• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Moving People

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
So I am on the SHIFT e-mail distribution list (SHIFT is a body which exists to combat stigma and stereotyping - they organise a media watch - its good but doesn't seem to do much, their web address is http://www.shift.org.uk/ ) and today I got a mail about a new campaign called Moving Places with a web-site - http://snipurl.com/238wb. I copy what you find at the web-site...

>>>Please find attached below a flyer advertising positions on the Moving People User and Carer Advisory Group. Moving People is a major groundbreaking programme of national campaigns and local activity across England that will tackle stigma and discrimination, raise public awareness of mental health issues and improve mental and physical wellbeing. Moving People is led by four leading mental health organisations - Mental Health Media, Mind, Rethink, and the Institute of Psychiatry, King's College London; and funded with £18 million from the Big Lottery Fund and Comic Relief.

We would be most grateful if you could help us to publicise these vacancies as widely as possible, by forwarding this flyer on to anyone you think might be interested, or printing it out to distribute it further. Please put it up on noticeboards, include it as an insert in any newsletters you may be producing, or give it personally to anyone you know who might be interested. If you would like to request print copies to be sent to you, please contact Moving People using the details below.

We are looking for people with experience of mental health problems and their carers to be part of the Moving People User and Carer Advisory Group. The advisory group forms part of the governance of Moving People, and will be crucial to ensure user and carer views are at the heart of the programme. Group members will work closely with Moving People staff, and act as ambassadors for the programme. One group member will sit and vote on the Moving People Joint Management Group.

What we're looking for:

People with experience of mental health problems, or of caring for family or friends with mental health problems
Applicants from all over England
A diverse range of applicants, particularly from groups whose views are often underrepresented including people from black and minority ethnic backgrounds and from the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community
People with experience of taking part in a similar role at a regional or national level
Applicants who are able to commit to attending quarterly advisory group meetings
People with the ability to work as part of a team, and with good communications skills

What Advisory Group members will receive:

The chance to play an important part in one of the most exciting social movements in England
Group members will be paid for their time, and all expenses will be covered
Training and development opportunities
Opportunities to get involved in other aspects of the work of Moving People

The deadline for applications is Monday 28 April 2008, with interviews expected to take place during the week commencing 12 May, and the first formal commitment for members of the group will be 3/4 June.

For further information or to request an application pack, please contact Venetia Boon, Moving People Administrator on:
Email [email protected]
Phone 020 8215 2356
Post Moving People User and Carer Advisory Group
15-19 Broadway
Stratford
London
E15 4BQ

The application pack and flyer are also available online at www.movingpeople.org.uk/ucag. <<

So I thought that sounds interesting and went and looked at the application form. What a joke! Its as though you were applying for some high-powered managerial job with a whole lot of stuff about experience and references. Experience! Most of my experience for 20 years has been getting through the bloody day. And these are supposedly voluntary posts to involve service users.

This just makes me :mad:. I can only think this is aimed at 'professional' service users if such people exist.

And this campaign is getting 18 MILLION QUID. 18 MILLION.

This probably isn't rational as I am too wound up about it.

I wish other people would look at the stuff and provide me with a better and cooler perspective.

Nick.

yodel

yodel

Founding Member
Hi nickh

Sorry you felt so angry about the application form. I took a look and agree it is very hefty and requires a lot of information. Why don't you e mail the woman at the e mail address and express your thought regarding this? It may make you feel better. I know the project is in it's early days and that the first round of involvement (which was in the form of questionnaires) as already gone. I am confident that the project will be good at tackling discrimination but wonder how much service users and carers inputted into the forming of the application form?

yodel :)

dunglen

dunglen

Founding Member
So I am on the SHIFT e-mail distribution list (SHIFT is a body which exists to combat stigma and stereotyping - they organise a media watch - its good but doesn't seem to do much, their web address is http://www.shift.org.uk/ ) and today I got a mail about a new campaign called Moving Places with a web-site - http://snipurl.com/238wb. I copy what you find at the web-site...

>>>Please find attached below a flyer advertising positions on the Moving People User and Carer Advisory Group. Moving People is a major groundbreaking programme of national campaigns and local activity across England that will tackle stigma and discrimination, raise public awareness of mental health issues and improve mental and physical wellbeing. Moving People is led by four leading mental health organisations - Mental Health Media, Mind, Rethink, and the Institute of Psychiatry, King's College London; and funded with £18 million from the Big Lottery Fund and Comic Relief.

We would be most grateful if you could help us to publicise these vacancies as widely as possible, by forwarding this flyer on to anyone you think might be interested, or printing it out to distribute it further. Please put it up on noticeboards, include it as an insert in any newsletters you may be producing, or give it personally to anyone you know who might be interested. If you would like to request print copies to be sent to you, please contact Moving People using the details below.

