• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

    If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

    Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Moving out and getting own place -how?



Well-known member
Oct 20, 2008
I think my relationship with partner has truly reached its end. We have been 'just friends' for ages, possibly a couple of years. Before that, it was the depths of his depression and his skewed perception saw me as responsible for all sorts of problems in his life. Maybe I was.

We have both been up and down with depression etc over the last few years, and our relationship has never really recovered. Have been living in the same house, but I am finding it increasingly difficult. Emotions get strained, we end up 'sniping' at each other and feelings get hurt too often. We have kids, and I hate the effect this has on them. I hate the effect it has on me too - my self esteem has fallen through the floor, and is still going down.

I think I will have to move out. Husband says he does not want to leave kids, as it will hurt them too much. I don't want to leave kids either, but think present situation is hurting everyone. I work part time at the moment. Earn about £800 a month, but all rents for places big enough for kids are about £600 a month. Any finance ideas, anyone? I am looking for a full time job, but I am finding job hunting with no self esteem really hard - just read the details and think 'How could I do that? I can't do anything - why would they want me?'

Really wish I had someone to talk to, but p##ed off best friend really badly when very down last Spring/Summer. All other friends are joint friends of mine and partners, and I don't want to share circumstances with them - it wouldn't be fair. Sorry for rambling!


Look into Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit - they're not just for council tenants. Also because you have kids working parent Tax Credits are a possibility. Your local housing office will be able to point you in the right direction as to the first two benefits and may even be able to point you in the right direction as to tax credits. The Citizens Advice Bureau should be able to help too. Good luck xx