSM is changed every ten years with these people on board. Why has it got stuff about "helicopters" "MI5" etc etc..... in it then.

Use of voices - morphing software, voice changers etc etc... well documented. Silent sound technology
Pain - in body - use of and embedded in the theory of cymatics - sound, shape and meridian lines (nerve lines)

oh - and the rest.... Well documented in history of having been tried out on psychiatric patients and prisoners in Sweden, America, UK and Poland, Germany. Latvia, Belguim etc etc. If you look you will find it. Part of the Eugenics programmes. The USA one stopped in 1962 - 65,000 people were exterminated. It never ended it went underground.......

Look up medical experiments then..... They are just about to start the largest one in the UK so far....

I have had a few conversations with this countries leading experts in this are - Professor Kevin Warwick personally. He says what we experience is futuristic and the future is now. He knows - he also agrees what we experience is perfectly possible. I also spoke to to Dr David Woods and Dr Kirstie Ball - both who run the Surveillance Society Journal - they are going to start a paper on the Ethics of Chipping )remote viewing as part of the phenomena - Both believe that it is and has been abused by the medical community. They also believe that there has been some infiltration of the NHS by unorthodox groups who have been abusing their position

I am sorry if it has been quite draining - :rolleyes: I told "YOU" about this forum.

I joined both forums to inform you politely and to give you another view. In my educated opinion which has been backed up by abstracts and psychology journal info etc etc - it was in a psychology journal dated 1975 - if want to see that I can provide it.... No delusion - hard facts - I used to research for a living... degree level stuff..... "INFORM" part of the the University of central London - is currently looking into it as we speak.

Scientists for Global Responsibility - had it on their agenda - so.... you think thats a delusion then........

Chicken

Last edited:
A

Apotheosis

To be honest the delusion never bothered me that much as if they did have the technology I'd be at the front of the queue to sign up for it :LOL:, cyborg technology is fascinating and will no doubt become a feature of human evolution over the coming centuries.
Despite having in past psychotic & delusional states been convinced of Alien plots, Mind control & other assorted areas of questionable interest, I have long since not bothered too much with this line of reasoning. It bothers me not if it is going on either.

But I do look forward to the day, like yourself, when I can wake up & turn the dial of my "mood machine" to induce a state of calm contentment, climb into my faster than light orb & shoot off to the nearest star system, knowing that when I get old I can upload my brain into a semi organic computer system & be installed inside a shiny new cybotronic body. (y)