We are looking for people with experience of mental health problems and their carers to be part of the Moving People User and Carer Advisory Group. The advisory group forms part of the governance of Moving People, and will be crucial to ensure user and carer views are at the heart of the programme. Group members will work closely with Moving People staff, and act as ambassadors for the programme. One group member will sit and vote on the Moving People Joint Management Group.

What we're looking for:

People with experience of mental health problems, or of caring for family or friends with mental health problems
Applicants from all over England
A diverse range of applicants, particularly from groups whose views are often underrepresented including people from black and minority ethnic backgrounds and from the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community
People with experience of taking part in a similar role at a regional or national level
Applicants who are able to commit to attending quarterly advisory group meetings
People with the ability to work as part of a team, and with good communications skills

What Advisory Group members will receive:

The chance to play an important part in one of the most exciting social movements in England
Group members will be paid for their time, and all expenses will be covered
Training and development opportunities
Opportunities to get involved in other aspects of the work of Moving People

The deadline for applications is Monday 28 April 2008, with interviews expected to take place during the week commencing 12 May, and the first formal commitment for members of the group will be 3/4 June.

For further information or to request an application pack, please contact Venetia Boon, Moving People Administrator on:
Email [email protected]
Phone 020 8215 2356
Post Moving People User and Carer Advisory Group
15-19 Broadway
Stratford
London
E15 4BQ

The application pack and flyer are also available online at www.movingpeople.org.uk/ucag. <<

So I thought that sounds interesting and went and looked at the application form. What a joke! Its as though you were applying for some high-powered managerial job with a whole lot of stuff about experience and references. Experience! Most of my experience for 20 years has been getting through the bloody day. And these are supposedly voluntary posts to involve service users.

This just makes me :mad:. I can only think this is aimed at 'professional' service users if such people exist.

And this campaign is getting 18 MILLION QUID. 18 MILLION.

This probably isn't rational as I am too wound up about it.

I wish other people would look at the stuff and provide me with a better and cooler perspective.

Nick.

18 million and no mention of Scotland - i suppose for a few £££ more they could involve people in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland but perhaps the English have a different form of mental health issues to the rest of Great Britain

D

Dollit

Dunglen - there are differences in the way some aspects of health are dealt with, look at prescription charges. I wish I lived in Wales.

L

Louise 28

Founding Member
moving places

Regarding what Nickh said earlier
perhaps even just email the Moving place people or contact the with the html/web address to this blog and let them see what real people who are in the Mental Health Arena feel- and not just about their complex forms.
Why not let them see how you have felt, following what probably started out as you having an interest and wishing to take part and be a positive member of their team.
If you do want to go for filling in the mamoth form- Ive filled in a few in my time (as have lots of people) but I dont mind helping you, PM me if you want to- sometimes forms are easier with two minds- even if mine has a few mal functions from time to time!

D

Dollit

I've had a look at the Moving People form and unfortunately it is just about standard for this type of advisory group or management committee. And what you said about you'd think it was "high powered managerial" isn't actually far off it's just on a voluntary basis. I'm not defending Shift or the form merely saying that voluntary work is sometimes quite high powered and they will go for the highest quality applicants they can get. I've seen the interview panels for management steering groups in other charities and they're really competitive. It's a sad fact that those with the most to say often have the least chance to say it.

D

davidc-k

Founding Member
18 million and no mention of Scotland - i suppose for a few £££ more they could involve people in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland but perhaps the English have a different form of mental health issues to the rest of Great Britain
Scotland has its own campaign, See Me, http://www.seemescotland.org.uk/ , which has been going for much longer and is well regarded but the evidence that it has reduced discrimination is arguable. Worth a look though...

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
I've had a look at the Moving People form and unfortunately it is just about standard for this type of advisory group or management committee. And what you said about you'd think it was "high powered managerial" isn't actually far off it's just on a voluntary basis. I'm not defending Shift or the form merely saying that voluntary work is sometimes quite high powered and they will go for the highest quality applicants they can get. I've seen the interview panels for management steering groups in other charities and they're really competitive. It's a sad fact that those with the most to say often have the least chance to say it.
Thanks to everyone for their wise and calming words. I did post in anger and was having a bit of a rant :) - but that is good for me if I can do where I know people will be understanding. A lot of things make me mad and I then have two choices - to mouth off about them which if I do it in public almost inevitably has a bad effect on me afterwards or to just internalise the anger which isn't good either, so it is great to be able to come here and rant in safety.

I am going to try and respond to the people sending out the mailing but in a measured and considered way :).

