• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Movies, Song and Books that remind you of BPD!

W

WhySoSerious

Thought this may be a somewhat fun thread to get going...

Have you any movies, books or songs that remind you of having or being around someone with BPD? I don't necessarily mean portrayals of people with BPD particularly (Girl Interrupted being the key one that comes to mind) but just instances where either a theme or character comes across as familar...

I will go first...

"Raise Your Glass" by Pink. Just brings to mind how isolated and alienated one can feel from society when you have BPD.

"Please don't leave me" also by Pink.

The Appeal (by Janice Hallett) has a character called Issy (Isabel) who screams BPD to me. Sometimes over-sharing, at other times clingy, caring though can be a tad too much when getting a FP.

Holden Caulfield from Catcher in the Rye tends to have this aimless, fickle sense of hopelessness that reminds me of a younger me.

Any others? Please note that we also want fun entries too!

Tawny

Tawny

Staff member
Forum Guide
Girl Interupted is the classic one although i'm not sure Winona Ryder's character is a good example of EUPD.

There are many films that are said to be about women with EUPD but again i think they are innacurate and critical.

I think my favourite would be Good Will Hunting as i think he would probably have been diagnosed with BPD had he been suicidal and ended up in psychiatric care rather than the criminal courts.

bpdreamlover

bpdreamlover

movie: gia (1998)
song: crying by pom pom squad

F

FuzzyAlligator

Most of Maddie Dawson's books have a character with some sort of personality disorder - I don't know if she does it on purpose or for entertainment value. I read her book "A Piece of Normal" last summer and the sister just screams BPD to me.

F

FuzzyAlligator

Also, apparently the movie "Rachel getting married" -the sister (played by Anne Hathaway) is supposed to be BPD though I haven't seen it

W

WhySoSerious

Some people say that Bellatrix in Harry Potter has BPD. I am unsure. Seems more anti-social to me and it certainly paints BPD in a very sinister light. There could be aspects of it (needing stimulation, impulsive etc) but I wouldn't say that is representative!

Other ones I've googled are:

Fatal Attraction - Glenn Close's character Alex.
Darth Vader - Really?!
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - hamfisted attempt to portray BPD
Misery - Annie Wilkes - "I'm your biggest fan" - smashes her FP's legs so he can't get away!

As someone else said, these are rather negative depictions. Where are the positive ones!?

MollyBloom

MollyBloom

“Feel Good” is about a lesbian with clear symptoms of BPD who is coping with stress by seeking instant gratification by having sex. She is really annoying me. I absolutely don’t like her character but these series are giving a good insight in BPD.

U

Urban_Spaceman

Manic Street Preachers album The Holy bible Richie Edwards was clearly a troubled young man, warning the album is daaaark. & Movie wise one flew over the cuckoo's nest I feel like Jack Nicholson I'm my own normal but that's just not enough for a lot of people who have a construct of what normal. Behaviour is.