• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Motivation problems

sallyG

sallyG

im suffering with a total lack of motivation.its been going on for months. I have to force myself out of bed..then it takes me ages to get dressed..if indeed i get dressed at all...i have to will myself to get in the bath etc etc.once im dressed it does make me feel a little better until i get to things like doing the housework.Im ok at running the hoover through and dusting and polishing but ask me to do anything else and im hopeless.Take today for instance..my grass needs cutting..its needed to be done for over a week now and normally i love to mow the lawns..but because i dont want to be outside im putting it off and off.I sit there looking at the jobs that need doing and never seem to get round to doing them until weeks later.I never used to be as bad as this..i have no get up and go in me,,it got up and left.
My thoughts are disorganised and racing,..i thought the meds were supposed to help with that but no..it hasnt..if anything im a zombie now.im isolated because it feels safer to be that way.I cant even articulate what i want to say in normal conversations..it seems my power of words has vanished.
on the plus side..im sleeping well..my meds knock me out..I think im depressed again..

R

railtown

me too. my house is a pile of rubble. i try to do things, but i only get them half done. i spend a lot of time staring at nothing.

i think the thing to do is to force ourselves to be around interesting, motivated people, which seem surprisingly hard to find.

A

Apotheosis

I find motivation very hard. I do get stuff done, but it's often a struggle. I have observed that some days things go very smoothly & I can get a lot done, & then other days virtually nothing gets done. Some days in the winter I have laid on the floor most of the day in front of the heater, just getting up to get a bag of crisps & a snack, because I am so exhausted & done in.

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
Sally, yet again it could have been me writing that!! At the moment (and I'm very embarrassed admitting it) I've not had a bath for 3 days!! I'm forcing myself into one today but thats all it is - forcing myself!! I know you're on risperidone too and I really have noticed a marked difference in my motivation on this med. I'm going to get my psych to change it next week and if the next ones as bad I'm going to try to come off them altogether. At the moment I'll try anything!!!

shaun3210

shaun3210

I have very little motivation over the last few years, I find simple everyday things that I used to take for granted and enjoy a nightmare at times, try not to give yourself to hard a time about it, I used to be really hard on myself about it, but I’m a bit more accepting now and things seem a little easier on a good day :)

P

Paranoid MisterE

I also get this lack of motivation. As mentioned above sometimes i get up and sit about in the clothes from the day before if i even bother to get out of bed. I have tried activity scheduling where i write down what i plan to do between each hours but end up just switching my laptop on and faffing about.

My mum recently left a list of jobs she would like to be done while on holiday, i never got through 1, thankfully my sister was here or the place would have probably been a mess.

Its annoying though because i get the feeling people just think im being lazy, i have had comments like "well you can motivate yourself to go out with your friends!" The doc keeps saying you have to force yourself to do things but i dont think they realise how hard it is!

S

shelly

hiya,

I'm just the same I hate house work its a real effort try not to beat yourself up about it :hug:. My head is racing constantly too, I start one job then lose concentration and go on to do something else:mad:

R

railtown

I'm just the same I hate house work its a real effort try not to beat yourself up about it :hug:. My head is racing constantly too, I start one job then lose concentration and go on to do something else:mad:
i'm like that too, i end up starting so many tasks and half finishing them all. i'm always doing several things at once, and it's not very effective.

D

diddypinks

ACCOUNT CLOSED
hi there i agree with lucky i was on respiradone for a whole year speking for myself it was hell i was blank girl . i told my cpn and she told me about quitiapine i take 200mg to sleep at night and it lasts till the next day. but meds are different for everyone but i would never take that drug again good luck diddy:D