I think Dollit's post is right to the point though. I will personalise this - there's no way I can be the 'highest quality applicant' - there are lots of things I find very difficult (social stuff), I can't offer any guarantees that I won't be ill (possibly for weeks), only over the past year or so have I 'done' anything that would remotely be considered relevant 'experience' (I had to give up work 12 years ago and I gave up campaigning/activism a good while before that), a lot of my time has been spent just getting through the day (or until about 3 years ago in disastrous 'self-medication' :rolleyes:). But isn't this going to be true - in different but equivalent - ways of most service users? That's what I genuinely don't get. If you really want to involve service users then aren't you going to have accept the facts of the disability? Is it really ex-service users that they want? It seems to me that it is just as Dollit says and "It's a sad fact that those with the most to say often have the least chance to say it".

:D oh well at least here I can witter on to my hearts content.

Nick.

D

Dollit

I've been talking to davidc-k on his recent trip to Bristol and also to Telemetry and you look like another good like candidate to get together on a thread and talk about SUI at it's different levels and what we can do to promote it etc. Even if it's just cyber support and local info Nick it would be invaluable. This is one of the things I'm juggling today. But first I have to buy cat litter! :)

BTW, it's good to rant here and then you have all the calmness for considered protest. ;)

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
I've been talking to davidc-k on his recent trip to Bristol and also to Telemetry and you look like another good like candidate to get together on a thread and talk about SUI at it's different levels and what we can do to promote it etc. Even if it's just cyber support and local info Nick it would be invaluable. This is one of the things I'm juggling today. But first I have to buy cat litter! :)

BTW, it's good to rant here and then you have all the calmness for considered protest. ;)
Thanks Dollit that sounds great.

:D but go get that cat litter. I must say that moving from a flat to a house (some time ago) one of the great joys was not having to lug cat litter about!

Nick.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Possible Reply

OK I have now drafted a short possible comment on the Moving People Role Description and Application Form. I would be very grateful for any criticisms/suggestions/additions etc..

>>I have looked with considerable interest at the Role Description and Application Form for the Moving People User and Carer Advisory Group. Can I, as a mental health Service User with an interest in this area, raise a few points concerning these documents. I am concerned that if the intention is that Service Users and those with mental health issues be encouraged to participate in this initiative there is much here that is off-putting. Indeed both the Role Description and the Application Form are written in such a way that I suspect many Service Users would be instantly deterred from any further consideration of the documents, let alone of applying. Surely for many Service Users their main 'experience' is of coping with their condition and getting through the day. I appreciate that your organisation would want to attract people with a commitment but surely that needs to be tempered with an understanding of the kind of commitment which it may be possible for many Service Users to make? The documents seem to make no allowances for the particular restrictions which many Service Users operate under. One of the strengths which Service User involvement brings, apart from being right in itself, is the experience of those restrictions, but they are not really allowed for within the documents.
It is very difficult for many Service Users to 'demonstrate commitment and ability to play an active part' when they may have considerable doubts as to their own abilities as a result of those mental health issues which in fact give them the experience which is being sought.
It may be that this process is merely a first step and other ways will be considered to bring those with less confidence or experience into this project. But nonetheless I regret to say that these documents do not appear in the least 'Service User Friendly' and would tend to deter rather than encourage User involvement.<<

Thanks.

Nick.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
No comments :) - so I have sent it off anway. Will let people know if I get any response.

Nick.

D

Dollit

Actually Nick I've just read this and I think that you've voiced your passion & protest really well. It will be interesting to see what response you do get.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
It seems the experience asked for for a user job is experience of a user job, so the whole thing becomes a cliche of people

You know my view of paying people, most of those paid user workers know the only job available is as a paid user worker, despite them telling everyone that they can get jobs, thats what they're paid to say

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Actually Nick I've just read this and I think that you've voiced your passion & protest really well. It will be interesting to see what response you do get.
Many thanks Dollit. I sent it as a sort of copy to Mat at Shift (was he one of the people you said you knew?) as I got the details from him, and he has replied that they will keep my points in mind if they look at the roles of 'our expert advisors' in the future. But Venetia Boon at Moving People has been more responsive and sent a nice email saying that it was something they were 'keenly aware of' and so the comments were appreciated. She has passed the mail on to the communications officer for Moving People.

I am actually quite encouraged by this as it is a more positive response than I expected :)) probably you might say my expectations were very low!).

Anyway I will let you know if I hear anything more; but I am feeling quite pleased that I sent the mail now (although I always suffer for these things - you know, think I am making a fool/idiot of myself, usual range of depressive reactions which slip under the guard no matter how you build it up :().

Nick.