• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Moving Forward

Milomushi

Milomushi

I really cannot complain right now as things are changing for the better. I am going back to being a social worker after a year of waitressing and I start a new job at the end of the month. I already found an apartment and I will be moving over the next few weeks. The scary parts are that I am moving states and it will be tricky to coordinate my services: therapy and medication. Today I terminated with my therapist of four years. I know this all sounds good but I am feeling so overwhelmed and tearful. I am trying to put all the pieces together but I am really scared.

B

bpd2020

Gosh, what a lot of changes. I can totally understand you feel overwhelmed. It is hard enough changing jobs without all the other things that you have going on. Ending with your therapist is a huge thing. It can leave a person feeling bereaved. You saw them for four whole years and shared so much. I think you need to give yourself time to get over the ending of the therapy. It is hard starting a new job and moving states. Please be gentle with yourself and allow yourself to feel these things.

T

treasurebox

My doctor for several years had a stroke and could not hold consultations nor could go on with my treatment anymore. It made me feel sad. Do not be scared because you will find another good therapist. Sadness is not permanent and it will leave you in just a little while. Think happy thoughts. Think positive.

D

Dispatch

Milomushi ... I don’t know why, but for some reason I really get a sense of how truly strong you are ... the first half or so that is ... lol ... anyways, I think you got this ... sometimes a change is EXACTLY what is needed ... congrats

T

treasurebox

Thank you. I have read and heard that when sadness or negative thoughts come to a person, in order to overcome replace thoughts with good ones and good possibilities. Remember, you were made to be happy. So, choose to be happy.

Milomushi

Milomushi

My anxiety is now increasing and it is very physical and won't go away. I am afraid that I will not be able to handle all these changes. I also feel like this is my last chance. I have had to leave a social work job twice in the past 6 years and if I have to leave again I don't think that I can live with myself. I am really trying here and not trying to go to that place but I always do. I am actually looking forward to having a new therapist I guess with a new perspective I just hope I don't scare her off.

T

treasurebox

There is always a good therapist out there for you. Anxiety is a choice. When anxiety thoughts enter your mind it will be good for your to think of something good and positive for the anxiety attack to stop. Listening to good music will also be good to you too. Or watching a good film. Remember that anxiety attack will be there as long as you let it stay in your mind. Decide to defeat and ger rid of the anxiety attack and it will leave you. Replace your thoughts with peaceful and restful thoughts.

OCDguy

OCDguy

It sounds a bit like you feel out of your depth without a familiar support network behind you. Take comfort in knowing there should be past notes, and one professional should be able to take over from the last. Ofcourse you are probably familiar with just one face, and will have to build a rapport and become used to another. The support however should (in my opinion) just continue... Hope this helps :)

Milomushi

Milomushi

Things are coming together and I am calming down. I move in a week and start work in two. I have a therapist lined up but I am still struggling to find a psychiatrist that is willing to prescribe Clozaril (most refuse). I have been involved in equine therapy and horse care and I am visiting a place tomorrow to talk to them about volunteering and visit with the horses and donkeys. Thank you for your support at this time.

T

treasurebox

That is good for you. It is great for you to be able to have equine therapy. Not everyone has that kind of therapy. It is always good to have something good and meaningful to do.
The following songs have helped and continue to help me everyday:

Fearless by Jasmine Murray
Overcomer by Mandisa
Good Morning by Mandisa
Happy by Pharrell Williams
I believe I Can Fly by R. Kelly

You can all find them in youtube
They are mind and heart boosters. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Y

YogiLife

I really cannot complain right now as things are changing for the better. I am going back to being a social worker after a year of waitressing and I start a new job at the end of the month. I already found an apartment and I will be moving over the next few weeks. The scary parts are that I am moving states and it will be tricky to coordinate my services: therapy and medication. Today I terminated with my therapist of four years. I know this all sounds good but I am feeling so overwhelmed and tearful. I am trying to put all the pieces together but I am really scared.
It's understandable, really big changes that everyone will feel excited for you about but it doesn't take away how anxiety provoking it is- I'd be sh****ng my pants (don't know if we can swear on here lol). Do you have anyone in your personal life you can talk things through with who can support you through the transition?

Milomushi

Milomushi

I have an intake with a new therapist today. I am opening up a little more towards my family but they really have to pry and ask intrusive questions to get to that point. Animals are good supports for me and today I visit the horses and in a month or so I am getting a dog and registering it as an emotional support animal.

T

treasurebox

It is good to have a dog. It is a good and sweet companion. Caring and being with a dog is therapeutic and it makes you happier.

Milomushi

Milomushi

I didn't love the therapist but I will give it a chance. The horses were great! I completed an application to volunteer with equine therapy.

T

treasurebox

I did not like my doctor at first, but I began to like as we went through the process for my wellness. Volunteering is a great opportunity for you to have a better mindset and a better life.